Mark Buehrle Enjoys Hunting

whitesoxmanager

when our physical make up and history don't agree

Depends on how you view history.

Are we talking 100 years, 1,000 years, 100,000 years or 100,000,000 years.

Most ape and chimpanzee diets are comprised of fruits and vegetables. You generally dont see silver back gorillas hunting down gazelles.

Edited by Soxbadger

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 10:42 AM)
LOL at the s*** we go through on a daily basis. You need to go to the softball game so I can have a beer with you.

It really can get goofy sometimes. Whats this about a softball game?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 11:03 AM)

Most ape and chimpanzee diets are comprised of fruits and vegetables. You generally dont see silver back gorillas hunting down gazelles.

Chimps like to eat meat.

I guess the word "most" has lost all meaning?

Not to mention:

Today, we know that chimpanzees everywhere eat mainly fruit, but are also predators in their forest ecosystem

They are omnivores, they obviously eat some meat. Which is why I said you "generally" as there may be an occasion where it actually did happen.

Im not sure where you are going with the argument, other than to support the fact that most of our ancestors eat more fruits and vegetables than meat.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 12:05 PM)
It's going to be biased documentary.

Check it out and let me know what you think. There isn't a whole lot of dialogue. Mostly video images.

In fact you can watch it on google video for free: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=63...lient=firefox-a

Edited by knightni

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 12:07 PM)
Check it out and let me know what you think. There isn't a whole lot of dialogue. Mostly video images.

In fact you can watch it on google video for free:http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6361872964130308142&ei=Ht9tStnnOqXSrQK5_8B2&q=earthlings&hl=en&client=firefox-a

I'll watch it tonight.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 11:03 AM)

Carl Everett doesn't eat meat more than 5000 years old because it doesn't exist.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 03:05 PM)
Carl Everett doesn't eat meat more than 5000 years old because it doesn't exist.

Eccentric scientists eat frozen mammoth meat.

One of the best-documented accounts of a prehistoric meal comes at the end of Frozen Fauna of the Mammoth Steppe (1990), by Alaska zoology professor Dale Guthrie. After successfully unearthing and preserving "Blue Babe," a 36,000-year-old steppe bison found near Fairbanks in 1979, Guthrie's team celebrates by simmering some leftover flesh from Babe's neck "in a pot of stock and vegetables." The author reports that "the meat was well aged but still a little tough, and it gave the stew a strong Pleistocene aroma." Now, I'm all for scientific esprit de corps, and I'm not by nature an incurious sort, but I'll say right now I don't see the appeal. Let's keep it simple: frozen meat from tundra = specimen; frozen meat from freezer = dinner. Study the mammoths and eat the burgers, and anyone who craves that great prehistoric taste can wash 'em down with Tab.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 02:16 PM)
This thread is way too preachy.

Though I don't think it's a bad idea for people that eat meat to see where it comes from, through hunting or whatever.

It sure as hell gives you a greater appreciation for everything involved.

I wonder if all of you who think eating meat is wrong would get mad at the Berbers, Australian aboriginees (sp?), Amazon tribes or Southeast Asian/Indian Ocean/Polynesian tribes who live today the same way (or pretty damned close at least) to how they lived hundreds if not thousands of years ago?

I personally do not understand the argument that eating meat is wrong, or that we aren't "supposed" to be doing so.

As for hunting, I have no problem with hunters who eat their catch. I personally dislike hunting purely for sport, but if people want to do it I won't raise a stink about it.

I do think the fur trade is disgusting however. I'm fine with the groups of people who do it because that is part of how they survive, but I will never own a fur coat or buy one for anyone else. That I don't agree with.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 04:54 PM)
I wonder if all of you who think eating meat is wrong would get mad at the Berbers, Australian aboriginees (sp?), Amazon tribes or Southeast Asian/Indian Ocean/Polynesian tribes who live today the same way (or pretty damned close at least) to how they lived hundreds if not thousands of years ago?

I personally do not understand the argument that eating meat is wrong, or that we aren't "supposed" to be doing so.

As for hunting, I have no problem with hunters who eat their catch. I personally dislike hunting purely for sport, but if people want to do it I won't raise a stink about it.

I do think the fur trade is disgusting however. I'm fine with the groups of people who do it because that is part of how they survive, but I will never own a fur coat or buy one for anyone else. That I don't agree with.

I think it has more to do with compassion for the animals as sentient creatures than it does with being wrong.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 03:57 PM)
I think it has more to do with compassion for the animals as sentient creatures than it does with being wrong.

^^^^

When I look at my dogs I know that other animals are systematically killed based on some arbitrary selection process. The dogs I own are delicacies elsewhere yet people here would be in an uproar if I chopped their heads off and boiled them in a pot.

Just like a dog or cat, the animals most people eat do feel pain, care for their offspring and instinctually want to live.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 01:54 PM)

I haven't waded in here, but there's a useful note here...those tribes were never able to come anywhere close to the population levels of today. The food service system we've developed, based largely on oil and natural gas, that has allowed this population explosion has produced entirely different things regarding the ability to find food and the necessity of different methods.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 27, 2009 -> 12:27 PM)
Just a heads up, the video quality isn't that good for the online version. And kudos for having an open mind about it. :cheers

I watched half of it last night. It's pretty powerful, and terrifying at the same time. I turned away a couple of time because I didn't want to see what they were showing. But I've had beef, and chicken since watching it so it didn't sway me that much. I'll watch the 2nd half when I get around to it.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 04:27 PM)
I watched half of it last night. It's pretty powerful, and terrifying at the same time. I turned away a couple of time because I didn't want to see what they were showing. But I've had beef, and chicken since watching it so it didn't sway me that much. I'll watch the 2nd half when I get around to it.

I've had friends and family members with similar responses and they haven't changed any of their dietary choices. I've also known people who've decided to cut out meat entirely. If anything I'd like more people to see the film so that they can at least get a better appreciation of where I, and others, are coming from with the choices we've made.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 05:30 PM)
I've had friends and family members with similar responses and they haven't changed any of their dietary choices. I've also known people who've decided to cut out meat entirely. If anything I'd like more people to see the film so that they can at least get a better appreciation of where I, and others, are coming from with the choices we've made.

I didn't watch that particular video but I've seen others like it, and yeah, I understand it's not some random pie-in-the-sky thing.