Confirmed: White Sox claim on Alex Rios on waivers

prochisox

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 12:30 PM)
If they don't need to shed payroll then I don't think the deal gets done because it is not an necessity for either team and I dont see us taking onthat contract while also giving up more of our farm (the price JP would want). IF they do need to then I don't see how the pressure is on KW to make the deal?

The pressure is certainly on KW, if there is pressure in this situation at all.

Ricciardi most likely understands the situation. He most likely understands he is not going to get a "haul" in this deal. However, he does know that the claiming team is on the hook, and all he has to do is say the word and Rios is off his payroll. Certainly he can try and get a few prospects to help the Jays down the line - perhaps a few "change of scenery guys," or maybe a guy with some potential down in single A - but the main objective of ridding themselves of Rios has been achieved. He can move that salary, every last penny of it, just by saying a word.

Kenny is the one who has to try and figure out just how desperate Ricciardi is. He has to wonder, "is this guy desperate enough that he will just dump him?" Or "Does he really need to get something back for him to save face?" "Can he go into the offseason with this guy and deal him then?" Honestly, we have no idea, and while KW may have a better idea by now, my guess is he is trying to call Ricciardi's bluff.

I think that is what Phillips is saying when he says the pressure is on KW and not Ricciardi.

The pressure is on K-Dubya if he believes this is the piece that makes the difference in winning the division. And why else would be make the deal? No deal and the Jays remain in the same position they were in before this weekend.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 12:59 PM)
One blue jay message site one persons suggested the sox are just blocking detroit or keeping the tigers from getting him.

Come on, we all know Sox fans are smarter and know what the Jays need and want to do

:lolhitting

QUOTE (forrestg @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 12:59 PM)
One blue jay message site one persons suggested the sox are just blocking detroit or keeping the tigers from getting him.

With the risk of being stuck with $60 million over five years, this simply isn't just a block. Sure, it might be a secondary reason, but the primary reason is the Sox wanting Rios. Although, I have a strong feeling tomorrow passes and we don't have Rios. Riccardi is clearly in a bind, he wants to dump him, but he also wants to get a prospect. My best guess is that he simply holds onto him, hopes he finishes off the year strong and builds up his value into an off-season trade.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 01:07 PM)
With the risk of being stuck with $60 million over five years, this simply isn't just a block. Sure, it might be a secondary reason, but the primary reason is the Sox wanting Rios. Although, I have a strong feeling tomorrow passes and we don't have Rios. Riccardi is clearly in a bind, he wants to dump him, but he also wants to get a prospect. My best guess is that he simply holds onto him, hopes he finishes off the year strong and builds up his value into an off-season trade.

+1

You don't claim a contract that large unless you can take it on and *want* to take it on - especially when everyone in baseball knows that the Jays are chopping salary and that is the #2 contract they'll be trying to shed.

It'd be nice to send a failed former first rounder that at least on paper defends the Jays' move to their fanbase.

So, were he still here, it'd be nice to be trading Lance Broadway there in this situation. McCulloch obviously no one would like to categorize in that way as of this moment.

Edited by Princess Dye

Olney chat:

Barney (Sacramento, CA)

**IF** Rios were to end up with the ChiSox, what kind impact do you see him having? Would he give the Sox a boost over his relatively unimpressive performance so far?

Buster Olney (1:05 PM)

Barney -- I think he'll definitely help them, and give them tremendous flexibility in terms of dealing with injury situations with the other outfielders or giving Dye and Quentin and Podsednik the requisite amount of rest. Rios is a decent major league player, but just overpriced, and if the White Sox are comfortable with the salary and are in fact the team that claimed him (and I think they are), hey, why not?

Chris (Scottsdale, AZ)

What will it cost of the White Sox to get Rios? A prospect like Fields?

Buster Olney (1:12 PM)

Chris: If I had to guess, I think it will be a pure salary dump. I think the White Sox know that they don't have to give up anything to get him, and I don't think the Jays are going to let this opportunity pass to dump the contract.

Buster Olney (1:12 PM)

Chris: If I had to guess, I think it will be a pure salary dump. I think the White Sox know that they don't have to give up anything to get him, and I don't think the Jays are going to let this opportunity pass to dump the contract.

I can only hope, the sox would be set moving forward for the next four years with our rotation and around the diamond and our bullpen looks to be slightly above average.

