$45M in Payroll Committments For 2010

Marty34

Lots of payroll flexibility after this year and a nice cheap core of Beckham, Quentin, Ramirez, Danks, and Floyd. Of course, big holes to fill with the departures of Dye and Thome after this year and Konerko, and A.J. after next. I hope the Sox move cautiously and build this right, they could be set up for a nice run in this division over the next five years.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 03:13 PM)
Lots of payroll flexibility after this year and a nice cheap core of Beckham, Quentin, Ramirez, Danks, and Floyd. Of course, big holes to fill with the departures of Dye and Thome after this year and Konerko, and A.J. after next. I hope the Sox move cautiously and build this right, they could be set up for a nice run in this division over the next five years.

I am fairly confident, one of them will be back, maybe both. Of course, at reduced rates likely. But it's not like we really have better alternatives in the minors nor are there much better options in free agency. You would hope that one would be willing to be the DH again at maybe $5 million, giving the Sox some more money to add to the club in free agency.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 03:26 PM)
yeah i think that dropping Thome, Contreras and Dotel will save the Sox $16 million next year.

Contreras and Dotel alone cost $16M. Thome's another $7.5M (assuming all we got from the Phillies was the $22M in '06, that's $5.5M a year).

Buehrle     $14M

Konerko $12M

Pierzynski $6.25M

Linebrink $5M

Floyd $2.75M

Thornton $2.25M Team Option

Viciedo $1.25M

Ramirez $1.1M

Dye $1M Buyout

Total: $45.6M

Arbitration Eligible: Jenks, Wise, Pena, Anderson, Carrasco, Danks, Quentin

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 03:55 PM)
This is for sure, for once we will have the money and prospects to add some big-time pieces to the club. Despite what happens this year, we should be in hunt for a division title for at least the next few years.

Best overall shape this organization has been in, in forever.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 03:59 PM)
Best overall shape this organization has been in, in forever.

We are two free agent acquisitions, IMO, from being in a tier above the Twins or Tigers. Neither can add next year like we can, and our minor league system has impact players that are close to being ready, just as good, if not better than those teams.

I have bashed Harden a few times but he threw a gem for 6 innings today and could have gone 7 easily. He is a FA after this season. Any additional thoughts on top of all the No's I have received so far? If he rocks in Aug/Sep and goes say 8-2 or 7-3 with his good stuff he will be in demand.

I'm very excited about the young talent we have out here and we need to take advantage of it.

We are a large market team and having these younger inexpensive guys gives us a great opportunity to bring in some big time free agents in to fill the holes.

I think there is a great chance we'll see this payroll up much higher then that 45 million - obviously with our arbitration players. I do think we'll bring back Dye at a cheaper cost also.

I still see us having enough money and as awkward as it is saying this - having it in a down economy where we can probably get some pieces for cheaper.

If you can trust rumors over the years then I'd suspect Figgins has a very good chance at being out here. And with how well he has played this year - I'd be 100% ok with that.

I also would absolutely love to see Kenny spend that Contreras, Thome, Linebrink money on Lackey or someone if he can.

MB, Lackey, Danks, Floyd + Poreda? wouldnt be a bad rotation.

Like I said - we are in a great opportunity to be players in this division for a good 5-6 years if we handle this right. Hopefully with both having down seasons Quentin and Danks will be interested in those long-term deals they were offered last year.

While we are on this topic, what free agents to be do you want KW to pursue? Assuming we will have the financial flexibility we all think we are going to have.

2010 starting lineup currently under contract

C AJ

1B Konerko

2B Getz

SS Ramirez

3B Beckham

LF Quentin

CF ?????

RF ?????

DH ????

Rotation: Buerhle, Danks, Floyd, ???, ???

Bullpen: Jenks, Thorton, Pena, Linebrink, Richard, Carrasco

I'm guessing we will have around 30-40 million to spend on free agents to fill in those question marks. What guys do you want via free agency?

I would do whatever it takes to brng Carl Crawford over. If Tampa takes the 10 million club option on him, many believe they would trade him for prospects. If Tampa can't afford the option, i would offer him a 5 year 12-13 mill/ season. I would plug him into RF since he's a better athlete than CQ.

