Confirmed: White Sox claim on Alex Rios on waivers

prochisox

QUOTE (nastymasty21 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 10:51 AM)
If he was pulled back dont yout think it would be announced by the Jays so they dont have to deal with this media firestorm for another day? Something has to be up for all this secrecy taking place

Possibly. I guess I agree with the overall premise that this trade won't happen. I don't have a clue what the teams can or can't talk about.

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 09:58 AM)
Possibly. I guess I agree with the overall premise that this trade won't happen. I don't have a clue what the teams can or can't talk about.

I read there is a $25,000 fine for leaking waiver wire information. So they could not report pulling back the waivers without admitting he was on the waivers.

If they're serious about trading him there is no real point to pulling him back until the deadline. Why risk doing so with someone like Kenny Williams (who likes to "gamble")? From their end they have no clue what he is capable of putting together in a package for Rios if they held out to the last second - they could get everything they desire. I dont see the gain in pulling him back unless they absolutely dislike our farm and would rather take the risk in the offseason. It'd be yet another silly move by Ricciardi, you gain nothing by pulling him back early and only lose out on potentially getting the deal he would want from our club.

Edited by Pumpkin Escobar

Once again according to that espn.com Steve Phillips artice:

The deadline for an action to be into MLB Offices is 12:30 pm central tomorrow morning. If nothing is in to the office by then, Rios is automatically recalled by Toronto.

So if somebody has claimed Rios off waivers, then Toronto's best move is to negotiate up to 12:30 central tomorrow. Especially if Toronto ownership wants the salary shed, JP has no pressure on him at all. Assuming the White Sox won the claim, you wait for KW to make an offer (or if you haven't heard from him you float an offer). If you like KW's offer, you sit on it until 12:29 to see if the pressure is getting to KW and he ups his offer. If KW is really banking on getting Rios all the pressure is on him to make sure he beats the deadline. If JP's orders are to shed the contract, all he has to do is accept whatever KW has on the table or if nothing is on the table just give his rights to the Sox.

QUOTE (Shamrock4Life @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 11:02 AM)
Once again according to that espn.com Steve Phillips artice:

The deadline for an action to be into MLB Offices is 12:30 pm central tomorrow morning. If nothing is in to the office by then, Rios is automatically recalled by Toronto.

So if somebody has claimed Rios off waivers, then Toronto's best move is to negotiate up to 12:30 central tomorrow. Especially if Toronto ownership wants the salary shed, JP has no pressure on him at all. Assuming the White Sox won the claim, you wait for KW to make an offer (or if you haven't heard from him you float an offer). If you like KW's offer, you sit on it until 12:29 to see if the pressure is getting to KW and he ups his offer. If KW is really banking on getting Rios all the pressure is on him to make sure he beats the deadline. If JP's orders are to shed the contract, all he has to do is accept whatever KW has on the table or if nothing is on the table just give his rights to the Sox.

This to me is why Steve Phillips works at ESPN and not with the Mets.

If JP's superiors are telling him to dump the contract - than the pressure is on him. I get that he cant just sit on an offer but ultimately he needs to take what Kenny offers so he has to sit inthe pressure cooker hoping KW doesn't make him look stupid with the haul he brings in.

Now he can play chicken but it's not as though Kenny is desperate for an OF. If we claimed Rios, we are doing one of two things - trying to get him on our club or prevent him from going elsewhere. If he stays in Toronto, we continue on with our full OF and focus on the stretch ahead and then check on him in the offseason. We also know he isn't goign to a fellow contender so I fail to see the pressure.

Kenny by no means needs to make this deal. It is a nice opportunity but it will be there again in 3 months without causing any potential hiccups to our club down the stretch.

Silly steve phillips.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 11:07 AM)
He's still guaranteeing his team losses if he holds Rios.