If we need to move salary in the off season we've got Jenks and AJ both whom could bring back a few good looking prospects.

our core going forward would be set

DH - Thome

C - Flowers

1B - Viciedo

2B - Getz

SS - Ramirez

3B - Beckham

LF - Quentin

CF - Rios

RF - Danks/Mitchell

QUOTE (beautox @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 01:43 PM)
DH - Thome

C - Flowers

1B - Viciedo

2B - Getz

SS - Ramirez

3B - Beckham

LF - Quentin

CF - Rios

RF - Danks/Mitchell

If Danks/Mitchell aren't ready I'd sign Pods for a 1 year deal. Even if they're ready I'd like to keep him in as the 4th OF/Pinch runner.

QUOTE (beautox @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 02:43 PM)
I can only hope, the sox would be set moving forward for the next four years with our rotation and around the diamond and our bullpen looks to be slightly above average.

If we need to move salary in the off season we've got Jenks and AJ both whom could bring back a few good looking prospects.

DH - Thome

C - Flowers

1B - Viciedo

2B - Getz

SS - Ramirez

3B - Beckham

LF - Quentin

CF - Rios

RF - Danks/Mitchell

No way Danks/Mitchell are ready. And I don't want Thome back next year. JD should be brought back as the DH and we'll need to find someone to play LF, possibly Pods. I also don't think we should get rid of AJ unless someone offers a trade we just couldn't say no to. AJ is really undervalued here, and if we were to get rid of him I think we'd pay for it. Flowers has not yet had 1 major league AB. Penciling him in over AJ for next year at this point is a little early IMO.

Ok for the record, the Steve Phillips article I am referencing is the one from 2005 and I posted it in an earlier post. In it he describes the process. Since it was written in 2005, there is not reference to this trade.

It was my opinoin that the pressure is on Kenny. And here is why. IF Toronto ownership gave JP a directive to clear payroll, then JP has to let Rios go. There is no pressure there. JP has one of two options, agree to whatever trade the claiming team has on the table at the deadline or give him outright to that team. Not knowing if JP got that order from ownership is why the pressure in on KW. And the pressue is proportional to how much KW wants Rios. If its a lot, then Kenny has to gamble on how much to offer up. Does Kenny get nervous at the deadline and up the deal on the table that JP would have took no matter what? Or did Kenny really claim Rios to stop Detriot from getting him. Did JR give Kenny the directive that he couldn't add payroll anymore after the Peavy deal? If so, then Kenny is under pressure hoping JP doesn't just give Rios and his $60 Million contract to the Sox.

There are too many variables in here to know how much pressure there is here. Hell it could be just a regular run of the mil August waiver wire happening. But I don't see how JP has any pressure on him to get anything done. Either he got the directive and has to dump salary or he now knows how much demand there is for Rios (it was reported 6 different teams claimed him, iirc, plus Toronto gets to know who exactly made a claim on him).

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 11:50 AM)
No way Danks/Mitchell are ready. And I don't want Thome back next year. JD should be brought back as the DH and we'll need to find someone to play LF, possibly Pods. I also don't think we should get rid of AJ unless someone offers a trade we just couldn't say no to. AJ is really undervalued here, and if we were to get rid of him I think we'd pay for it. Flowers has not yet had 1 major league AB. Penciling him in over AJ for next year at this point is a little early IMO.

You could make a case that you could afford to go with Danks next season and let him further his development at the big league level, but you'd want to make sure you had a veteran around him to help out with the situation. Obviously the better scenario would be leaving Danks down in the minors with the Sox signing a one year stop-gap but I really don't see many major holes in the rest of the lineup (infield is set and Beckham/Getz will have major league experience under there belts which should help them). Alexei will have more experience as well and I expect to see Flowers getting a lot of playing time as well as he continues his progress at the big league level.

Basically put, the 2010 Sox with Rios and Quentin could afford to stick with Danks if they really wanted to and let him take some licks at the big league level.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 11:56 AM)
You could make a case that you could afford to go with Danks next season and let him further his development at the big league level, but you'd want to make sure you had a veteran around him to help out with the situation. Obviously the better scenario would be leaving Danks down in the minors with the Sox signing a one year stop-gap but I really don't see many major holes in the rest of the lineup (infield is set and Beckham/Getz will have major league experience under there belts which should help them). Alexei will have more experience as well and I expect to see Flowers getting a lot of playing time as well as he continues his progress at the big league level.

Basically put, the 2010 Sox with Rios and Quentin could afford to stick with Danks if they really wanted to and let him take some licks at the big league level.

