Pods

Rooftop Shots

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 6, 2009 -> 01:03 AM)
I don't think anyone is saying that Pods for 1 year while waiting on Danks/Mitchell is a BAD option, just that there is a better sense of durability and consistency in Figgins, who many think is a BETTER option.

Fair enough. I'd rather our organization pocket that 30 mil and spend it elsewhere or wait for a later time than throw all of it at Figgins with what we already have in our organization. Especially when we could bring back Pods for close to the minimum (or close enough) IMO.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 11:51 PM)
First and foremost, you NEVER know what you're going to get with any player, ever. Period. This line of thinking is senseless. We could go out and sign someone to be a 5th starter and he could end up being Cy Young (Esteban Loaiza) or we could go and get a stud and have him fall flat on his face. There are no guarantees with anything so no matter what happens, we never know what we're going to get. Otherwise, the word consistency never would be used in sports.

Second, I never guaranteed that Figgins would do that. You stated: I just don't believe the $ and the years required to sign Figgins being worth it even the best-case scenario.

My response was that $8 mil a year for a .300 average and .400 OBP would be a best case scenario, and it'd be pretty damn worth it. If it comes down to it, Pods at 4 million or Figgins at 8 is a no-brainer to me. I'd gladly spend the extra 4 million for a younger, faster player who will give you better D and has a higher probable production than the other option.

I apologize for a bit of sloppy posting as I was posting from my phone while enjoying a cigar out on my balcony. Fellas, sometimes I wish some of you could enjoy this view with me I have of the Las Vegas Strip ...:)

As for Figgins, I am not arguing that there is not room here for reasonable minds to disagree.

I just think the same applies to signing Podsednik up for another year as well.

I'm not the highest person here on Jordan Danks. As I stated earlier in the thread, he has done nothing thus far that the White Sox should be making personnel decisions for next season based on his performance. That being said, between he and Mitchell, and perhaps some other players off the radar that could present themselves as options in 2011, I just don't feel particularly comfortable signing up Chone Figgins considering what his contract demands may be.

I guess all I am arguing is, if it were me (and it clearly is not), I would take the gamble and offer Podsednik a 1 year deal for next season and let the chips fall where they may.

It certainly is a good point made though, that there is a 3 year window in place where this team could be dangerous, and therefore, every effort possible should be made to fill any holes that are projected to exist.

QUOTE (rockren @ Aug 6, 2009 -> 01:06 AM)
Fair enough. I'd rather our organization pocket that 30 mil and spend it elsewhere or wait for a later time than throw all of it at Figgins with what we already have in our organization. Especially when we could bring back Pods for close to the minimum (or close enough) IMO.

You're misconstruing that "$30 million" quite a bit. Its not like we'd have to pay it to him all in one season. And where exactly would you invest that money any better? After this year, you'd have to figure that the only real holes we'd have on this team are at one of the corner outfield spots, center-field, 5th starter, and one reliever with Dotel departing. You sign Figgins, you've got a center fielder and a leadoff man and you're worry free for a while. And I'd have to assume it'd take a ton of pressure of Mitchell or Danks and give them time to get some quality development. If anything, you could bring one up and put them in LF (presumably with Quentin in RF and Thome/Dye at DH) and let them bat 8th or 9th next to Getz.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 6, 2009 -> 12:03 AM)
I don't think anyone is saying that Pods for 1 year while waiting on Danks/Mitchell is a BAD option, just that there is a better sense of durability and consistency in Figgins, who many think is a BETTER option.

The other variable in this situation is whether the Angels will even let him walk.

Everything I read and hear, from some pretty well-informed Angels commentators, is that Scioscia loves him and would be really disappointed if they let him walk.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 6, 2009 -> 01:10 AM)
You're misconstruing that "$30 million" quite a bit. Its not like we'd have to pay it to him all in one season. And where exactly would you invest that money any better? After this year, you'd have to figure that the only real holes we'd have on this team are at one of the corner outfield spots, center-field, 5th starter, and one reliever with Dotel departing. You sign Figgins, you've got a center fielder and a leadoff man and you're worry free for a while. And I'd have to assume it'd take a ton of pressure of Mitchell or Danks and give them time to get some quality development. If anything, you could bring one up and put them in LF (presumably with Quentin in RF and Thome/Dye at DH) and let them bat 8th or 9th next to Getz.

The approx $30 mil is a lot of money for a guy like that when we have guys that may be able to handle the immediate future in Pods and the future in Danks/Mitchell.

That 10-12 mil/year for the next three years isn't worth it IMHO.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 6, 2009 -> 01:14 AM)
The other variable in this situation is whether the Angels will even let him walk.

Everything I read and hear, from some pretty well-informed Angels commentators, is that Scioscia loves him and would be really disappointed if they let him walk.

That's true. This could be much ado for nothing. Anyone know on the status on the over/under on Figs returning to Anaheim next year?

QUOTE (rockren @ Aug 6, 2009 -> 01:20 AM)
The approx $30 mil is a lot of money for a guy like that when we have guys that may be able to handle the immediate future in Pods and the future in Danks/Mitchell.

That 10-12 mil/year for the next three years isn't worth it IMHO.

Well, to be fair, not you or I or anyone else know if Mitchell/Danks will be adequate MLB players at all. And the 10-12 million is pure speculation. I highly doubt he'd be able to get that much. He's 31 and in a down-economy. Look at what Dunn and Abreu had to settle for last year...

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 6, 2009 -> 01:28 AM)
Well, to be fair, not you or I or anyone else know if Mitchell/Danks will be adequate MLB players at all. And the 10-12 million is pure speculation. I highly doubt he'd be able to get that much. He's 31 and in a down-economy. Look at what Dunn and Abreu had to settle for last year...

