Confirmed: White Sox claim on Alex Rios on waivers

prochisox

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 10:35 AM)
I didn't say it was "ok" or "not ok."

I think the settings are different. I think Soxfest is a special event that occurs one weekend a year which gives Sox fans a chance to come together with players and the FO and to ask questions. Debates and discussions occur there. From what I understand, KW is not disrespectful or rude during these conversations.

On the other hand, JP has mouthed-off to fans on a freaking weekly radio show. Do you honestly consider these two forums to be comparable?

If KW had a radio show, which he does not, if fans called ripping him, he would fire back. Its the one time of the year where fans can ask KW questions, and he always has said if fans fire on him, he's ready to fire right back. Its the same thing, fans asking a GM questions. Mostly stupid questions or they have crazy opinions. If firing on fans is wrong on a radio show, its wrong in a Soxfest setting.

BTW, his Dunn comments may make him the world's biggest jerk to you, but I don't see the big deal.

"Do you know the guy doesn't really like baseball that much?" Ricciardi said to the caller. "Do you know the guy doesn't have a passion to play the game that much? How much do you know about the player?

"There's a reason why you're attracted to some players and there's a reason why you're not attracted to some players. I don't think you'd be very happy if we brought Adam Dunn here ...

"We've done our homework on guys like Adam Dunn and there's a reason why we don't want Adam Dunn. I don't want to get into specifics."

J.P. then said "He's a lifetime .230, .240 hitter that strikes out a ton and hits home runs."

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 10:39 AM)
If this goes through, I'm guessing Fields should look for his passport.

Fields would have to CLEAR WAIVERS in order to be dealt. There's no way, despite how bad he's looked, that he would clear waivers.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 03:30 PM)
The Tigers are most likely not interested in picking up a $60 million contract. Last I heard, they were pretty desperate to shed payroll.

Even if Kenny did do this to cock-block the Tigers, wouldn't Ricciardi be able to put Rios back on waivers 30 days from Tuesday? What would keep Rios away from the Tigers then?

Once a player's been put on waivers and a claim has been made, a move has to made on that player--traded only to the team that claimed him, brought back from waivers, or released. That player cannot be traded to another team for the rest of the season. The rules are different as far as waivers is concerned after Aug. 1 than it is before that date, IIRC.

So, Ricciardi strongly infers that Dunn doesn't have an passion for the game, says that he doesn't want to get into specifics, and then infers that his problem is with Dunn's batting average. At best, Ricciardi has problems keeping his cool under pressure.

I've never heard Kenny throw a player that he doesn't even know under the bus, so this comparison is pretty silly.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 10:53 AM)
Ricciardi is already complaining about the leak of Rios waiver claim.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/678271

He complained all the way through the July 31st deadline and he is already b****ing about what is happening now. I dont think he gets anything done because all he wants to do is complain

JP Riccardi is an arrogant, lying; prick of a human being, but he’s also relatively good at his job. I imagine if we get Rios there’s going to be a somewhat negative impact on us, whether it is through players or financial burden.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 09:43 AM)
BTW, his Dunn comments may make him the world's biggest jerk to you, but I don't see the big deal.

"Do you know the guy doesn't really like baseball that much?" Ricciardi said to the caller. "Do you know the guy doesn't have a passion to play the game that much? How much do you know about the player?

"There's a reason why you're attracted to some players and there's a reason why you're not attracted to some players. I don't think you'd be very happy if we brought Adam Dunn here ...

"We've done our homework on guys like Adam Dunn and there's a reason why we don't want Adam Dunn. I don't want to get into specifics."

J.P. then said "He's a lifetime .230, .240 hitter that strikes out a ton and hits home runs."

Are you kidding? Do you not see how much he stepped over the line there? That could be considered slanderous. That information could have hurt Adam Dunn's employment opportunities elsewhere. It could have damaged him financially.

And god knows what Ricciardi's source even is. Because for a guy who doesn't particularly care for playing baseball, he sure as hell does put up numbers.

Why do you think Ricciardi had to call Dunn and apologize if those comments weren't a "big deal"?

QUOTE (3E8 @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 03:10 PM)
Rios has more extra base hits (40) than everyone on our team except PK (42) and Dye (41). Also 19 SB (Getz is our leader with 18) compared to 3 CS.

I think the Sox and Ozzie in particular like Alex Rios. But, we as a team have stayed away from high priced free agents and with Rios' possible $60M bill attached I just don't see this team doing that. All you are doing here is taking on an inflated and bad contratc decision that someone else made and now you make it your problem.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 08:44 AM)
Once a player's been put on waivers and a claim has been made, a move has to made on that player--traded only to the team that claimed him, brought back from waivers, or released. That player cannot be traded to another team for the rest of the season. The rules are different as far as waivers is concerned after Aug. 1 than it is before that date, IIRC.

Are you sure about that? What I've read explains it a little differently...

