Official 2009-2010 NHL Thread

i forgot about the hawks/red wings game so channel surfing on directv i found they were gonna replay it on the nhl network and those tools splash the final score across the screen during the replay...thanx for ruining it for me, great game though.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 18, 2010 -> 07:09 AM)
I don't follow hockey as much as I used to as a little kid but really, I could do without the fighting, it cheapens the sport in my opinion...

I thought that was a good scrap though. Both players average one fight a year, they don't look for fights every game.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 18, 2010 -> 06:09 AM)
I don't follow hockey as much as I used to as a little kid but really, I could do without the fighting, it cheapens the sport in my opinion...

Its a part of the game. Honestly this fight was pretty important as it really seemed to shift the momentum of the game back to Detroit.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 18, 2010 -> 06:09 AM)

Then you dont truly understand the role fighting plays in hockey. Its not something that is random or is only for show, self policing is a huge part of hockey.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 18, 2010 -> 10:17 PM)
Not in the Olympics. International is very vague, as there are a million different leagues with their own sets of rules.

International rules and international sized-ice is focused on an almost totally different game than the NHL.

What good is it to give up the fewest shots allowed in the league when your goalie lets 20% of them past him? I have always been a supporter of Huet and I know hes capable of playing very well, but if he hits a cold streak like this in May, your season will end very quickly. I'm sure Niemi will keep getting his chances to play, we'll see if he can keep it up.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 11:07 AM)
JR was on Waddle and Silvy today and said the Hawks won't win the Cup without getting a better goaltender. I think the Hawks should give Niemi the #1 duties for a solid period of time before jumping to that conclusion, however.

If the Wings can win with Osgood, the Hawks can win with Huet.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 09:54 AM)

I want Niemi starting. You can tell the guy cares and is trying hard, and he's got a flair for the big game. If Huet is in goal against Detroit last Sunday, the Hawks are down by four at second intermission. Huet is a guy who has a knack for making games far more interesting than necessary.

In the mid-90s at the beginning of Detroit's dynasty, Chris Osgood was young and unproven, yes. What did Detroit do? They went out and picked up Mike Vernon, who split the regular season goaltending duties in the regular season and started in the playoffs. Osgood won one on his own in '97, and for the next run, Detroit went out and got Dominik Hasek, at the time the most elite goaltender in the league.

I don't remember Osgood spending whole periods on his knees building snowmen in the crease or letting in at least a soft goal or two by either playing out of position or general apathy.

Buy out Huet, send him on a bus to Rockford, and get someone like Giguere to mentor Niemi.

I can't stand Huet, I want his ass fired already.

Edited by Drew

QUOTE (Drew @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 09:32 PM)
I want Niemi starting. You can tell the guy cares and is trying hard, and he's got a flair for the big game. If Huet is in goal against Detroit last Sunday, the Hawks are down by four at second intermission. Huet is a guy who has a knack for making games far more interesting than necessary.

In the mid-90s at the beginning of Detroit's dynasty, Chris Osgood was young and unproven, yes. What did Detroit do? They went out and picked up Mike Vernon, who split the regular season goaltending duties in the regular season and started in the playoffs. He won one on his own in '97, and for the next run, Detroit went out and got Dominik Hasek, at the time the most elite goaltender in the league.

I don't remember Osgood spending whole periods on his knees building snowmen in the crease or letting in at least a soft goal or two by either playing out of position or general apathy.

Buy out Huet, send him on a bus to Rockford, and get someone like Giguere to mentor Niemi.

I can't stand Huet, I want his ass fired already.

You don't remember Osgood giving up goals on essentially dump ins from a step inside center ice?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 07:42 PM)
You don't remember Osgood giving up goals on essentially dump ins from a step inside center ice?

I was only slightly hyperbolic, but I do—my main point is that Detroit fixed their goaltending questions with elite veterans in both Vernon and later Hasek.

Huet is a guy who has been around the league for quite a while and if he was going to figure it out, he would have done so by now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 11:54 AM)

In theory this is true, but I'd be more confident in Huet if he had ever won a playoff series before.

Although Niemi hasn't either, so that point is probably moot.

The bigger point to all of this is, I don't think the Hawks brass is looking to move Huet, and even if they were, the takers are few and far between.

They'd have to make a second major deal to acquire an upper-level goalie anyway.

If you can't get an elite goalie from anyone, then you're just trading Huet for another question mark, and what's the point of that?

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 08:02 AM)
In theory this is true, but I'd be more confident in Huet if he had ever won a playoff series before.

Although Niemi hasn't either, so that point is probably moot.

The bigger point to all of this is, I don't think the Hawks brass is looking to move Huet, and even if they were, the takers are few and far between.

They'd have to make a second major deal to acquire an upper-level goalie anyway.

If you can't get an elite goalie from anyone, then you're just trading Huet for another question mark, and what's the point of that?

Well I think Niemi would be the starter than and your trading Huet to allow the hawks to resign Sharp, Versteeg, etc. I think its evident that Niemi is at least a lateral move from Huet so the hawks aren't losing anything by getting rid of him.

Personally I need to see Niemi fail before I'm not convinced he can be our #1 option. You have to give him some run before you go out and get another 'tender. He has a .921 save percentage and has picked it up in big games.

Give me Niemi! (starting tonight, btw)

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 21, 2010 -> 08:52 AM)
Well I think Niemi would be the starter than and your trading Huet to allow the hawks to resign Sharp, Versteeg, etc. I think its evident that Niemi is at least a lateral move from Huet so the hawks aren't losing anything by getting rid of him.

I like what I've seen from Niemi so far, but I'm a little hesitant to hand him the keys without a solid veteran backup (if Huet is dealt).

I wouldn't make any moves before making Niemi the #1 guy and seeing how he responds to more playing time, back-to-back games, and teams having more of a book on him.

I wonder what old warhorses are out there who can be had for not that much in terms of cash and/or personnel in trade?