Sox Acquire Jake Peavy for Richard, Poreda, Russell, Carter

Heads22

"Literally, with two minutes left, I'm on the phone with Axelrod and I'm on the phone with Kevin Towers, and [assistant general manager] Rick Hahn is on the phone with Major League Baseball because it has to be in," said Williams with an exasperated laugh. "I really didn't think it all was going to come together in the end. I was prepared for it to not meet the deadline. It all came together with 23 seconds on the clock."

In November 2008, the Padres were working with the Braves on a Peavy trade, in which Peavy would be traded to Atlanta for SS Yunel Escobar, OF Gorkys Hernandez, P Blaine Boyer and one of P Charlie Morton or P Jo-Jo Reyes. [10]

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 06:59 PM)
I can't read all 30 pages, but I'll skim 'em later. What's been our fan board consensus? Please summarize for me.

I guess Clayton and Poreda aren't that highly thought of by our people.

I sort of liked what I saw from Clayton and all we heard about in the offseasons was Poreda.

I'll hope for the best. Little confusing he won't be ready until September and now we have no Clayton to start games.

Don't see how that helps us this year.

The general consensus is: the Sox gave up a good package but nothing right now you'd scream "Why"? We held our best 2 OF prospects, our best 3b prospect, our best SP prospect (Hudson), our best C Prospect, Beckham, and everyone else from our big league team. In return, we got a guy signed to a non-terrible contract who has been a legit ace the past few seasons.

The way Richard is pitching it hurts to give him up, but if Peavy can give us anything in August, that offsets it. Russel was giving us nothing. Carter is a legit prospect, but he's in A ball, our rotation is set for years to come, and Hudson is still our best SP prospect if we need someone to fill the #5 spot next year.

Some people legitimately question how Peavy will do under pressure or in the Al or outside of Petco or in a pennant race. To that, we can only say; we'll see.

Unbelievable. Kenny haters need to retire 4 life. This changes the entire complexion of the division.

How? He can't pitch til September. Who are we gonna trot out there in Richard's place? It doesn't help us if he can't pitch can it?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 07:02 PM)
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/p...-real-this-time

To read the write-up here of Dexter Carter, you'd think he was the second coming of Dwight Gooden.

He has been really, really good this season. But he's been really good in A ball. And Hudson has been better and in AA. It hurts to give him up. But the return is Buehrle, Peavy, Floyd, Danks, Hudson, in some order. That's worth giving up a really good A ball pitcher, a possible Matt Thornton, and a late bloomer LHP starter

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 10:23 PM)
How? He can't pitch til September. Who are we gonna trot out there in Richard's place? It doesn't help us if he can't pitch can it?

Carlos Torres or Jack Egbert would work. We're only going need about 3-4 starts from our #5 before Peavy is ready.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 07:23 PM)

We may struggle to fill those slots. KW says 3 starts. 1 is tonight and we're currently winning this game 6-5 (thanks God!). We can call up Torres to cover a few of those. He was real good last outing; we'll see on the rest. If we can survive those couple weeks; you don't want to be the team facing Peavy, Buerhle, Danks, Floyd in the postseason.

I will miss CR/AP and Carter; but we have hudson.

its jake peavy, jake f***ing peavy.

masterful in this trade KW.

KW has set the sox apart in the central and in the AL for the next few years, we still have plenty of money to play with going into the offseason and we have some desirable major league pieces in Jenks and AJ to move to further fortify our future. Simply put i love this trade.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 05:08 PM)
It does show that they weren't being straight when they said they were right up against the budget, so if Peavy said no again and they did nothing, cheap would have be appropriate.