There are all kinds of waivers for all different occasions. But essentially, here is how waiver deals can be made between Aug. 1 and the Aug. 31 deadline for setting potential playoff rosters:

# Virtually every player in the major leagues will be placed on waivers this month, whether a team intends to trade that player or not. If nothing else, the sheer volume of names can at least disguise players whom clubs do want to sneak through so they can be dealt.

# If a player isn't claimed by any team in either league, he can be traded until the end of the month to anyone.

# If a player is claimed, but only by one team, the player can be traded only to the team that claims him.

# If a player is claimed by more than one team, the club with the worst record in that player's league gets priority -- and the player can be traded only to that team.

# If a player is claimed only by teams in the other league, the club with the worst record in the other league gets priority -- and the player can be traded just to that team.

# If a deal can't be worked out or the team doesn't want to trade that player, he can be pulled back off waivers once in August. If he is placed on waivers again before September, he can't be recalled a second time.

# Or, if a team is just hoping to dump a player's salary, it can simply allow a team which claimed that player to have him for a small waiver fee. If that happens, the team that gets the player has to pay his entire salary. That's how the Yankees were stuck with Jose Canseco and the Padres were stuck with Randy Myers in recent years: They claimed those players, thinking they were just blocking other teams from getting them. Instead, their old clubs said: "You claimed him. You got him."

# In the past, many teams claimed players just to keep them from being traded to contenders with a better record. This year, that isn't expected to happen as often, because most teams can't afford to get stuck with a big contract if they're awarded a player they really didn't want.

Unless Rios has been pulled back once already this month, he can be placed back on waivers again.

It also sounds like Kenny is running the risk of getting stuck with all $60 million of that contract. Uggh.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 10:51 AM)
Are you kidding? Do you not see how much he stepped over the line there? That could be considered slanderous. That information could have hurt Adam Dunn's employment opportunities elsewhere. It could have damaged him financially.

And god knows what Ricciardi's source even is. Because for a guy who doesn't particularly care for playing baseball, he sure as hell does put up numbers.

Why do you think Ricciardi had to call Dunn and apologize if those comments weren't a "big deal"?

Probably why KW called to aplogize to Frank and Ozzie called to apologize to ARod and Magglio, but when White Sox personnel pop off about other teams players its fine. It almost becomes a Jerry Springer Show. Look, I don't think Ricciardi should have said anything, and whether a player has or has not played for you in the past, commenting on other teams' property isn't right. I also feel there are a lot more people in baseball with a lot more inside info than we all have, who agreed with Ricciardi's assessment of Dunn at the time than disagreed. It doesn't make it right and he apologized. It doesn't make him a bad guy. This whole thing started when I said I read he was a very nice guy privately and very smart. It doesn't make him a bad GM, but these days, being the GM of the Blue Jays is almost masochistic. You're setting yourself up to fail.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 11:44 AM)
Fields would have to CLEAR WAIVERS in order to be dealt. There's no way, despite how bad he's looked, that he would clear waivers.

He already could have for all we know. The league doesn't release that information and how has already cleared and such. But yes, any non 40 man player must clear waivers first.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 09:02 AM)
It doesn't make him a bad GM, but these days, being the GM of the Blue Jays is almost masochistic. You're setting yourself up to fail.

You're right. The contracts that he gave to Wells and Rios, and his refusal to deal Halladay at his peak value, make him a bad GM.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 11:01 AM)
Are you sure about that? What I've read explains it a little differently...

Unless Rios has been pulled back once already this month, he can be placed back on waivers again.

It also sounds like Kenny is running the risk of getting stuck with all $60 million of that contract. Uggh.

But if they can't pull him back a second time, whoever claimed him the second time would get him for nothing, so I don't see what that would accomplish for Toronto other than having to pay Rios a few more weeks to play meaningless games. I would imagine if all that has been speculated is true, Rios either winds up a White Sox or spends the rest of the year at the very least, in Toronto.

Even if Detroit wanted to trade for him, what would they give up for a guy owed at least $60 million? It can't be much, and if they are looking for Toronto to provide salary relief, wouldn't just letting the team that claimed Rios assume the entire contract be more attractive than eating $10-20 million just to acquire some middle of the road prospects?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 10:50 AM)
JP Riccardi is an arrogant, lying; prick of a human being, but he’s also relatively good at his job. I imagine if we get Rios there’s going to be a somewhat negative impact on us, whether it is through players or financial burden.

i haven't looked enough at deals or signings he's made lately, but a lot of the job is the inability to get things done for unrealistic demands. if his demands for halladay had been met he would have gotten a stellar deal. right now he's sitting in a fairly bad situation, with halladay still on the books, very little chance of resigning him after next year, and his trade value depreciated substantially.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 10:44 AM)

Wouldn't he just have to get past the four AL teams who have worse records than Toronto?

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 11:06 AM)
You're right. The contracts that he gave to Wells and Rios, and his refusal to deal Halladay at his peak value, make him a bad GM.

