Confirmed: White Sox claim on Alex Rios on waivers

prochisox

Ricciardi is already complaining about the leak of Rios waiver claim.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/678271

Ricciardi, however, downplayed the report, pointing out that most teams put the majority of their rosters on waivers this time of year, just to gauge interest in possible deals. Without confirming Rios was placed on waivers, Ricciardi said the only difference in this case was that a name was leaked.

"It's a lousy process and it's really disappointing that any (names) would get leaked. It's really unprofessional," he said. "We place everybody on waivers. ... It's just a normal process from (Aug. 1) on. Everybody in baseball does it. It's baseball 101."

He complained all the way through the July 31st deadline and he is already b****ing about what is happening now. I dont think he gets anything done because all he wants to do is complain

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 02:44 PM)
Ricciardi is also probably in his last couple months as Toronto's GM. I wonder how that will play into it. He may be desperate to save his job, and getting $60 million or so off the books would be a pretty good start.

That's a good point. If he's trying to save his job, getting the Jays back into a semi-healthy financial condition, at least enough to be able to afford to re-sign Roy Halladay, is a good start. It may not be enough to save him. But it could only help.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 09:53 AM)
Ricciardi is already complaining about the leak of Rios waiver claim.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/678271

He complained all the way through the July 31st deadline and he is already b****ing about what is happening now. I dont think he gets anything done because all he wants to do is complain

He's a little b****. The only positive things I have ever heard about him were in Moneyball.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 09:55 AM)
That's a good point. If he's trying to save his job, getting the Jays back into a semi-healthy financial condition, at least enough to be able to afford to re-sign Roy Halladay, is a good start. It may not be enough to save him. But it could only help.

I'm not so impressed with him as a GM, but if you put the Blue Jays in the AL Central at the beginning of this year and they didn't have to face TB,NY and Boston 18 or 19 times a season, they probably would be competing for the division title. He didn't handle the Halladay fiasco very well, and while I don't blame him neccesarily for not trading him, allowing it to become the circus it became was on him, and from what I've read, the people he reports to weren't very thrilled with it.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 09:56 AM)
He's a little b****. The only positive things I have ever heard about him were in Moneyball.

I've read where he is really a very smart and nice guy. There's nothing wrong with popping off about leaks. KW doesn't like anything leaked either.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 09:51 AM)
There is a good chance the only thing it's going to cost us is the waiver fee and the size of Rios' contract. The Sox aren't giving up any top prospects or heck, maybe not any mid level prospects.

Yeah I figured with the salary he has it wouldn't be much in terms of prospects.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 10:01 AM)
I've read where he is really a very smart and nice guy. There's nothing wrong with popping off about leaks. KW doesn't like anything leaked either.

Didnt he say something negative about Adam Dunn when he has never met or talked to the guy on the radio last year too.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 10:01 AM)

He gets into arguments with fans on radio shows. He insulted Adam Dunn on a radio show. The guy is an egomaniac and a loose cannon.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 10:10 AM)
Rios has more extra base hits (40) than everyone on our team except PK (42) and Dye (41). Also 19 SB (Getz is our leader with 18) compared to 3 CS.

He has a lot of talent, and does fit with KW's plan to get faster, younger and more athletic. I think KW sees the White Sox defense, and sees it just like we all do, they need a massive upgrade, and he fits the bill. Whether you really want to owe him $60 million is the big question.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 10:15 AM)
He gets into arguments with fans on radio shows. He insulted Adam Dunn on a radio show. The guy is an egomaniac and a loose cannon.

KW gets into arguments with fans at Soxfest, he called Frank Thomas an idiot when Frank was with the A's. I know KW is an egomaniac, but would that also make him a loose cannon?

If fans ask stupid questions or are blasting you with bad info, why can't you fire back. Frank Thomas is an idiot, and what Ricciardi said about Dunn isn't a unique JP Ricciardi thought. Both have big egos, but loose cannons, I dissagree.

Edited by Dick Allen

A friend told me that Scott Merkin said that this claim is to keep Rios away from the Tigers. This was posted on his Facebook. I haven't bothered to check and befriend him on there, so can anybody confirm this?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 09:18 AM)
KW gets into arguments with fans at Soxfest, he called Frank Thomas an idiot when Frank was with the A's. I know KW is an egomaniac, but would that also make him a loose cannon?

