What is it going to take for Buehrle to win the Cy Young Award this ye

IamtheHBOMB

As of right now:

• Ranks 1st in AL in W (11)

• Ranks 6th in AL in IP (134.1)

• Ranks 7th in AL in ERA (3.28)

• Ranks 4th in AL in WHIP (1.10)

• Ranks 1st in AL in W% (.786)

I'm thinking he needs 20 wins, which is very doable. I also think that he probably needs to get his ERA a bit lower - maybe around 3.00 or a bit under. It is probably pretty important that the Sox win the division again. If he does those things, I think he has a chance. The perfect game creates a lot of clout that he hasn't had up to this point in his career. People are being forced to recognize how great he is from season to season. Let me hear your opinions!

Edited by IamtheHBOMB

At some point, the league had better recognize Mark for his amazing contribution to the game of baseball and award him a Cy Young. For cripes sake, the guy is one of only a few pitchers who can even be on the same LIST as Cy Young.. pitchers who have a No Hitter and a Perfect Game... he will be tough to ignore if he keeps pitching like this.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 03:47 PM)
Lower ERA is definitely a biggy. If he gets it to 2.80, he'll win it.

Not sure about that. But if he gets it under 3, wins at least 18 games, and the Sox win the division, I think that he has a good shot.

Based on WHIP, this is the best season that Mark has had since 2005.

He just needs to raise his national profile, in the media.

My suggestion: move to the other side of town, then start insulting umpires, getting thrown out of games, throwing balls into the outfield and gloves into the dugout, and beating up the Gatorade dispenser.

Then he will be the highest profile pitcher in town, and perhaps get some national recognition.

carlos_zambrano_breaks_gatorade_machine_300x200.jpg

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 06:09 PM)
He just needs to raise his national profile, in the media.

My suggestion: move to the other side of town, then start insulting umpires, getting thrown out of games, throwing balls into the outfield and gloves into the dugout, and beating up the Gatorade dispenser.

Then he will be the highest profile pitcher in town, and perhaps get some national recognition.

carlos_zambrano_breaks_gatorade_machine_300x200.jpg

I feel your pain, and point taken ... but lets keep the cubs out of this glorious day. This is Mark's day.

His ERA has to be super low.

Like in the high 2s or low 3s.

He also has to win 20+ games.

The White Sox would also probably have to be in contention or win the AL Central.

He also needs Halladay to get traded to the NL, Felix Hernandez to suck or get hurt, and Zack Greinke to suck.

Right now, he might be 4th or 5th in terms of Cy Young voting.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 07:14 PM)
Between a no hitter, a home run, a perfect game, and a save in the WS, he's kind of the king of the unexpected.

I fully expect his next trick to be a home run in this year's WS.

So should this homer be a walkoff, or a grand slam to give the Sox the lead?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 06:21 PM)
So should this homer be a walkoff, or a grand slam to give the Sox the lead?

Might as well be the ultimate grand slam to win the game. If he were to hit a grand slam when down 3 runs, with 2 outs, on a 3-2 pitch, while being the the home team, he could pretty much say he has done it all. The ultimate grand slam has never been accomplished in major league baseball history thus far.

QUOTE (Soxguy @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 06:30 PM)
Didn't he have a really rough outting after his no no in 2007?

If he lowers the ERA like everyone else said he could be in the mix. Of course another perfect game would help.

If you call 7 innings of 3 run ball a bad outing, then yes.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 07:33 PM)
Might as well be the ultimate grand slam to win the game. If he were to hit a grand slam when down 3 runs, with 2 outs, on a 3-2 pitch, while being the the home team, he could pretty much say he has done it all. The ultimate grand slam has never been accomplished in major league baseball history thus far.

Well I would say f*** it and let Mark do this to clinch Game 4 but the AL won the All-Star game again, so it would have to be Game 6 or Game 7. I'd rather the Sox sweep but hey why not, if anybody's gonna hit a grand slam with 2 outs, full count in the bottom of the 9th down 3 in Game 7 of the World Series to win it all it might as well be Mark.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 06:26 PM)
Pretty much. Weaver to a much lesser extent. If Halladay gets traded to the NL it gets real interesting. It's gonna be tough to beat out Felix.

I'm hoping Halladay goes to the Phillies/Mets/whoever because then Mark becomes top three material. He really has to pitch well in the last two months, though I believe the perfect game can help to offset a higher ERA. It would be nice to see him get a couple more complete games in as well. I think he has a good chance right now.