Official 2009-2010 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 26, 2009 -> 01:27 PM)
I really hate when refs decide a game. By the way congrats Michigan,

Signed,

The Refs

Whatever. the refs decided the game on a call 70 yards from the end zone? How stupid is that? The call was questionable yes. But it's a judgement call. The referees on the field don't have the luxury of seeing it 14 times in slow motion like you do watching tv. Obviously the replay referee didn't see enough to overturn it and quite frankly I understand that. The first time you could actually see the ball in the replay was after they hit the ground and Donovan Warren definitely had possession even before he ripped it out. As they caught the ball and hit the ground, the replays did not allow you to actually see the positioning of the ball. But either way, saying the referees decided a game on a call like that is ridiculous.

What a win for Houston, again, and in probably the best game i've seen this year. Back to back wins on back to back weekends at Oklahoma State and vs. Texas Tech would be really good for any school in America, and certainly for a C-USA team. They BETTER be in a BCS Bowl over Boise State if both teams go undefeated (although TCU won at Clemson today, so they might be a candidate too in that mix, and the Oregon win looks better for Boise by the day). Don't even want to talk about my guys today, NIU did not show up and Illinois might as well start the new coaching search now.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Well today totally sucked but I cant say that I didnt see it coming. We dont have the running backs and O-line to play smash mouth football and thats what we needed today to have any chance.

Well OU next week then we can get to some easy games which the team and the fans watching could def. use right about now.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Sep 27, 2009 -> 12:16 AM)
Well today totally sucked but I cant say that I didnt see it coming. We dont have the running backs and O-line to play smash mouth football and thats what we needed today to have any chance.

Well OU next week then we can get to some easy games which the team and the fans watching could def. use right about now.

The rain absolutely killed you guys today. Not saying you win in ideal conditions, but no way the game goes like that.

Update on the questionable call on the interception in the IU-Michigan game. Per the head of officials for the Big Ten...

The call on the field was an interception. The replay booth could only rule whether a catch was made or if it was incomplete, not caught by whom. The replay booth cannot rule it a simultaneous catch, so that was not an option. If the call was ruled a catch by the receiver on the field, it would have likely been upheld as well.

The bottom line is the officials on the field don't have the luxury of multiple angle replays and are often partially blocked by players. They made a judement call. Saying that call cost IU the game is not realistic. Saying that call cost IU an opportunity to win is fair, yet the call itself may or may not have been wrong depending on one's point of view.

The call in the Michigan/Indiana game was definitely a bad call, but games aren't won and lost on that, plus it's not like that play was even in Michigan territory. In addition, Indiana should have played better defense and/or not settled for 4 field goals in the red zone if they wanted to win.

I understand that IU should have really converted in the red zone, 4 field goals just doesn't get it done (not to mention the one missed FG, that would have left the game tied). But it still would have been nice to at least have a chance to at least get in field goal range (because we had at least 2, maybe 3, timeouts left at that point). I think what gets me most about it is that we weren't thought to have a chance in this game (me included), we haven't beaten Michigan since 1987, haven't won in the Big House since 1967, and we played so much better than we have this season. It would have been nice to the chance to have that comeback, is all.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Sep 27, 2009 -> 01:24 AM)
The bottom line is the officials on the field don't have the luxury of multiple angle replays and are often partially blocked by players.

It's true, they don't. However, both players were clearly fighting for the ball, and if they couldn't even, as you said, completely see the play as they might have been blocked by players, then they still wouldn't be able to see who had it in midair and whatnot. Still, you don't give the ball to Michigan because you can't tell who came up with it. That doesn't make any sense.

I am shocked at how good IU appears to be this season. And with the Big 10, once again, appearing to be as bad as it's ever been in football this year, you guys have a shot at having a very nice season. I won't argue today is a painful loss either because you outplayed Michigan IMO overall, the field goals were just killer.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I went into this season expecting 3-4 wins, and the first two games proved that. Eked out wins against Eastern Kentucky (Yes, they are an FCS team) and Western Michigan at home, but then last week turned it on against Akron at their new stadium. I was happy sitting at 3-0, but obviously not too confident the strength (or lackthereof) of our schedule. I expected to lose today by something like 42-20, so the fact that we pretty much outplayed Michigan in their place is great. I'm now more optimistic about our bowl chances, but only if offense can keep up how they did today.

Speaking of our offense, Darius Willis has a chance to be a beast. He was pretty highly thought of coming in, redshirted last year, and before today played a fair amount but not a lot. But he looked absolutely great today (even before that 85 yard run). He was breaking tackles, consistently getting a few yards at the end of each run, and he also showed more speed than I thought he had. Very impressive on the whole, and he will need to keep it up to give Ben Chappell a chance to throw the ball. Also, Tandon Doss is pretty special. He's looked really, really good this season, and he's proved to be pretty valuable on end-arounds too.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Sep 27, 2009 -> 11:52 AM)
For the rest of the season, I'll be betting on Michigan OVERS if its around 60 points.

Michigan will have to outscore teams to win, no doubt. They have good athletes on D, but zero depth and are undersized. The basically have the wrong personnel when factoring in depth to play a true 4-3 or 3-4. On offense, the can strike at any time.

All that said don't overlook the fact they've played all 4 games at home so far & 89 out of their 120 man roster (walk-ons included) are frosh or sophs.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 03:32 PM)
Also, apparently UNM head coach Mike Locksley punched their receivers coach. This season just gets crazier by the day.

I am guessing this used to happen more often than we ever knew... We just have more ways about finding out about these things today.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Sep 29, 2009 -> 09:30 PM)
Very true. That won't change this Sat., however. If they can outscore MSU, their real test will be the following week on the road at Iowa.

MSU does have a defensive minded head coach however. I envision it being close like the ND game.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 29, 2009 -> 08:44 PM)
MSU does have a defensive minded head coach however. I envision it being close like the ND game.

I see your vision and can't argue with it a bit. The only wrinkle I could see is if Forcier is hurt worse than they are saying or if he takes a hit and his shoulder can't hold up. At that point who knows what would happen.