Well, he can get out of the Rios contract if he wishes right here, and if not trading the best pitcher in baseball makes you a bad GM, it may be one of the more difficult jobs ever created. The Wells deal was bad, but every GM has given bad contracts. Maybe not 9 figures bad, but as I said earlier, if Toronto was in the AL Central, they would be right in the race right now, if not out in front.

QUOTE (maki @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 05:09 PM)
i haven't looked enough at deals or signings he's made lately, but a lot of the job is the inability to get things done for unrealistic demands. if his demands for halladay had been met he would have gotten a stellar deal. right now he's sitting in a fairly bad situation, with halladay still on the books, very little chance of resigning him after next year, and his trade value depreciated substantially.

Retardi's a terrible GM, and Halladay is the least of his problems (I still thing he gets quite the ransom even if he waits into next year). They've been clamoring for a rebuilding year for years now and Retardi refuses to give in. Him at the helm is my biggest concern of this deal getting done. Pretty much any GM would just dump Rios, but I don't trust Retardi to do that.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 10:02 AM)
Probably why KW called to aplogize to Frank and Ozzie called to apologize to ARod and Magglio, but when White Sox personnel pop off about other teams players its fine. It almost becomes a Jerry Springer Show. Look, I don't think Ricciardi should have said anything, and whether a player has or has not played for you in the past, commenting on other teams' property isn't right. I also feel there are a lot more people in baseball with a lot more inside info than we all have, who agreed with Ricciardi's assessment of Dunn at the time than disagreed. It doesn't make it right and he apologized. It doesn't make him a bad guy. This whole thing started when I said I read he was a very nice guy privately and very smart. It doesn't make him a bad GM, but these days, being the GM of the Blue Jays is almost masochistic. You're setting yourself up to fail.

Why do you always do this? Why do you always take statements I make in regards to other teams, or other players, or other FO members or managers, and claim as though simply because I made a negative comment about one of them, I must also be endorsing a similar (or what you believe to be a similar) behavior or occurrence from someone within the White Sox organization? Not once did I claim Ozzie is perfect, or not a big mouth, or not an asshole. Not once did I endorse or encourage KW to speak in regards to other players. And yet, because I am a fan of this team, you assume as though that must means I endorse every breath any member of the organization takes, and therefore, I am further disqualifed from criticizing or commenting on what I believe are the missteps of others.

Regardless of what Kenny, Jerry, or Ozzie have done, that does not somehow prevent JP Ricciardi of being a ridiculously arrogant prick. Where you heard he was "a nice guy in private, and very smart," I don't know. I am certain the guy is very smart. You don't get to his position in life by not being very smart. And yeah, maybe he doesn't kick his kid or his dog, or beat his wife, but that doesn't dismiss the fact that from most everything the media writes or says about him, he comes off as a total jerk.

As for your comments on him being the Blue Jays' GM, this is what the arrogant ass promised in order to get the job - this is just the kind of over-the-top nonsense this guy spews:

"You are spending too much money," Ricciardi reportedly told Godfrey. "I can make you cheaper and better. It'll take a couple of months to make you cheaper and a couple of years to make you better. But you'll be a lot better."

Whatever.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 11:02 AM)
He already could have for all we know. The league doesn't release that information and how has already cleared and such. But yes, any non 40 man player must clear waivers first.

You probably just slipped up but to clarify; players who are NOT on the 40 man roster do not have to clear waivers and any player on the 40 man roster would have to.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 11:11 AM)
Wouldn't he just have to get past the four AL teams who have worse records than Toronto?

Yep but there's also no good reason for the Orioles, Indians, Royals or Athletics to pass on Fields, especially the Orioles who have shown interest in him in the past.

If the sox are indeed interested in Rios, it just goes to show how difficult [and yes risky] it is to remake a pro baseball team without completely breaking it apart and go through a losing string of a few years. In Rios, he could [plausibly] be one of the final peices of the retooling of the sox-with his big and long term contract, as it would mark the end of either Thome of Dye in a Sox uni.

Since losing in 2007, the sox have gotten to this point in decent shape going forward, and should be able to contend for the AL Central in the future each year, by 1] making trades --Floyd, Danks, Quentin, Swisher #1 trade, the Vazquez and Swisher #2 trades, Pena, now Peavy; 2] signing a few free agents: Linebrink, Dotel, Alexei, Viciedo; 3] improving via the draft: Beckham, Mitchell, Hudson, Danks #2; and re-signing key vets: Buerhle, AJ, Dye, Thornton.

Rios is a risk for not playing up to his contract. But even if that proves to be the case, Rios shouldn't be Swisher reincarnated. At worst, he's a plus defender with power, who may not hit for a high avg. and get on base in a premium position, CF. Though, Rios would be a decent bet to give the sox production in CF they haven't had since 2005.

With Danks and Mitchell poised to be coming up within a year or two is is worth taking on a long contract with an underachieving Rios? Could this be a knee jerk reaction to the 3 errors per game we've seen the team put up the last 2 weeks?

EDIT: That last statement is obviously an exaggeration but it sure feels like it's been 3 errors/game.

Edited by BigSqwert