AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

southsider2k5

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was at the game, great game to be at.

Thought we took out Floyd too early and would had liked to see him stay in. He did strike out the previous 2 batters and was still throwing in the low 90's.

Whatever, we got the W.

Also, Thornton is spending way too much time with Bobby. Yeah, you're not gonna trick many hitters if you throw 12 straight fastballs.

A small part of me hopes that O-Cab gets traded to the Twins just so we could see how far Joe Cowley's vendetta will go. Did anyone read some of his tweets about Swish during the game? Like this one?

Swish is probably digging himself so much right now he doesn't know what to do. Maybe he could put more gel in his faux hawk.about 1 hour ago from txthttp://twitter.com/cst_sox

Is this really necessary? Is this anything more then petty and vindictive? Cowley's been doing this s*** for years, and he's yet to be called on it. Not liking two players who had a difficult time here is perfectly logical. But continuing to harp on them even after they leave the team, offering nothing conducive to intelligent conversation is ridiculous for a guy who wants to be respected in his profession.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 12:00 AM)
A small part of me hopes that O-Cab gets traded to the Twins just so we could see how far Joe Cowley's vendetta will go. Did anyone read some of his tweets about Swish during the game? Like this one?

Swish is probably digging himself so much right now he doesn't know what to do. Maybe he could put more gel in his faux hawk.about 1 hour ago from txthttp://twitter.com/cst_sox

Is this really necessary? Is this anything more then petty and vindictive? Cowley's been doing this s*** for years, and he's yet to be called on it. Not liking two players who had a difficult time here is perfectly logical. But continuing to harp on them even after they leave the team, offering nothing conducive to intelligent conversation is ridiculous for a guy who wants to be respected in his profession.

I don't mind it at all. I think it's funny.

As long as these sorts of shots don't creep into his writing, I have no issue with it. But if he starts turning himself from a beat writer into an opinion writer (such as some local columnists here), then my opinion of him will really begin to drop.

I had to stop following Crowley on the twitter. Gonzalez gives the news without the Crowley's "sense of humor". The post where he mentioned the Metrodome standing ovation for Mark and then had some comment about the Ligues throwing up in their cells was my last straw. We should have a thread for Crowley tweets without his commentary.

Floyd's K/9 on the year is now 7.62. BB/9 is at 3.08. HR/9 is at 0.85.

Since interleague began (13 starts) his ERA is 2.44, K/9 of 7.52, BB/9 of 2.44 with a fine and dandy WHIP of 0.96. He's allowed 7 homers in that stretch, and 5 of them came in back to back starts (Minnesota and Tampa Bay).

Its been mentioned before. It makes it impossible to get anything out of him, because instead of being informative, it becomes cheap. You could get what he gives from pretty much any blogger on the street.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 11:58 PM)
Also, Thornton is spending way too much time with Bobby. Yeah, you're not gonna trick many hitters if you throw 12 straight fastballs.

Except that Bobby doesn't do anything like that. Thornton does though, and has for a long time - he only very rarely throws in that slider.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 08:25 AM)
Except that Bobby doesn't do anything like that. Thornton does though, and has for a long time - he only very rarely throws in that slider.

more than a couple times this year, Jenks has thrown nothing but fastballs.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 08:36 AM)
more than a couple times this year, Jenks has thrown nothing but fastballs.

I've never seen it. Thornton? Yes, often - he's about 95% fastballs as a rule. Jenks? I've seen him sometimes not throw the curveball, or not throw the slider, if one isn't working or whatever. But I have never (in recent years) seen him go a full inning on nothing but fastballs.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 08:37 AM)
I've never seen it. Thornton? Yes, often - he's about 95% fastballs as a rule. Jenks? I've seen him sometimes not throw the curveball, or not throw the slider, if one isn't working or whatever. But I have never (in recent years) seen him go a full inning on nothing but fastballs.

I believe it was against Detroit (not the recent series, about a month or so back, when we were at home), he blew a save and threw 99% fastballs in the inning.

