Sox Acquire Jake Peavy for Richard, Poreda, Russell, Carter

Heads22

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 03:16 PM)
I don't know about that yet. Obviously, if Peavy returns to form, this is an absolute steal personnel-wise, but who knows when that will be. He has always wanted an ace, that's what he goes for. Wells, Colon, Garcia, Peavy twice. Those are just the ones he got done. He's probably asked about every ace in baseball.

Well sure, but name one other GM that has landed that many impact players via trade. He's right up there with Cashman and Epstein, despite the glaring financial disadvantage.

I don't see why Peavy wouldn't return to form. His ankle injury is just a tendon, and he made multiple starts on it, so it's not like it's completely torn. I'd be a lot more concerned if he blew out his elbow or shoulder.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 11:08 PM)
Also, I know the "Cooper can fix 'em" joke gets old, but Cooper is a really good pitching coach. I'm sure he and Peavy will talk about ways to decrease his flyballs, etc...

You don't mess much with the mechanics of a Cy Young winner

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 03:33 PM)
Anyone read Jack McDowell's blog regarding this deal?

Yeah, hope this is one of his full-of-s*** rants...

It's being reported that Jake Peavy has finally agreed to rescind his no trade clause and agree to a trade to the White Sox. I am scratching my head. Not at the fact that Peavy would agree to come. But why would the Sox make this move right now?

You see, I live in San Diego and the last I heard Jake Peavy was basically being shut down for the season. He is currently on the DL with a strained tendon in his ankle. Now it appears he will be POSSIBLY ready to pitch at the end of August?????

So he'll possibly make 6 starts for the White Sox this season. Hardly a number where he can make a legitimate impact. The whole thing with these trades is to get a guy who can have 10-14 starts this year to actually make a legitimate impact in the race!

I don't understand why the White Sox would trade away two quality lefthanders and two other prospects at this time for this guy. Add to this the fact that Peavy recently had a strained ligament in his throwing elbow. I'm not guaranteeing a breakdown, but I've noticed over the years that strains seem to quickly lead to Tommy John surgery even after the initial healing of the strain.

I love Peavy, great arm, great pitcher, great guy. But he's NOT an American League #1 pitcher. WOW.

QUOTE (League @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 06:38 PM)
What'd Axelrod have to say?

He thinks Peavy is ready to integrate with this team. He mostly talked about impressed he was with KW. Said something to the effect of "Kenny Williams wanted his man, and he got him.”"

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 06:44 PM)
He thinks Peavy is ready to integrate with this team. He mostly talked about impressed he was with KW. Said “Kenny Williams wanted him man, and he got him.”

Someone needs a new sig. ;)

Haven't had time to read through this thread yet, and I'm sure the stuff I'm going to say has already been mentioned. I like the deal, we didn't give up any great prospects. I'm not a big Poreda fan, as I think he ends up as a reliever. The guy with the highest upside is Carter and he's in Low A. Richard is a #3 at best and Russell is garbage. I love the fact that we didn't give up Flowers, Jordan Danks, Viciedo, or Hudson.