For CF i would bring up Jordan Danks. Lets see what the kid can do.

For DH i would like to bring Dye back. A 3 year 7 mill/ season would most likely work.

What this team really needs is a top of the rotation righty who can eat up innings. Supposely KW is going after that right now. But if fails to acquire someone by the trade deadline, i would look into John Lackey. Due to his injuries the past few years, we may be able to get him for cheap.

Thats a lineup of:

Carl Crawford RF

Alexie Ramirez SS

Jermiane Dye DH

Paul Konerko 1B

Carlos Quentin LF

Gordon Beckham 3B

AJ Pierzynski C

Chris Getz 2B

Jordan Danks CF

Not too shabby nor not too expensive.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 06:08 PM)
Thome will be back.

I think Thome is AL-only at this point, but I can see him going to the Angels to fill their DH slot, the Mariners, even the Twins (for their new park). The Yankees would want him, as well as the Red Sox if they had the ability.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 05:08 PM)
Thome will be back.

Because of who he is, what's he's accomplished, and him being from the area - I can see them doing this.

The thing is - is he worth bringing back at his age, price, and position.

We have a chance to go out and improve our team or do we remain loyal and hope our kids improve enough to stomach Thome's potential declining production over the length of his next contract?

I'd personally rather see him walk. Bring back Dye - who is more versatile (RF, 1st, DH), younger, probably less expensive and more productive.

I'd rather take Thome's potential contract and offer it to a Figgins and a Lackey. Or Figgins + Rafael Soriano/Mike Gonzalez. Or if Crawford or Webb manage to not get their contracts picked up - by all means.

I think it is going to be a tough decision for the Sox but the smarter move for the team is to use that money in a down economy to get 2 younger very good players to round out our holes.

I want to see the band (Thome and Dye) back together for another year. We also have to keep Pods. Yeah, we will be old and slow for at least another year, but that's how it's always been.

We need to address Beckham first and foremost. Do we want him being our cornerstone third-baseman or middle infielder? Lexi needs to pick a position too. Orlando Hudson will be out there if we need the help.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 03:13 PM)

KW will still have a reason to not spend the money! Like say we do not need a CF we got Wise.....etc:gosoxretro:

I would not bring Jenks back.

Crawford's an interesting guy, but if you do get him he goes to CF. Another guy who probably will be available is Dunn. Last year of contract @ 12M. He'll cost less in a trade than Crawford and if he signs an extension he'll give you Thome-like production for the next 3-4 years. He could also slide over to 1B when Konerko leaves.

2. Ramirez SS

3. Beckham 3B

4. Quentin LF

5. Dunn DH

6 Konerko 1B

7 AJP C

Cost $58M minus prospects for Dunn.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 04:17 PM)
I have bashed Harden a few times but he threw a gem for 6 innings today and could have gone 7 easily. He is a FA after this season. Any additional thoughts on top of all the No's I have received so far? If he rocks in Aug/Sep and goes say 8-2 or 7-3 with his good stuff he will be in demand.

Just say no to Rich Harden.

First priority for Kenny is to go and sign Figgins. Then go from there.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 05:45 PM)
I would not bring Jenks back.

Crawford's an interesting guy, but if you do get him he goes to CF. Another guy who probably will be available is Dunn. Last year of contract @ 12M. He'll cost less in a trade than Crawford and if he signs an extension he'll give you Thome-like production for the next 3-4 years. He could also slide over to 1B when Konerko leaves.

2. Ramirez SS

3. Beckham 3B

4. Quentin LF

5. Dunn DH

6 Konerko 1B

7 AJP C

Cost $58M minus prospects for Dunn.

Eh, I'd rather get somebody less like Jim Thome.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 05:37 PM)
I want to see the band (Thome and Dye) back together for another year. We also have to keep Pods. Yeah, we will be old and slow for at least another year, but that's how it's always been.

We need to address Beckham first and foremost. Do we want him being our cornerstone third-baseman or middle infielder? Lexi needs to pick a position too. Orlando Hudson will be out there if we need the help.