Lost in this walk off is going to be how great Beckham was defensively last night. I am in NYC so the YES network is showing the game over and over and over, and I dont think alot of people are going to remember how dominant he was in the early innings at 3B.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 10:11 AM)
Lost in this walk off is going to be how great Beckham was defensively last night. I am in NYC so the YES network is showing the game over and over and over, and I dont think alot of people are going to remember how dominant he was in the early innings at 3B.

You mentioned the YES network. Being in NY i also watched the game on that. I usually don't mind them, but last night they annoyed me. They kept harping on AJ and his "dirty" slide, and the strike zone. Leiter really started getting on my nerves.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 09:15 AM)
You mentioned the YES network. Being in NY i also watched the game on that. I usually don't mind them, but last night they annoyed me. They kept harping on AJ and his "dirty" slide, and the strike zone. Leiter really started getting on my nerves.

It was a really wide strike zone, but it was being called on both ends that way, so I think a nice GMAFB is called for.

I didn't get to see AJ's slide, I heard it on the radio. Was it dirty?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 09:11 AM)

Definitely, Beckham keeps looking better and better at 3B. Stone made a comment about this last night and it was right on the button. I really think our infield defense could be really solid these last two months. The outfield defense is another story.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 09:16 AM)
It was a really wide strike zone, but it was being called on both ends that way, so I think a nice GMAFB is called for.

It wasn't dirty at all. He slid very late and forced Cano to throw around him, or to throw it through his face. Cano went around him and threw it away. He didn't even roll Cano. His take out the other day in Minny was much more "dirty".

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 10:16 AM)

It was kind of a borderline illegal slide but it wasn't dirty. The rule stipulates you must slide. It could be argued that AJ did more of a roll. Regardless, he did it to the opposite side of Cano and frankly never even came close to hurting him. What it did do was force Cano to make a bad throw which gave us a run.

As for the strike zone, it was a little lagre, but you're right in that it was consistent. I have no problem with those zones as long as they stay the same. Complain in the first few innings, but if it doesnt change adjust and STFU about it

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 09:30 AM)
It was kind of a borderline illegal slide but it wasn't dirty. The rule stipulates you must slide. It could be argued that AJ did more of a roll. Regardless, he did it to the opposite side of Cano and frankly never even came close to hurting him. What it did do was force Cano to make a bad throw which gave us a run.

As for the strike zone, it was a little lagre, but you're right in that it was consistent. I have no problem with those zones as long as they stay the same. Complain in the first few innings, but if it doesnt change adjust and STFU about it

Both teams benefitted by that wacky strike zone.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 09:15 AM)

They had some good moments, but they were also terrible in spots

AJ strikes out. Leiter: "oh dont throw the bat down, thats just wrong. You should never show frustration like that, there are kids in the stadium"

Apparently he ignored the frustration showed by the Yanks when they K'ed?

If Beckham is really starting to get it defensively, there may be no need to move him back to ss.

If we don't trade Lexi, that could be a good ss/3b combo for a while.

It worked out for ARod. Short is a lot tougher to play. I don't care if it is Gordon's "natural position."

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 09:58 AM)
They had some good moments, but they were also terrible in spots

AJ strikes out. Leiter: "oh dont throw the bat down, thats just wrong. You should never show frustration like that, there are kids in the stadium"

Apparently he ignored the frustration showed by the Yanks when they K'ed?

Like when Arod got in the face of the umpire after a wide strike three call?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 10:06 AM)
If Beckham is really starting to get it defensively, there may be no need to move him back to ss.

If we don't trade Lexi, that could be a good ss/3b combo for a while.

It worked out for ARod. Short is a lot tougher to play. I don't care if it is Gordon's "natural position."

Yes but its much easier to find a 3B that can give you .300 with 25 homers, then it is a SS or 2B. His bat is so much more valuable at short or 2nd.

Basically at 3rd he is just a good player, at SS/2B he is one of the best players in the league.