Confirmed: White Sox claim on Alex Rios on waivers

prochisox

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:00 PM)
It'd be pretty foolish to get rid of Pods after he had a .350 OBP as a leadoff man. Rewind one year and remember how badly we needed a leadoff guy?

Put up with Pods defense, especially now with Rios, and be content that we actually have a leadoff man.

Orlando Cabrera batting 1st last year: .293 AVG, .341 OBP

Scott Podsednik batting 1st this year: .275 AVG, .343 OBP

• 1 year later...
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:46 PM)
We just grabbed a 28 year old, 2 time all star without having to give up anything but money. Didn't even have to lose a draft pick like signing that type of guy as a FA would require.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:49 PM)
This is one of the better White Sox transaction seasons ever. This is almost Bears-esque

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:49 PM)
Outstanding. This is quite the coup.

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:51 PM)
Wow. It isnt my money but I think it is being spent stupidly. KW I am your biggest fan but this one makes me scratch my head. I guess if I were able to see your bigger outlook on this whole situation I would feel different. :huh

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:51 PM)
Damn, mediocre record aside, the Sox arrow is pointing up in a sharper and sharper direction every day.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:53 PM)
Why would the Sox bench their best hitter and only lefty power threat. There will be a very nice rotation for the remainder of the season that results in everyone getting some much needed rest.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:54 PM)
Talk about a HUGE step up defensively, Rios immediately steps in as our best and most important defender something this team has been in desperate need of for some time now.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:58 PM)
My junk is still sore from all the ejaculating I did when we signed Peavy.

F***, it appears I didn't hate this deal.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 05:50 PM)
I'm very happy to hear the Sox got Rios. I just hope some of the stuff I've read about him not hustling and being afraid of walls is exaggerated or not true. I always liked him but I've only seen him when he played against the Sox.

Anyway, we finally have a major league centerfielder for the first time since 2005.

I guess the stuff I read about him wasn't exaggerated and was true. What a bum.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 10:39 PM)
Is there any way to search and see if you posted in a thread?

I'm curious what I said, but not sado-masochistic enough to read through 60+ pages of mostly optimism or bemusement or KW-worshipping.

If you click on the number of posts, it will tell you how many posts each poster made.

You have 10 posts in this thread as of now.

I thought a bit about KW claiming Rios today and I have concluded that it was a botched "block" of a deal to the Tigers.

My take is:

I am not aware of a player with anywhere near the money that was owed to Rios EVER being claimed outright and have his current team just let him go. Plenty of players with contracts that would/should allow them to completely pass through waivers have been traded over the years. It is common place for a charity low level prospect or three, or even the infamous "player to be named later" to be traded to"save face" for the GM/Franchise that is "giving up" the player.

This KW/Toronto "no deal" is the only one of it's kind, EVER.

If it wasn't a botched "block" the only reasoning could possibly be is that KW was being terribly bull-headed and didn't want to give Riccardi a "token player" just to boost his own personal ego/reputation; which IMHO is completely bush-league.

Why try to make Riccardi look bad? Why burn a bridge that didn't need burned? Even KW wouldn't do that...

Therefore, I truly believe that Kenny was trying to block a deal to the Tigers and even at the last second still didn't believe Riccardi would just "let" Rios go. And the fact supporting the idea that KW had no intention of actually acquiring Rios is demonstrated by KW's unwillingness give a "bag of balls" back to Toronto in return.

Edited by GREEDY

QUOTE (CryptviLL @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 03:35 PM)
Man Id love for the White sox to get him!! Speed + Defense, + he is a better htter then hes showing this year

Hahahahhaha man oh man not calling this poster out I was thinking the same thing but look where we are now with him

I have to say that out of all of KW's blunders over the past several years this deal is the only one that I liked at the time. Because, I figured atleast the Sox gave up no talent at all to get him - no draft picks, prospects or M.L. talent.

So, you figure how much worse could a guy be then hehas been when he's still in his 20's ?

It's so weird how the Sox have 2 of the most mystifying dropoffs in recent baseball memory on this team right now in Rios and Dunn. It's wild.

If you add Pierre's complete disappearance as a credible base-stealing threat, that's yet another.

Maybe not completely unexpected, but he's dropped off a cliff in the speed side of the game, as well as defensively (although solid in June-July compared to April-May).

Peavy, I don't think anyone can be 100% surprised coming off an unprecedented surgery and long layoff. His arm strength/stamina just aren't there...

And then there's the Gordon "Bermuda Triangle" Beckham. Where did his 2009 bat and approach go? It's almost like they were swallowed by a fog and a "ghost" player has taken his place, or zombie.

Edited by caulfield12

I think it's the normal fan reaction that an outsider is always better than our team. Go to NFL forums, every guy that gets cut from another team there's always a thread about getting them.

A GM has to realize when a team who is not very good puts a guy like this on waivers, there's a red flag here. The Sox organization isn't really a good change of scenery for players. After Swisher, players come here only to regress. It's like a curse.