Didn't he sign a two year deal?

Kenny will try his best to sign Chone Figgins. That's been his guy. He could be had for 3-4 years and $8-9 million per year. You put Figgins at either 3B or 2B and you position Beckham where ever Figgins isn't playing.

Ramirez should stay at SS. I don't want him near the OF. He could make Alfonso Soriano-like mistakes out there. A mistake by a SS usually results with a man on first. A mistake in the outfield usually results with a man on second or third.

I'd love Matt Holliday, but he's a Boras client. If we fail to bring in good DH or corner OF, re-sign Dye.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 04:54 PM)
Didn't he sign a two year deal?

Kenny will try his best to sign Chone Figgins. That's been his guy. He could be had for 3-4 years and $8-9 million per year. You put Figgins at either 3B or 2B and you position Beckham where ever Figgins isn't playing.

Ramirez should stay at SS. I don't want him near the OF. He could make Alfonso Soriano-like mistakes out there. A mistake by a SS usually results with a man on first. A mistake in the outfield usually results with a man on second or third.

I'd love Matt Holliday, but he's a Boras client. If we fail to bring in good DH or corner OF, re-sign Dye.

I think there's an option (at the very least) on Hudson's deal.

So you really believe Ramirez would be worse out there in CF than Scotty Pods? Really? And I'm not sure about having less of an affect on the game at SS...what is the ratio of Total Chances for a SS versus a CF? Any infield with Beckham, Ramirez and Figgins is pretty scary defensively, to say the least.

Interesting decisions about what happens with Pods and Getz in many future White Sox scenarios for 2010.

As for those advocating Dunn, why would we dream of paying him almost the same as Thome in this market?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 06:14 PM)
I think there's an option (at the very least) on Hudson's deal.

So you really believe Ramirez would be worse out there in CF than Scotty Pods? Really? And I'm not sure about having less of an affect on the game at SS...what is the ratio of Total Chances for a SS versus a CF? Any infield with Beckham, Ramirez and Figgins is pretty scary defensively, to say the least.

Interesting decisions about what happens with Pods and Getz in many future White Sox scenarios for 2010.

As for those advocating Dunn, why would we dream of paying him almost the same as Thome in this market?

Figgins is a pretty good at 3B. He's improved dramatically since his permanent move to the position. His UZR/150 over the past two years are all above average.

Believe it or not, Alexei's UZR is still above 0 at SS this year. I'd much rather have him stay at SS and move Beckham to 2B. Beckham should finally be able to show off his SS range at 2B. 3B is just not made for him. I don't think his instincts are fast enough yet since he's been a middle infielder his entire career. Most natural SS make very good 2B.

IDK if we can really rely on Pods for another good year. We tried that in 06 and look what happened.

I don't know what we can get out of Getz. He's had flashes of hot and cold and he's been decent as a rookie. I love his speed. If he were to hit more consistently, he's make one hell of a leadoff hitter. I wonder if Getz can play CF...

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 06:14 PM)

They're in desperate need of a left-handed middle-of-the-order hitter going forward and there aren't a lot of them out there. If they trade for him on the last year of his deal they have exclusive negotiating rights with him for the entire year and maybe in this economy he'd accept a 3y/$30M offer.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 06:34 PM)
They're in desperate need of a left-handed middle-of-the-order hitter going forward and there aren't a lot of them out there. If they trade for him on the last year of his deal they have exclusive negotiating rights with him for the entire year and maybe in this economy he'd accept a 3y/$30M offer.

Then why did we trade Brandon Allen?

That makes no sense at all....unless KW thought he could get a better young LH 1B/DH type than Brandon for Dotel. Which would have been a pretty risky assumption to make on KW's part.

There aren't many LH 1B available? Oft-injured Nick Johnson?

Left fielders

Garret Anderson (38)

Marlon Anderson (36)

Jason Bay (31)

Emil Brown (35)

Carl Crawford (28) - $10MM club option with a $1.25MM buyout

Johnny Damon (36)

David Dellucci (36)

Cliff Floyd (37)

Matt Holliday (30)

Jacque Jones (35)

Gabe Kapler (34)