I think it is a little short of a guarantee, there is a chance (small) he could do better in the off season, with a potentially bigger pool of teams. I just wonder if we are sitting here talking about their team and sounding like the idiots from other markets that talk about the Sox.

If they truly wanted to be shed of the contract at any cost, they could have used irrevocable waivers.

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 11:13 AM)
or prevent him from going elsewhere.

Since the waiver claim goes to the team with the worse record, the Tigers would be the only team that matters we would be preventing from claiming him.

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 09:13 AM)
I think it is a little short of a guarantee, there is a chance (small) he could do better in the off season, with a potentially bigger pool of teams.

There's a good chance that Ricciardi won't be working for the Jays anymore at that point. If he wants a supportive letter of rec from his owner, taking $60 million off the books would be a good place to start.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 11:20 AM)
There's a good chance that Ricciardi won't be working for the Jays anymore at that point. If he wants a supportive letter of rec from his owner, taking $60 million off the books would be a good place to start.

Based on the assumption the owners want Rios off the books ASAP. Unless I missed some objective evidence, that is just an assumption. For all we know, they had a trade worked out with Detroit, or another team with a better record, and were hoping no one else claimed him.

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 11:14 AM)
Since the waiver claim goes to the team with the worse record, the Tigers would be the only team that matters we would be preventing from claiming him.

It goes to the worst team in the AL then through the rest of it before the NL. I know how it works. Had he gotten past us - he could've gone to any other contender ahead of us. Which is quite a few because of our record. Detroit, NY, Boston, Tampa, LAA, TExas, and I think Seattle even. Those are all teams who could've potentially done harm to us if we made the playoffs and he was in their Uniform. We prevented that so him being pulled back isn't a huge loss to us.

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 11:22 AM)
Based on the assumption the owners want Rios off the books ASAP. Unless I missed some objective evidence, that is just an assumption. For all we know, they had a trade worked out with Detroit, or another team with a better record, and were hoping no one else claimed him.

For all we know, we didn't even claim him.

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 11:23 AM)
It goes to the worst team in the AL then through the rest of it before the NL. I know how it works. Had he gotten past us - he could've gone to any other contender ahead of us. Which is quite a few because of our record. Detroit, NY, Boston, Tampa, LAA, TExas, and I think Seattle even. Those are all teams who could've potentially done harm to us if we made the playoffs and he was in their Uniform. We prevented that so him being pulled back isn't a huge loss to us.

I am assuming that KW and Co. are not worried about other divisions. Winning the Central is the most viable path to the playoffs. But I agree, the other is a possibility and not getting him isn't a huge loss.

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 11:13 AM)
This to me is why Steve Phillips works at ESPN and not with the Mets.

If JP's superiors are telling him to dump the contract - than the pressure is on him. I get that he cant just sit on an offer but ultimately he needs to take what Kenny offers so he has to sit inthe pressure cooker hoping KW doesn't make him look stupid with the haul he brings in.

Now he can play chicken but it's not as though Kenny is desperate for an OF. If we claimed Rios, we are doing one of two things - trying to get him on our club or prevent him from going elsewhere. If he stays in Toronto, we continue on with our full OF and focus on the stretch ahead and then check on him in the offseason. We also know he isn't goign to a fellow contender so I fail to see the pressure.

Kenny by no means needs to make this deal. It is a nice opportunity but it will be there again in 3 months without causing any potential hiccups to our club down the stretch.

Silly steve phillips.

Pure speculation on your part. If they needed to dump salary, then Halladay would have been traded. Nothing Phillips stated is off base if they are in good financial standing.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 12:02 PM)
Pure speculation on your part. If they needed to dump salary, then Halladay would have been traded. Nothing Phillips stated is off base if they are in good financial standing.

Hence why you highlighted the "if" part of "If his superiors are telling him to dump contract".

I obviously do not work for the Jays or talk to their ownership but from everything else I have read - it appears that is their mindset. So this isn't my own thought up speculation, it is what I have seen written which is all we pretty much to go off of.

