"One small step for man"...40th Anniversary

RibbieRubarb

Thursday July 16 marks the 40th anniversary of the launch of Apollo 11 that culminated with astronaut Neil Armstrong becoming the first human to step foot on the moon.

To commemorate the event, The John F. Kennedy Presidential Library & Museum has an online experience which allows users to track the Apollo 11 mission from pre-launch to lunar touchdown. Prelaunch is already underway. Really cool stuff.

http://wechoosethemoon.org/

:usa

I think it was a few weeks later, but Chicago had a parade for the astronauts. I took my little brother to it. Unfortunately, due to my drug usage at the time, I hardly remember it. I'm sure my little brother remembers it. The only thing I really remember was seeing Mayor Daley.

Next time someone argues that the moon landing was faked, asked that person why NASA would decide to use real astronauts instead of actors and bring up how the director would've reshot the scene after the line was screwed up.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 06:06 AM)
Next time someone argues that the moon landing was faked, asked that person why NASA would decide to use real astronauts instead of actors and bring up how the director would've reshot the scene after the line was screwed up.

Unless they just said he screwed up the line to make it seem authentic... :unsure:

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 07:06 AM)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 15, 2009 -> 09:44 AM)
Unless they just said he screwed up the line to make it seem authentic... :unsure:

Ya there are many reasons to defend against people who claim it was faked but that is not one of them. If they are trying to make it look real, using real astronauts instead of actors and without ultra scripted 100% grammatically correct sentences would be a lot more plausible.

New Moon Footage: NASA To Release Remastered Moon Landing Footage

NASA will hold a media briefing at 11 a.m. EDT on Thursday, July 16, at the Newseum in Washington to release greatly improved video imagery from the July 1969 live broadcast of the Apollo 11 moonwalk.

The release will feature 15 key moments from Neil Armstrong's and Buzz Aldrin's historic moonwalk using what is believed to be the best available broadcast-format copies of the lunar excursion, some of which had been locked away for nearly 40 years. The initial video released Thursday is part of a comprehensive Apollo 11 moonwalk restoration project expected to be completed by the fall.

The Newseum is located at 555 Pennsylvania Ave. N.W. The news conference will be broadcast live on NASA Television and streamed on the agency's Internet homepage.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 09:41 AM)
I still think it would have been crazy if Armstrong would have stepped on the moon and been like "OH my god, aliens everywhere. 20 feet tall, shooting lasers."

Mass hysteria.

In the book "Rocket Men" by Craig Nelson, Buzz Aldrin says the astronauts joked about bringing gold dust up with them and sprinkling it on the collected moon rocks. If that had happened, the moon would probably be colonized by now.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 08:40 AM)
In the book "Rocket Men" by Craig Nelson, Buzz Aldrin says the astronauts joked about bringing gold dust up with them and sprinkling it on the collected moon rocks. If that had happened, the moon would probably be colonized by now.

Amazingly, we'd have been able to tell long ago that they did that.

QUOTE (DanksFan @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 03:28 PM)
It's nice that I can post some alternative opinions and not get blasted for it here. I don't necessarily believe everything in that article I posted, I thought it would just be good to provide an alternative opinion, true or false. Thank you for being open minded, Soxtalk posters. :bringit

If you want, some of us can make a legit challenge on the physics of those claims.

QUOTE (DanksFan @ Jul 17, 2009 -> 05:28 PM)
It's nice that I can post some alternative opinions and not get blasted for it here. I don't necessarily believe everything in that article I posted, I thought it would just be good to provide an alternative opinion, true or false. Thank you for being open minded, Soxtalk posters. :bringit

Sorry, Dude, but I thought that article was satire (what with its references to OJ, Martha Stewart, Monica Lewinsky, etc.). I didn't mean to "blast" anyone, but I'm pretty sure the author did.