The question is though...which is the best way to develop D2? IMO, given that his big problem is strikeouts (at least to my eyes) I'd rather have him in the minors focusing on making contact than coming up to the big leagues and looking like Josh Fields.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 12:39 PM)
The pressure is certainly on KW, if there is pressure in this situation at all.

Ricciardi most likely understands the situation. He most likely understands he is not going to get a "haul" in this deal. However, he does know that the claiming team is on the hook, and all he has to do is say the word and Rios is off his payroll. Certainly he can try and get a few prospects to help the Jays down the line - perhaps a few "change of scenery guys," or maybe a guy with some potential down in single A - but the main objective of ridding themselves of Rios has been achieved. He can move that salary, every last penny of it, just by saying a word.

Kenny is the one who has to try and figure out just how desperate Ricciardi is. He has to wonder, "is this guy desperate enough that he will just dump him?" Or "Does he really need to get something back for him to save face?" "Can he go into the offseason with this guy and deal him then?" Honestly, we have no idea, and while KW may have a better idea by now, my guess is he is trying to call Ricciardi's bluff.

I think that is what Phillips is saying when he says the pressure is on KW and not Ricciardi.

I don't get how the pressure is on KW.

If Rios never hit waivers, we wouldn't have claimed him and we'd be in the same position we are in with 3 OF's contributing to our lineup.

He did hit waivers and it's a nice opportunity to buy low on a good player but we by no means needed him or went balls after the guy. So why should any pressure be on KW? He blocked him from going to other contending AL teams, in particular the Tigers. So if we get him - great, that could be a huge deal. If not, we avoided him going anywhere that could hurt us in the playoff run and still have the same lineup that they were happy with a week ago.

I fail to see why KW has any pressure. Rios is icing on the cake, he isn't the cake.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 02:56 PM)

I'd be a lot more willing to agree about Danks if he hadn't gone into the tailspin he's in right now. If he doesn't pick it up in the last month of the year I'd really expect that he'll need at least a half a year in AAA next season.

QUOTE (Shamrock4Life @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 01:56 PM)
Ok for the record, the Steve Phillips article I am referencing is the one from 2005 and I posted it in an earlier post. In it he describes the process. Since it was written in 2005, there is not reference to this trade.

It was my opinoin that the pressure is on Kenny. And here is why. IF Toronto ownership gave JP a directive to clear payroll, then JP has to let Rios go. There is no pressure there. JP has one of two options, agree to whatever trade the claiming team has on the table at the deadline or give him outright to that team. Not knowing if JP got that order from ownership is why the pressure in on KW. And the pressue is proportional to how much KW wants Rios. If its a lot, then Kenny has to gamble on how much to offer up. Does Kenny get nervous at the deadline and up the deal on the table that JP would have took no matter what? Or did Kenny really claim Rios to stop Detriot from getting him. Did JR give Kenny the directive that he couldn't add payroll anymore after the Peavy deal? If so, then Kenny is under pressure hoping JP doesn't just give Rios and his $60 Million contract to the Sox.

There are too many variables in here to know how much pressure there is here. Hell it could be just a regular run of the mil August waiver wire happening. But I don't see how JP has any pressure on him to get anything done. Either he got the directive and has to dump salary or he now knows how much demand there is for Rios (it was reported 6 different teams claimed him, iirc, plus Toronto gets to know who exactly made a claim on him).

Gotcha. No problem.

Let's just hope we get him for cheap and that he blossoms into that 30-30, 5 tool hype he has carried with him since arriving on the scene.

QUOTE (beautox @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 01:43 PM)

DH - Thome

C - Flowers

1B - Viciedo

2B - Getz

SS - Ramirez

3B - Beckham

LF - Quentin

CF - Rios

RF - Danks/Mitchell

I can only hope that we'd drop Thome in favor of bringing back JD as DH. Thome has limited value for this team from this point forward. Also, for someone that gets dropped off the discussion so quickly, don't write AJP off. He is quietly having a very productive season offensively, and that type of production doesn't come along all the time, and certainly not from a first year starter. You put Quentin in RF, let...ugh...Pods come back maybe for LF, and that is a solid lineup with an outstanding starting rotation to back it up.

QUOTE (beautox @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 11:43 AM)

DH - Thome

C - Flowers

1B - Viciedo

2B - Getz

SS - Ramirez

3B - Beckham

LF - Quentin

CF - Rios

RF - Danks/Mitchell

I doubt that Thome will be in Chicago past 2010. It's more likely that they extend a much younger and less fragile Paulie.