Jim Parque

BigSqwert

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 10:09 AM)
After you take away taxes, he earned plenty of money by the time his arm fell off. Unless he squandered all of his money, he should have been able to have a nice nest egg where he could have easily gotten by for a while, while he looked for a new job to support his family with.

I think Jim is full of crap.

Baseball reference also says the following that I never knew, may have been getting paid decent minor league cash from 04-07 also.

January 28, 2004: Signed as a Free Agent with the Arizona Diamondbacks.

January 22, 2007: Released by the Arizona Diamondbacks.

February 5, 2007: Signed as a Free Agent with the Seattle Mariners.

May 31, 2007: Released by the Seattle Mariners.

QUOTE (almagest @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 10:09 AM)
He actually says the realization that his priorities were not focused on his family helped him stop his brief usage of steroids. I don't see how this equates to "doing it for his family".

Did you bother reading the article? Because he didn't get a big contract because of steroids, at all. He used them as a last chance to resurrect his career.

As pointed out just now, he lied in 2007. How do we know he still isn't lying?

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 10:13 AM)
As pointed out just now, he lied in 2007. How do we know he still isn't lying?
We don't. But he's only listed as buying shipments from Radonsky in 2003, which corroborates with the story he's telling.

SoxNet's Commentary on the Story

Jim Parque Confesses, Explains HGH Useage

Good article. I commend Parque for being so honest and up-front. I also admit that I've always understood why players would turn to roids. If your a borderline player or a player seeing his career flush down the toilet your going to do every last thing to keep your job. Jimmy did exactly that.

However, He loses me when he says he did it to keep a life-style for his family. The reality is he still made a lot of money playing baseball (more than most Americans will make in a life-time). Should we excuse Madock if he said he was just trying to keep his lifestyle? Or what about the Enron execs because the reality is that Parque did something that was ethically wrong (although his actions didn't effect investors).

I am not so fast to throw stones at Parque like some are and will be after reading this. Regardless whether it was right or wrong etc, the bottom line is it was not against the rules when he used it. Really I don't care and don't even see this being a story, but this is just my .02

QUOTE (RibbieRubarb @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 09:35 AM)
Blah Blah...I still will never forgive him for eating all the Pizza at Riddles Comedy Club in Orland Park during the Comic Relief Pitchers benefit show in 2000.

:lolhitting

Though I will always love John Rooney, at the same event, saying "f*** You Thome" regarding Jim Thome.

Or Valentin telling the Sox, Thank you for getting me the F*** out of Milwaukee!!