There is a massive difference between having a debate in a closed environment designed for fans - a "town hall" meeting, if you will, and randomly acosting fans on a radio show, where everything is broadcasted to a much larger audience and recorded for posterity.

Secondly, Adam Dunn never played for JP Ricciardi. Adam Dunn never did a thing to him. JP just went off on him because a fan suggested they trade for him. Frank Thomas and KW have a history. That is not a good analogy at all.

Kenny does have a big mouth, and a big ego. But when Kenny has gotten controversial in the past, he has done it to protect this organization, not because he wanted to prove he is some sort of genius. The situations aren't particularly comparable.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 10:22 AM)
A friend told me that Scott Merkin said that this claim is to keep Rios away from the Tigers. This was posted on his Facebook. I haven't bothered to check and befriend him on there, so can anybody confirm this?

Like others said in the thread, if Riccardi decides to walk away, we just commited to ~$60 millions just to keep him away from the Tigers. Ballsy.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 08:18 AM)

If fans ask stupid questions or are blasting you with bad info, why can't you fire back. Frank Thomas is an idiot, and what Ricciardi said about Dunn isn't a unique JP Ricciardi thought. Both have big egos, but loose cannons, I dissagree.

Frank had a long history of whining about his contract while playing under Kenny, and the Sox also paid Frank a ton of money to sit on his couch at home with injuries.

What did Adam Dunn do to Ricciardi to deserve those comments?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 09:22 AM)

I simply don't see how this could be possible.

What if the Jays were desperate to dump his salary (which they may be), and just said "fine, here, take him."

You're telling me we were ready to assume a $60 million commitment just to block the Tigers?

Not buying it.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 08:27 AM)
I simply don't see how this could be possible.

What if the Jays were desperate to dump his salary (which they may be), and just said "fine, here, take him."

You're telling me we were ready to assume a $60 million commitment just to block the Tigers?

Not buying it.

The Tigers are most likely not interested in picking up a $60 million contract. Last I heard, they were pretty desperate to shed payroll.

Even if Kenny did do this to cock-block the Tigers, wouldn't Ricciardi be able to put Rios back on waivers 30 days from Tuesday? What would keep Rios away from the Tigers then?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 10:25 AM)
There is a massive difference between having a debate in a closed environment designed for fans - a "town hall" meeting, if you will, and randomly acosting fans on a radio show, where everything is broadcasted to a much larger audience and recorded for posterity.

Secondly, Adam Dunn never played for JP Ricciardi. Adam Dunn never did a thing to him. JP just went off on him because a fan suggested they trade for him. Frank Thomas and KW have a history. That is not a good analogy at all.

Kenny does have a big mouth, and a big ego. But when Kenny has gotten controversial in the past, he has done it to protect this organization, not because he wanted to prove he is some sort of genius. The situations aren't particularly comparable.

KW's Soxfest get togethers are covered by print and on air media. I would imagine his comments in those settings reach far more than the amount of people listening to Ricciardi's radio show before anything goes national, or international. When they say something newsworthy, it will reach the masses. I don't buy how its OK to say something at Soxfest, when the media is present, but not OK to say something on a radio show.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 08:31 AM)
KW's Soxfest get togethers are covered by print and on air media. I would imagine his comments in those settings reach far more than the amount of people listening to Ricciardi's radio show before anything goes national, or international. When they say something newsworthy, it will reach the masses. I don't buy how its OK to say something at Soxfest, when the media is present, but not OK to say something on a radio show.

You're missing the point about Frank constantly whining about his contract and not playing on the field (due to a myriad of injuries) on Kenny's team. Frank did financial damage to the Sox in the latter third of his career. What did Adam Dunn ever do to Ricciardi's team?

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 09:31 AM)

I didn't say it was "ok" or "not ok."

I think the settings are different. I think Soxfest is a special event that occurs one weekend a year which gives Sox fans a chance to come together with players and the FO and to ask questions. Debates and discussions occur there. From what I understand, KW is not disrespectful or rude during these conversations.

On the other hand, JP has mouthed-off to fans on a freaking weekly radio show. Do you honestly consider these two forums to be comparable?