Confirmed: White Sox claim on Alex Rios on waivers

prochisox

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 04:18 PM)
Yeah you've got right.

The waiver stuff is always kept under wraps a lot better because it all involves MLB players and GM's can do their own video scouting and make their own decisions, so you don't have like a thousand scouts involved and then reporters all following those guys around looking for information. And you don't get all the BS rumors this time of year either, and on and on. Plus the waiver wire is always flooded with players. So even though one source says only one claim was made, or at least insinuates that only one claim was made, there could have been a bunch. The number of teams that claim a player and the identity of those teams is really irrelevant though since only the team that is awarded the claim matters.

Does the team with the "winning" claim find out how many other teams put in claims for the player? Even though that team has the sole shot at working out a trade, I can see it affecting the negotiations. With Rios, for example, the Blue Jays could ask for a lot more in trade, I imagine, if 8 teams put in a waiver claim versus 1 (i.e. "we know that a lot of teams were interested, so we may wait until the offseason to trade him if we can't agree on a deal").

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 02:23 PM)
They have it right.

Gammons had a good article on the waiver wire a few years back on how everyone is put through it. For example I believe we put Konerko and Buehrle through in 2004 for pretty much no reason at all.

The thing that makes this one interesting is...you could actually see the Blue Jays just letting him go.

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 04:21 PM)
It seems to be a forgone conclusion that the Sox sign Figgins, where did this come from? Anyways, I would love Rios. He is having a little bit of a down year while playing for a garbage team. Pods-Rios-Quentin would be nice in '10

I don't think anyone believes it is a forgone conclusion. I think he is just more on the wishlist.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 04:23 PM)
They have it right.

Gammons had a good article on the waiver wire a few years back on how everyone is put through it. For example I believe we put Konerko and Buehrle through in 2004 for pretty much no reason at all.

Teams put their entire rosters through waivers to hide the players they are trying to trade. A team can only make so many claims, so the trick is to try to find the guys that are being snuck through by your rivals.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 04:24 PM)
The thing that makes this one interesting is...you could actually see the Blue Jays just letting him go.

If I am the Jays, I let him walk so I can keep Halladay. It is a dream come true for them. The only thing better would have been someone claiming Wells.

There's only 5 teams ahead of us in the waiver order since the AL gets first dibs.

1. Royals - No

2. Orioles - No

3. Indians - No

4. A's - No

5. Twins - No

6. White Sox - Maybe

7. Mariners - No

8. Tigers - Maybe

9. Rays - No

10. Rangers - No

11. Red Sox - Maybe

12. Angels - No

13. Yankees - Maybe

We're the first maybe of the bunch. If KW really wants him, there's a good chance that we claimed him.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 04:27 PM)
Theres no way I would take on that contract without the Jays eating some of it.

It doesn't work like that right now. IF we claimed Rios, the Jays can stick us with the entire contract, no questions asked, and no negotiations involved.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 02:27 PM)
If I am the Jays, I let him walk so I can keep Halladay. It is a dream come true for them. The only thing better would have been someone claiming Wells.

If I'm them, I hold out for the 48 hours or whatever and try to negotiate a deal to bring something back. If there's no deal in place, then I stun the other team by letting him go anyway.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 09:29 PM)
It doesn't work like that right now. IF we claimed Rios, the Jays can stick us with the entire contract, no questions asked, and no negotiations involved.

Yeah I know. I was basically saying that I wouldn't claim him if I were KW.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 10:24 PM)
I wish.

If we put him in CF where he belongs he's absolutely worth his contract. Plus his BABIP is some 40 points below his career average, so there's a huge chance for a bounceback, especially in the Cell.

QUOTE (JDsDirtySox @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 04:35 PM)
Will Carrol is reporting on twitter that there is a lot of speculation that the White Sox are the team that claimed Rios.

He must have been reading the MLBTR comments.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 09:36 PM)
If we put him in CF where he belongs he's absolutely worth his contract. Plus his BABIP is some 40 points below his career average, so there's a huge chance for a bounceback, especially in the Cell.

You know, alot of people claim that offensive numbers will go up if a player moves to the Whitesox due to the Cell. I don't buy it though. Everyone thought Swisher would hit 30-35 hrs because of the Cell and he was still a crappy hitter.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 04:24 PM)
Does the team with the "winning" claim find out how many other teams put in claims for the player? Even though that team has the sole shot at working out a trade, I can see it affecting the negotiations. With Rios, for example, the Blue Jays could ask for a lot more in trade, I imagine, if 8 teams put in a waiver claim versus 1 (i.e. "we know that a lot of teams were interested, so we may wait until the offseason to trade him if we can't agree on a deal").

I wouldn't imagine that the claiming team finds out or really even cares because if you win the claim he's yours to deal for and the rest don't matter.

From the Jays standpoint, I would imagine they'd find out, but maybe not, I don't know. And of course you have to consider that if say 8 teams claimed him, maybe only 1 would be willing to give up talent for him and the other 7 just put in the claim thinking they'd pick him up for his contract only. Either way, if the Jays want something they'll have to wait for the offseason anyway in order to negotiate with everyone for the best offer. But the risk there is that there may be so many good bargains out there on 1-year deals that nobody is willing to trade anything more for him. Or even worse, from the Jays' perspective, what if the Jays pull back the claim this year and then Rios breaks his leg over the offseason? If the Jays NEED to clear that salary, they should first ask for talent from the team with the winning claim, and if that team isn't willing to give up anything, they should just go ahead and dump Rios' contract on them rather than take the chance over the season. You never know what can happen and if ownership wants the salary gone I imagine they'd be extremely pissed if the GM passed on an opportunity to ditch the full contract no strings attached. In fact, in this case, ownership could even demand they dump the salary if the financial situation for them is that dire.

Maybe this is the 1st shoe dropping on a larger deal. What if Halladay made it through waivers too and now the Red Sox are willing to take on Rios' salary as well, can they be moved together now? Not 100% on this idea, but something worth considering?

Buchholz

Bowden

Anderson

for

Rios

Halladay

That's a trade somebody proposed on MLBTR.

I didn't know Brian Anderson had THAT much value...xD

Edited by chw42

There's a lot of speculation that we never landed on the moon.

I'd be in heaven if I found out tomorrow that Kenny got Rios and is also the one in on Wagner. Imagine adding those two guys plus Peavy for the stretch run! Pipe dream I know, but Detroit would be dead and f***ing buried. Jarrod Washburn LMAO, eat that Murder City.