Confirmed: White Sox claim on Alex Rios on waivers

prochisox

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 03:56 PM)
Figgins has played 244 career games in CF compared to 36 in LF and 27 in RF.

And he's been terrible in the outfield. His UZR/150 in the OF over the years is a -6.4. Not good. I'd rather stick him at 3B.

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 03:47 PM)
That's not what it means. Teams are able to put in waiver claims based on order of record. If the Washington Nationals wanted to put in a waiver claim on him, they'd have every shot to do so, and no other team would have the chance.

Do they actually go one at a time (from worst to best), then stop once a team puts in a claim? I thought every team has an opportunity to put in a claim, and then when the process is over, you look to see who "wins, e.g., who has the worst record among the claiming teams.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 03:59 PM)
And he's been terrible in the outfield. His UZR/150 in the OF over the years is a -6.4. Not good. I'd rather stick him at 3B.

So he's been terrible in the OF but you want him in LF? Either way, every indication from the White Sox is that Beckham will be a 3B and for a long time. With that said, I wouldn't mind Figgins/Ramirez/Beckham/Konerko around the infield.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 03:59 PM)

Figgins 3B, Alexei SS/2B, Bacon SS/2b, PK 1B would be my ideal IF....but I worry about the lack of power with that IF.

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 04:01 PM)
Figgins 3B, Alexei SS/2B, Bacon SS/2b, PK 1B would be my ideal IF....but I worry about the lack of power with that IF.

The only place your lacking power is at 3B, and thats your leadoff man. You'd still have good power from your DH, RF, 1B, and some from your SS/LF/2B/C.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 04:01 PM)
So he's been terrible in the OF but you want him in LF? Either way, every indication from the White Sox is that Beckham will be a 3B and for a long time. With that said, I wouldn't mind Figgins/Ramirez/Beckham/Konerko around the infield.

No I want him at 3B or 2B.

I thought he only played left field.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 04:00 PM)
Do they actually go one at a time (from worst to best), then stop once a team puts in a claim? I thought every team has an opportunity to put in a claim, and then when the process is over, you look to see who "wins, e.g., who has the worst record among the claiming teams.

Any team can make a claim. The claim is then awarded to the team that is highest on the list. Rios may have been claimed by 3-4 teams for all we know, but unless the team that is awarded the player makes a deal within the alloted time period (think it's like 24-48 hours or so) the player cannot be traded to any other team, even if other teams also make claims.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 04:09 PM)
Any team can make a claim. The claim is then awarded to the team that is highest on the list. Rios may have been claimed by 3-4 teams for all we know, but unless the team that is awarded the player makes a deal within the alloted time period (think it's like 24-48 hours or so) the player cannot be traded to any other team, even if other teams also make claims.

That's exactly how I understood it. So, if only one team put in a claim for Rios (if that is true, who knows), then you can say that only one team wants him. Everyone, I thought, has a chance to put in a claim.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 09:09 PM)
I'd be shocked if Kenny was able to take on Rios and his contract after acquiring Peavy.

Don't we have like 30 million coming off the books? Not to mention we are likely in a position to add to this year's 90 million dollar payroll anyways. We could easily afford him, I just think the money is better spent elsewhere.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 04:03 PM)
The only place your lacking power is at 3B, and thats your leadoff man. You'd still have good power from your DH, RF, 1B, and some from your SS/LF/2B/C.

Very true. Is Figgins a FA this coming up offseason?

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 04:13 PM)
Don't we have like 30 million coming off the books? Not to mention we are likely in a position to add to this year's 90 million dollar payroll anyways. We could easily afford him, I just think the money is better spent elsewhere.

43.15 million coming off the books if both Dye and Thome leave.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 04:12 PM)
That's exactly how I understood it. So, if only one team put in a claim for Rios (if that is true, who knows), then you can say that only one team wants him. Everyone, I thought, has a chance to put in a claim.

Yeah you've got right.

The waiver stuff is always kept under wraps a lot better because it all involves MLB players and GM's can do their own video scouting and make their own decisions, so you don't have like a thousand scouts involved and then reporters all following those guys around looking for information. And you don't get all the BS rumors this time of year either, and on and on. Plus the waiver wire is always flooded with players. So even though one source says only one claim was made, or at least insinuates that only one claim was made, there could have been a bunch. The number of teams that claim a player and the identity of those teams is really irrelevant though since only the team that is awarded the claim matters.

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 09:21 PM)
I saw on mlbtraderumors comments that the order is in reverse of the league the player is in, then the other league. Is this true? I thought it was just reverse record regardless of league.

They have it right.

Gammons had a good article on the waiver wire a few years back on how everyone is put through it. For example I believe we put Konerko and Buehrle through in 2004 for pretty much no reason at all.