The Day After-- Sox vs Tigers (Contreras vs Verlander) 12:05PM CSN

jasonxctf

Ball game.

Wise had a tough battle and gotta give him props...he fouls off a 101 mile per hour fastball and then an 80 mph curve. Plus he made a reasonably big catch yesterday.

Lets get this one tonight...tell Colon he gets a free pass to the local buffett if he pitches well.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jimmywins1 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 02:42 PM)
Verlander is a f*cking machine, too bad Leyland is going to blow out his arm by constantly pitching him into the 115-125 range.

Pitchers used to do that all the time. I think it's over-rated. Verlander will remain healthy if it's 'in the cards' for him. So far, he's been pretty durable.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 01:43 PM)
Ball game.

Wise had a tough battle and gotta give him props...he fouls off a 101 mile per hour fastball and then an 80 mph curve. Plus he made a reasonably big catch yesterday.

Lets get this one tonight...tell Colon he gets a free pass to the local buffett if he pitches well.

That could work for sure. Reward him with eats.

QUOTE (DanksFan @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 02:44 PM)
Gordon needs to be a bit more patient with bases loaded nobody out. Oh well... he's learning.

He was also faced against one of the more imposing righties in the game...Good as baseball is in the Southeastern Conference, he's never faced an arm like Verlanders.

Wise actually had a pretty good game at the plate today. Legging out a double, two good at-bats going deep in the count. His last two at-bats Verlander really reared dug deep for some extra gas and Wise kept up with him. In that last AB he fouled off a 99 mph pitch, followed by 100 mph, and then stuck with the 81 mph breaker on the next pitch. Sure he ground out both times but still good ABs for him and his confidence.

QUOTE (Cochise @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 02:44 PM)
What do you bet that Ozzie puts in a crappy Sunday lineup for game 2?

I would imagine you would get Pods and Wise, since I doubt they put Q in both games of a DH at this point. Castro will go. However, losing this one you can't put Fields in at 1st, PK and Dye are going to have to start tonight (unless Thome can't go both games, then I imagine PK will DH and Fields will play 1st.)

Horrible approach against Verlander in the last half of that game. He pitched well, but too much early hacking at borderline pitches. They had his pitch count up around 80 early on and let him breeze through the last half.

I dunno what to attribute this kind of season to, so typical after a huge awesome day the next is just terrible outright horrible play. I know I know I know this is a learning season but man this Jekyll and Hyde syndrome has got to stop. It is driving all of us insane. How can it literally be that the team played their hearts out for Buerhle yesterday and today as flat as an F'in pancake. Downright terrible. I really hate to bring on the doom and gloom but this has the makings of another tailspin again if they don't snap out of it. 3 errors at this stage of the season is simply inexcusable. Man this just has to stop!! And then no hitting again again again. I just go nuts when they don't seem motivated. This really worse than a 100 loss team. On these kind of days they don't even try. Failure ok but not willing to try is unacceptable.

Sorry for the rant all I am just really tired of all the bad play!! Really sick of it.

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 02:47 PM)
Wise actually had a pretty good game at the plate today. Legging out a double, two good at-bats going deep in the count. His last two at-bats Verlander really reared dug deep for some extra gas and Wise kept up with him. In that last AB he fouled off a 99 mph pitch, followed by 100 mph, and then stuck with the 81 mph breaker on the next pitch. Sure he ground out both times but still good ABs for him and his confidence.

he's either 30 or 31 and a career minor leaguer, at this point confidence isn't going to do much. That tremendous catch yesterday shouldn't blind people from the fact that he is a below average hitter, and likely will remain so

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 12:50 PM)
I dunno what to attribute this kind of season to, so typical after a huge awesome day the next is just terrible outright horrible play.

Justin Verlander. He's very, very good. And when we win 3 of 4 you'll feel much better. I gare-on-tee

Justin Verlander. He's very, very good. And when we win 3 of 4 you'll feel much better. I gare-on-tee

Dude, it wouldn't be so bad if they just f'in tried. That is what makes this season so painful. Remember the 9-10 shutouts? Who the heck wants to go throgh that again. Man I swear sometimes I just can't figure them out offensively. And I have not even started on that terrible bonehead lapse they have on defense every other day.Whoa not worth gettig upset about but it can't be the same team that just taught the defending AL champs a lesson in fundamentals!!!!!!!!! Where the heck did they go? Becks is a rookie and you have to allow for that but the rest, dunno!!!

Edited by chisoxfan09

1) Leyland is destroying Verlander and Jackson. Porcello is already wearing down.

2) The "bad" Contreras is back again....KW really should add another starter (5th) as insurance.

3) Even Beckham has his off days offensively. We just didn't make him pay early...but the guy was throwing much harder than Jenks does after 120+ pitches, into the 9th inning.

4) The team was due to be a little flat after yesterday...and the nightcap match-up is a better one for us.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 01:06 PM)
2) The "bad" Contreras is back again....KW really should add another starter (5th) as insurance.

Contreras gave us 6+ innings of 2 run ball and seemed like he was left out there too long to me.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 01:02 PM)
Dude, it wouldn't be so bad if they just f'in tried. That is what makes this season so painful. Remember the 9-10 shutouts? Who the heck wants to go throgh that again. Man I swear sometimes I just can't figure them out offensively. And I have not even started on that terrible bonehead lapse they have on defense every other day.Whoa not worth gettig upset about but it can't be the same team that just taught the defending AL champs a lesson in fundamentals!!!!!!!!! Where the heck did they go? Becks is a rookie and you have to allow for that but the rest, dunno!!!

i'm less upset - i had this one penciled in with an L all week. Verlander's outstanding at home.

I gotta take a chill pill on these rants. But man that 6-8 week streak where they got shut out by nobodies was God awful. I was ready to throw the towel in. Much better since then but days like today rewind the clock back for me to that terrible streak.