That's all true, but if he leaves Anaheim I feel that's a safe bet regarding what he'll cost.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 6, 2009 -> 12:28 AM)

I think the market will correct itself though. A lot of teams were stuck with many of the inflated contracts that were signed between 2003 - Present and had to make overcorrections last season. I think now that teams realize their stadiums aren't going to be empty, the market will bounce back a bit. I don't know if it will reach the levels it did in the recent past, at least in terms of second tier players (those not superstars), but I think it will bounce back. I don't see a whole lot of Adam Dunn/Bobby Abreu/Orlando Hudson type contracts this offseason.

Who knows though.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 6, 2009 -> 08:39 AM)
I was browsing an Angels board and they sounded pretty worried that KW has had his eye on Figgins for a while, and that this was probably going to raise the asking price for him.

There is no way Uncle Jerry can or will outbid Moreno. He's offered more dough the last two times we've gone up against him (Konerko and Hunter). If Sciosa wants to keep Figgins, he's staying an Angel.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 10:59 PM)
Let's replace a .300 MLB hitter with a .275 AA hitter.

If it were up to the majority of the forum, we would have an outfield of Brian Anderson,Chris Young and Ryan Sweeney.

It's inexplicable the hate for Pods around here.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 11:31 PM)
I think the market will correct itself though. A lot of teams were stuck with many of the inflated contracts that were signed between 2003 - Present and had to make overcorrections last season. I think now that teams realize their stadiums aren't going to be empty, the market will bounce back a bit. I don't know if it will reach the levels it did in the recent past, at least in terms of second tier players (those not superstars), but I think it will bounce back. I don't see a whole lot of Adam Dunn/Bobby Abreu/Orlando Hudson type contracts this offseason.

Who knows though.

A lot of these teams though are still looking to chop salary. MLB salaries in total actually declined this season, and I'd expect them to do even more so next offseason. The only thing that might change that trend is the Yankees.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Aug 6, 2009 -> 11:48 AM)
This will probably get me speared, but does Pods' sudden streak of health make anyone else wonder if he found some magic juice?

hmmm. While I doubt that because he looks the same (but they all seem to these days), I'm always skeptical when a guy is suddenly better because of a new "workout regimen".

I dont have overwhelming excitement for Pods as leadoff CF in 2010, but at the same time, when we strike with big spending, i want the FA market to be better

So if Thome, Dye and Pods finish the year strong, I wouldnt be opposed to two (or even all) coming back. Ideally the two of them that are free agents would give us a hometown discount

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Aug 6, 2009 -> 10:48 AM)
This will probably get me speared, but does Pods' sudden streak of health make anyone else wonder if he found some magic juice?

He's married to Lisa Dergen; It wouldn't be worth the risk to his balls.

I'd honestly keep Pods around if the other option is Chone Figgins. For the price, Pods allows you to upgrade OF drastically like a Carl Crawford while moving Dye to DH. You also could probably sign another big time pitcher or spend money on some frontline bullpen arms if you believe there is a such thing.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 11:11 PM)
Out of all the spots you could throw Figgins at, I don't see the what's so bad about having both. Assuming the price is right.

I could see KW having both. I could also see KW shopping Alexei for a cheap young starting pitcher this offseason to shift Beckham to SS and have Figgins play 3B. . .

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Aug 6, 2009 -> 10:48 AM)

Well guys, I read all of your posts, and I have a theory. Here's why I believe that Pods has a better chance of staying healthy, and could still be very productive. When he first got injured in 05' he was with the playmate. Obviously his body couldn't take the stress of the daily grind of baseball along with all of the "Extra-curricular Activities" that was going on outside of the baseball field with "Queen Hotsy-Totsy!. His body finally breaks down. Then.....After a couple of years of barely playing baseball.......his body gets a chance to heal and get rejuvenated.

Now...........he just had his first kid. Can no longer have any "Outside Action" going on anymore. Mommy is too busy and very tired from taking care of the kid while daddy is away. Daddy also has a new responsibility...so he has to make sure he stays healthy to earn money to support the family.

No more "nooky-nooky!" Daddy HAS TO remain a working man! So now, his total concentration is back on baseball, and he should stay healthy. There! How's that for some outlandish backwards twisted Neanderthal philosophy! (But.............you wonder if any part of it really could be a factor!!)

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Aug 6, 2009 -> 09:14 PM)
Well guys, I read all of your posts, and I have a theory. Here's why I believe that Pods has a better chance of staying healthy, and could still be very productive. When he first got injured in 05' he was with the playmate. Obviously his body couldn't take the stress of the daily grind of baseball along with all of the "Extra-curricular Activities" that was going on outside of the baseball field with "Queen Hotsy-Totsy!. His body finally breaks down. Then.....After a couple of years of barely playing baseball.......his body gets a chance to heal and get rejuvenated.

Now...........he just had his first kid. Can no longer have any "Outside Action" going on anymore. Mommy is too busy and very tired from taking care of the kid while daddy is away. Daddy also has a new responsibility...so he has to make sure he stays healthy to earn money to support the family.

No more "nooky-nooky!" Daddy HAS TO remain a working man! So now, his total concentration is back on baseball, and he should stay healthy. There! How's that for some outlandish backwards twisted Neanderthal philosophy! (But.............you wonder if any part of it really could be a factor!!)

Love this post.

It's the "nookie regression" theory. Baseball Reference needs to do a study compoaring a players stats between the time of marriage and wife's 1st pregnancy, and compare it to their overall stats.