Sox Acquire Jake Peavy for Richard, Poreda, Russell, Carter

Heads22

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They call KW “The Gambler” for a reason, and I think Boers and Bernstein said it best when they said, “Kenny Williams has Big Balls.” Nice article from Yahoo: “Winner: Kenny Williams. If GMs had nicknames (and who since Trader Jack McKeon has), Williams should be known as the Stealth Bomber. The Chicago White Sox wheeler-dealer somehow traded twice for the same star pitcher, Jake Peavy(notes), without anyone spilling his secret either time. And this time Peavy accepted. The deal will look even better if Peavy, who is out with a bad knee, will be pitching again in the big leagues by September, as Williams expects. Even if he doesn’t, the White Sox have control over him for four more years, which might be enough to persuade Mr. Perfecto, Mark Buehrle(notes), to put off retirement plans.” http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=g...o&type=lgns

What I don't get is that the White Sox always take s*** for the weakness of their farm system. And yet, everytime we trade some of the pieces of that farm system, we get roasted for trading all these talented kids. I don't get how none of them are worth a damn while they are in our system, and yet, the minute we trade them, these kids are making the acquiring team's future so bright.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 12:56 AM)
What I don't get is that the White Sox always take s*** for the weakness of their farm system. And yet, everytime we trade some of the pieces of that farm system, we get roasted for trading all these talented kids. I don't get how none of them are worth a damn while they are in our system, and yet, the minute we trade them, these kids are making the acquiring team's future so bright.

??? That doesn't appear to be the consensus of this board right now. With a couple of exceptions I think most posters acknowledge that we gave up some decent prospects, but we used said prospects to get an ace who is better than any of those players will be. Nobody's been bashing the weakness of the farm system this year because it isn't weak, and the only top prospect we gave up is Poreda. We still have Danks, Viciedo, Hudson, and Flowers. I don't see what you're getting at.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 06:01 AM)
??? That doesn't appear to be the consensus of this board right now. With a couple of exceptions I think most posters acknowledge that we gave up some decent prospects, but we used said prospects to get an ace who is better than any of those players will be. Nobody's been bashing the weakness of the farm system this year because it isn't weak, and the only top prospect we gave up is Poreda. We still have Danks, Viciedo, Hudson, and Flowers. I don't see what you're getting at.

I don't think he's going after the board here. Our board thinks more highly of our system than most everyone else. But looking around other teams boards, it's exactly he basically said what they're all saying.

i liked poreda more than most. a lefty pitcher with that kinda power, control, and sink is extremely rare. i think he'll be erratic in the bigs for a couple-three years. a lotta peeps'll start to write him off. then the secondary stuff'll click and he'll pretty quickly turn into at least a good #2.

that said, i LOVE this f***ing deal. kudos, KW.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 12:01 AM)

Yeah, not talking about our fans....talking about the national media which influences fans of other teams. I have not heard so many glowing reviews of Clayton Richard and Aaron Poreda until this evening...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 01:09 AM)
Yeah, not talking about our fans....talking about the national media which influences fans of other teams. I have not heard so many glowing reviews of Clayton Richard and Aaron Poreda until this evening...

Oh... yeah, in that case I'm with you. I've already had to politely lecture a couple of other fans talking about how the Sox got shafted. We gave up a decent, I'd say "fair" package for Peavy, but let's be real here. Clayton Richard has a good chance of having a respectable MLB career, Poreda at least projects highly (whether he reaches that ceiling we can't know yet), but neither of those guys is going to win a Cy Young in their mid 20s. Hell, when Peavy was Richard's age, he actually won a Cy Young FFS.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 12:14 AM)
Oh... yeah, in that case I'm with you. I've already had to politely lecture a couple of other fans talking about how the Sox got shafted. We gave up a decent, I'd say "fair" package for Peavy, but let's be real here. Clayton Richard has a good chance of having a respectable MLB career, Poreda at least projects highly (whether he reaches that ceiling we can't know yet), but neither of those guys is going to win a Cy Young in their mid 20s. Hell, when Peavy was Richard's age, he actually won a Cy Young FFS.

I think Richard was a #5 if he stayed in the AL. He has a great arm, but he didn't control his stuff enough for my liking. I think he would often get in trouble with his pitch counts against patient AL lineups. In the NL, however, he probably has a chance at being a solid #3, especially in Petco. Poreda I never saw enough of to get a solid opinion, but the consensus seems to be he might turn into a solid closer.