The point wasn't that they need to clear payroll - the point of my post was that the pressure is far from being on KW as Phillips implied and that if anything it would be on JP. Especially "if" they want to shed payroll. Which it seems like everyone thinks they need to and are trying to do.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=olney_buster

If they don't need to clear any payroll - well then I find it hard to comprehend why they wanted to deal their Ace or any other pieces.

But good point - I just don't think Phillips has a clue. He is a guy who has been there and can shed some light but there is a reason why he isn't remotely near that kind of position anymore.

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 10:10 AM)
Hence why you highlighted the "if" part of "If his superiors are telling him to dump contract".

I obviously do not work for the Jays or talk to their ownership but from everything else I have read - it appears that is their mindset. So this isn't my own thought up speculation, it is what I have seen written which is all we pretty much to go off of.

The point wasn't that they need to clear payroll - the point of my post was that the pressure is far from being on KW as Phillips implied and that if anything it would be on JP. Especially "if" they want to shed payroll. Which it seems like everyone thinks they need to and are trying to do.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=olney_buster

If they don't need to clear any payroll - well then I find it hard to comprehend why they wanted to deal their Ace or any other pieces.

But good point - I just don't think Phillips has a clue. He is a guy who has been there and can shed some light but there is a reason why he isn't remotely near that kind of position anymore.

If they had to shed payroll they would have dumped there ace. Instead they put him on the market and asked for a ridiculous offer. If they didn't get it, he was staying put.

That in no way shape or form tells you that they needed to shed-payroll.

From Buster Olney's chat:

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/27797

Matt ((Chicago))

White Sox fan here, and I'm not saying we can't win, but I think the biggest "additions" down the stretch in this division were Detroit getting Guillen back, and I really like that Avila kid (I watched him play and he looks really good - just the type of LH bat the Tigers needed. Adding him and Guillen to the lineup makes them really tough on righties.

Buster Olney (1:08 PM)

Matt -- and they get Washburn, too. But your team could get a real bump from Peavy, and if they get Rios tomorrow (and my guess is that they will), then they'll be that much deeper. The division is a toss-up... the only team that seems to be drifting out of it is the Twins, who have a pitching problem pop up every day.

Chris (Scottsdale, AZ)

What will it cost of the White Sox to get Rios? A prospect like Fields?

Buster Olney (1:12 PM)

Chris: If I had to guess, I think it will be a pure salary dump. I think the White Sox know that they don't have to give up anything to get him, and I don't think the Jays are going to let this opportunity pass to dump the contract.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 12:13 PM)
If they had to shed payroll they would have dumped there ace. Instead they put him on the market and asked for a ridiculous offer. If they didn't get it, he was staying put.

That in no way shape or form tells you that they needed to shed-payroll.

You're absolutely right. It is reading that they have been trying to do it over the last year that tells me that. From when they wanted to sign Cabrera but couldn't shed payroll, to making their best player available, to dealing away Rolen, etc...You can claim all you want that isn't the case but the SPECULATION has come from a million different avenues and has yet to seem to be unfounded. Until I hear otherwise, it's safe to assume they are trying to do so. There is no harm in speculation.

As of today, I'd assume theyre in good standing but they are bracing themselves for the harsh reality that becomes Vernon Wells.

Dealing Rolen helped immensely but this "speculation" seems to come from everywhere you look. It's not like I made it up.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu4qGVoBKVKUA...ry%3fid=4384253

http://www.drunkjaysfans.com/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/211788-...s-season#page/9

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 12:26 PM)
There is no harm in fans speculating, K-Dubya's job is to analyze and if he wants Rios, to determine what it will take. His speculation is everything.

If they don't need to shed payroll then I don't think the deal gets done because it is not an necessity for either team and I dont see us taking onthat contract while also giving up more of our farm (the price JP would want). IF they do need to then I don't see how the pressure is on KW to make the deal?