Brian Anderson traded to Red Sox for Mark Kotsay

Jimmywins1

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 03:41 PM)
It's Brian Anderson. Read the reactions of Red Sox fans, they're mostly like "who cares."

It's a nothing trade for them, but Kotsay was done in Boston anyhow...he helped them no more, served no real purpose. They don't care is probably the worst reaction, but none are gonna gripe about getting a former high draft pick who plays good CF (though he'll never hit I agree) for a guy they designated out.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 07:24 PM)
Fields has plenty of options left and hopefully we're not totally writing him off yet. I'd like to see him swinging the bat everyday in AAA for at least a few weeks.

Sorry. What I mean is that when I first saw this deal I was excited that he was replacing Wise, not Fields. I hadn't known how slowed Mark Kotsay had become.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 03:42 PM)
It's a nothing trade for them, but Kotsay was done in Boston anyhow...he helped them no more, served no real purpose. They don't care is probably the worst reaction, but none are gonna gripe about getting a former high draft pick who plays good CF (though he'll never hit I agree) for a guy they designated out.

That's basically where Anderson was with the Sox, which is why he wanted to be traded.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 08:43 PM)
At this point, his value was near-zero. Getting anything for him at all is a plus.

I'd have traded him for Jon Adkins...TODAY

I like BA but if he can't get on the field there's no purpose in keeping him here.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 03:43 PM)
That's basically where Anderson was with the Sox, which is why he wanted to be traded.

They dfa'd Kotsay...Kotsay is now waiver wire fodder. Anderson will be there one day, but not yet. I would have thought he would have still had value. Again, don't care so much either way, it's just perplexing. If Kotsay could provide credible play in CF, then I'd be cool with this trade assuming he can take his starts.

If you put Kotsay in for Wise, then it's a grand improvement, but can you?

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 02:45 PM)
They dfa'd Kotsay...Kotsay is now waiver wire fodder. Anderson will be there one day, but not yet. I would have thought he would have still had value. Again, don't care so much either way, it's just perplexing. If Kotsay could provide credible play in CF, then I'd be cool with this trade assuming he can take his starts.

If you put Kotsay in for Wise, then it's a grand improvement, but can you?

Defensive measures for Kotsay won't say much the last two years because he didn't get enough tries out there. So I'd like to see him in the OF live to know if he can play acceptable D out there still. He certainly was very, very good as recently as 3 years ago, and 33 isn't exactly ancient. I guess we'll find out.

Something else to consider - it is not outside the realm of possibility that Wise gets traded. He won't net much, probably less than Anderson, but it is possible.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 03:49 PM)
Defensive measures for Kotsay won't say much the last two years because he didn't get enough tries out there. So I'd like to see him in the OF live to know if he can play acceptable D out there still. He certainly was very, very good as recently as 3 years ago, and 33 isn't exactly ancient. I guess we'll find out.

Something else to consider - it is not outside the realm of possibility that Wise gets traded. He won't net much, probably less than Anderson, but it is possible.

Agree with everything except this one

it is not outside the realm of possibility that Wise gets traded :lolhitting

I can't see Wise having any value at all. Good kid, tries, made a nice catch last week, but is just not a major league capable hitter.

From the trib (and the reason that the Sox probably got Kotsay):

Kotsay owns a .373 (25-67) lifetime average as a pinch-hitter, the second-highest mark among active players with at least 50 pinch plate appearances behind Seth Smith.

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 03:24 PM)
BA will now dominate Sportscenter every night

My favorite player gone

It's for the better. Anderson should be not be anyone's favorite player, unless you know him personally, and even then i still might question it.

Well i wish BA the best of luck in Boston. I truly do hope he is able to find success there.

As for Kotsay, is he really an upgrade over Fields? I guess it would make sense to have Fields get every day AB's in Charlotte though. I don't think Wise will be gone b/c Kotsay is really just a 1B who can fill in the OF on occasion now. Wise is much better defensively than him now.

I doubt we could have gotten much for BA, but to me Kotsay doesn't do much to help us either.