How many times does it have to be pointed out that Kenny doesn't know how they're going to make it work financially with Peavy? He basically admitted they are just going to wing it. They are making an exception to acquire a very special player. Shouldn't that be a good thing? They try to operate the team like a successful business organization. They try to stay in the black. But they are willing to make additional expenditures which make concept less certain in order to win. Why do you always view that in a negative light?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 10:44 PM)
How many times does it have to be pointed out that Kenny doesn't know how they're going to make it work financially with Peavy? He basically admitted they are just going to wing it. They are making an exception to acquire a very special player. Shouldn't that be a good thing? They try to operate the team like a successful business organization. They try to stay in the black. But they are willing to make additional expenditures which make concept less certain in order to win. Why do you always view that in a negative light?

I am a little curious as to how the budget works out in 2010 / 2011. Dye, Thome and Contreras come off this year, so that's a huge savings ($36 million?)...BUT I can't see this team contending without Dye and Thome next year. Assuming Konerko goes to DH, who plays first? A scrap heaper? Quentin shifts to RF, I get it, but is the rest of the outfield Podsednik and Wise? Unless you think Danks will be ready next year (doubtful), you have to pick up Dye's mutual option and let Thome go.

But trading Brandon Allen makes no sense at that point. And Viciedo isn't going to be ready in 2010 like Allen was going to be.

If the budget does expand, this is less of an issue...

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 07:49 PM)
I am a little curious as to how the budget works out in 2010 / 2011. Dye, Thome and Contreras come off this year, so that's a huge savings ($36 million?)...BUT I can't see this team contending without Dye and Thome next year. Assuming Konerko goes to DH, who plays first? A scrap heaper? Quentin shifts to RF, I get it, but is the rest of the outfield Podsednik and Wise? Unless you think Danks will be ready next year (doubtful), you have to pick up Dye's mutual option and let Thome go.

But trading Brandon Allen makes no sense at that point. And Viciedo isn't going to be ready in 2010 like Allen was going to be.

This team clearly needs to make a move to fill either 1b or RF this offseason. There is no other option. It can be an FA acquisition or a trade or an extension of Dye or Thome. Any of them work, but 1 of them is guaranteed to happen. I think we extend Dye.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 09:51 PM)
This team clearly needs to make a move to fill either 1b or RF this offseason. There is no other option. It can be an FA acquisition or a trade or an extension of Dye or Thome. Any of them work, but 1 of them is guaranteed to happen. I think we extend Dye.

I think they will work out a 1 year deal, for less money than they are making now, with one of those guys (Thome or Dye). I have a hard time seeing both of them return becuase the Sox have a team with so many possible guys (Quentin, Konerko, plus Thome/Dye) who could see AB's at DH next season.

Because Dye can still play at least part-time in RF next season, I can almost see the DH spot being a rotating spot for him, Konerko and Quentin, and then they either break a rookie in or find a veteran spare part to mix in as well.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 09:49 PM)

The most likely scenario is Konerko plays 1st, Dye DH's, and a replacement is brought into play one, if not two of the outfield positions. Quentin will be there for sure, my guess is Scottie will be back, and then one of Jordan Danks, or Free Agent A, or Trade Acquisition A, whomever. My guess is they will bring back Dye at a reduced rate and the real $ they will have to play with will be around 8 - 10 Million.

Dotel will come off the books too.

Then PK comes off in 2010.

Peavy will most likely take a step back in the AL and pitching at the Cell, but going into his prime with Hermie and Coop should help him maintain his high level of success. BOLD move from the most exciting GM in baseball MR. KENNY WILLIAMS. The Sox have a solid rotation for the next 3 years. Bold moves like this may energize the team and the fan base. That alone can help them win this year even if Peavy doesn't pitch until September.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 07:57 PM)
The most likely scenario is Konerko plays 1st, Dye DH's, and a replacement is brought into play one, if not two of the outfield positions. Quentin will be there for sure, my guess is Scottie will be back, and then one of Jordan Danks, or Free Agent A, or Trade Acquisition A, whomever. My guess is they will bring back Dye at a reduced rate and the real $ they will have to play with will be around 8 - 10 Million.

Dotel will come off the books too.