I guess in a nutshell, this trade seems to work not even so much because of the position the two teams were in talent-wise and financially, but because Richard and Poreda have more value to San Diego than they could ever have for us.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 12:20 AM)
There are way too many writers and bloggers and nerds who think they know the most about anything. Prospects are prospects till they prove anything in the pros.

Well, I feel for them, because they can't be expected to know every team's entire system. But I would respect them more if they came out and admitted that rather than make s*** up or just copy other writers.

Remind me, if I ever get a job writing about professional baseball, to study up other team's message boards to get a feel for which prospects are actually what.

Remember when like 2 years ago our farm system was absolute s*** and one of the bottom 10 in MLB? And today we have enough players that we can put together a decent package for one of the better pitchers in MLB, and STILL have decent talent in the system - Danks, Viciedo, Flowers, Hudson, and then there's Beckham who is pretty much in the same age/experience category.

Rosenthal wrote a great article about this trade. Here are some highlights

"If it's not my all-time favorite trade, it's close.

It might not be a good trade, though I suspect it is. But for sheer audacity and shock value, how can anyone not like what White Sox general manager Ken Williams pulled off Friday?

"Unreal," one general manager said of the Jake Peavy trade. "No question, it's a very high-risk move. You've got to have great intestinal fortitude to do it."

Another exec was even more blunt in describing his admiration for Williams.

"Biggest balls in the game," he said."

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9879004...with-Peavy-deal

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 12:46 AM)
Remember when like 2 years ago our farm system was absolute s*** and one of the bottom 10 in MLB? And today we have enough players that we can put together a decent package for one of the better pitchers in MLB, and STILL have decent talent in the system - Danks, Viciedo, Flowers, Hudson, and then there's Beckham who is pretty much in the same age/experience category.

Not to mention Mitchell, T. Thompson...what's the latest with Morgado and Goodwin?

Haven't been following prospects forum as much since BIRM's roster was decimated.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 01:58 AM)
Not to mention Mitchell, T. Thompson...what's the latest with Morgado and Goodwin?

Haven't been following prospects forum as much since BIRM's roster was decimated.

I'm withholding judgment on the new guys until I see what they can do.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 12:48 AM)

It might not be a good trade, though I suspect it is. But for sheer audacity and shock value, how can anyone not like what White Sox general manager Ken Williams pulled off Friday?

"Unreal," one general manager said of the Jake Peavy trade. "No question, it's a very high-risk move. You've got to have great intestinal fortitude to do it."

That is an awesome article...some great insight on how the organization works.

DICK ALLEN, please READ the above article!

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 12:48 AM)

Thanks for sharing that. Really was a good article and makes me that much more excited about this trade. I really love it. And I guess it makes it easy to resume trade talks when you use the exact same package you offered 2 months ago (at least according to Rosenthal).

Edited by dasox24

I think DeLuca makes a good point:

Inside the Padres' financially strapped offices at Petco Park, there was a huge sigh of relief. General manager Kevin Towers had a mandate -- since last November -- to get Peavy off the Padres' books. Still, some people close to that organization believe Williams didn't need to part with so much talent to get Peavy at this point.

''The financial relief alone might have been enough to get it done,'' a Padres insider said. ''Maybe you dress it up with some bodies. But [the Sox] had a lot more leverage. [The Padres] had no other options.''

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 01:27 AM)
I think DeLuca makes a good point:

Yeah, but you don't get very far by attempting to rape other organizations all the time (although Theo Epstein might disagree). If you are fair and trustworthy, which I think Kenny tries to be, I think you'll be a lot better off in the long run.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 01:34 AM)
Yeah, but you don't get very far by attempting to rape other organizations all the time (although Theo Epstein might disagree). If you are fair and trustworthy, which I think Kenny tries to be, I think you'll get a lot longer in the long run.

Good point. And I think that point is made in that Rosenthal article just posted, in which Towers said "To me, Kenny is one of the best GMs to work with on trades. He knows what he wants." There's no reason Towers had to say that, so you know he really does feel that way.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 01:37 AM)
Good point. And I think that point is made in that Rosenthal article just posted, in which Towers said "To me, Kenny is one of the best GMs to work with on trades. He knows what he wants." There's no reason Towers had to say that, so you know he really does feel that way.

I've seen comments like that across the board. Most GM's seem to think he is a fair guy. That is evidenced by the fact that he has made more trades since his tenure began than any other GM in the game.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 12:50 AM)
and the counter to that of course is the old adage, "nice guys finish last."

But i'm not suggesting that here - but I do think there's a chance he could've gotten him for less. Who knows.

Yeah, maybe. And maybe Kenny makes a run at Adrian Gonzalez in two years and Towers remembers this deal...

Edited by iamshack