Then PK comes off in 2010.

I agree with most of this. I could see Kenny keeping Pods as a cheap and temporary LF option and moving Quentin to RF (and Dye to DH, after Thome is let go this winter). I imagine that Kenny will go after a relatively inexpensive free agent CF, and maybe some bullpen help to help with Dotel's loss and Linebrink's suckiness. It seemed that Jenks had a good chance of being dealt this winter, but I don't think so now. The Sox are definitely not in retooling mode right now.

Paulie is the real wildcard in all of this. If he were any other player, I'm sure that they'd let him walk. But given what he's meant to this organization, I'm not so sure.

I'm not too concerned about Peavy's contract inhibiting payroll flexibility. Paulie's and AJ are FAs next winter, Mark has indicated that he might not pitch after 2011, and Linebrink's albatross of a contract is also up after 2011. They're going to get Dotel, Contreras, and (likely) Thome off the books this winter and, even if JD is re-signed, he's tradeable down the road. Jenks is also arb-eligible through 2011, and they'd be able to unload $8-10 million by dealing him, if need be. There are a lot of highly-paid veterans on their way out over the next two years.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 08:08 PM)
Bold moves like this may energize the team and the fan base. That alone can help them win this year even if Peavy doesn't pitch until September.

Looks like the Sox had some moxy tonight. When was the last time that they scored 10 runs?

Would KW dare to give Contreras a one year, incentive-laden contract for $3-5 million plus incentives to be the 5th starter (and keep him around Viciedo and Ramirez)?

Are Torres or Hudson ready?

Should they bring in a Jon Garland/D. Davis/Paul Byrd type for one year, like they tried with Colon this season as a low-risk roll of the dice.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 08:29 PM)
Would KW dare to give Contreras a one year, incentive-laden contract for $3-5 million plus incentives to be the 5th starter (and keep him around Viciedo and Ramirez)?

Should they bring in a Jon Garland/D. Davis/Paul Byrd type for one year, like they tried with Colon this season as a low-risk roll of the dice.

Torres has about 2-3 starts to prove something. Hudson; i think he's on the McCarthy program, where he could start after St next year, but he'd be better off starting in AAA and coming up if there's an injury.

I think someone will come in on a 1 year deal, at least to start the year. Unless Torres does a Richard for his next couple starts.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 11:29 PM)

I think Hudson has a chance of being ready.

KW may be thinking that with the economy in the crapper, free agents are going to be cheaper this offseason. If he's right, he gets to buy low.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 08:29 PM)

I think that Contreras is gone for good this winter. The Sox are already set 1-4 for next season so, barring an injury to one of them, I don't see any money being spent on a veteran (unless it's somebody really cheap, like Colon). I don't see Garland getting just a one-year deal. Given that the economy probably won't improve next year, my guess is that the #5 spot will initially go to somebody young and cheap like Torres. If that young pitcher doesn't get it done, a deal for an aging vet might be made mid-season.

Edited by WCSox

As to our OF, they'll have to bring in at least one player OR move Alexei out there.

They still probably need a corner, although Kotsay might impress and be asked to stick around as the 4th OFer.

Gartrell might get a look too. Doubt they are including Restovich, Cook or any of the AAA guys in their thinking.

Shelby, Danks and Mitchell are looking more at 2011 arrivals, or late 2010.

Well, this is awesome. I go to work and when I come home, my dad tells me the Sox traded for Peavy. A phone call from my brother or dad would have been nice, but I guess I found out all the same. Great deal. As much as Richard was starting to show flashes and as good as Poreda might be (and Dexter Carter has been great this year, but still only in A ball), this is the type of deal you make for an Ace. Buerhle, Peavy, Danks, and Floyd for the next few years is gonna be phenomenal. And we still have Dan Hudson (who may have overtaken Poreda as the top pitching prospect in our org even before the trade), Flowers, Viciedo, Jor Danks, etc.

Edited by dasox24