Confirmed: White Sox claim on Alex Rios on waivers

prochisox

QUOTE (CryptviLL @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 06:59 PM)
To the team who won the claim, is there anything else (other teams) blocking them from getting Rios? Id assume theyd have to pass players through waivers to make a trade, so teams could block that.

But also i assume that if the jays would not accept any players and instead just let him and his contract go to the other team, then there is nothing any other team can do about it

sorry for my ignorance / if it has been posted already

The team that won the original claim has exclusive trade rights through Tuesday, the Jays can only deal with this team and no other team can block the trade. If the Jays pull Rios off waivers he then could not be traded until the offseason.

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What Kalapse said.

And if they Rios got claimed by a team the Jays simply do not want to trade Rios to, they can pull him back off of waivers. However, the penalty for doing so, is, as Kalapse said, they cannot trade him until the offseason. This is to prevent a team from continuing to put a player on waivers and then pull him off until the team of their choice happens to win the claim.

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 05:15 PM)
Bernstein was saying the Sox would be on the books to pay him 12 mil a year after next year for 3 seasons after that. This guy is not worth that kind of annual money.

He was for the last 3 years before this one.

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 07:15 PM)
Bernstein was saying the Sox would be on the books to pay him 12 mil a year after next year for 3 seasons after that. This guy is not worth that kind of annual money.

Well, not so fast. Over the past three years he has averaged close to an .850 OPS with excellent defense and 25 stolen base potential. He certainly could be worth it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 07:17 PM)
He was for the last 3 years before this one.

I dont understand. He said that he was only owed 5 mil this year and 9 next year. he must have had his numbers wrong or I misunderstood what he said.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 08:21 PM)
Found this as well, take it with a gain of salt:

"I was watching the Blue Jays vs. Orioles broadcast on MASN and they said it was the White Sox who claimed Rios."

MASN is the O's station.

QUOTE (GO CHI SOX! @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 08:21 PM)
somebody posted on mlbtr that they were watching the blue jays vs orioles game and claims they said they heard the white sox claimed him.

Awesome

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 12:20 AM)
I dont understand. He said that he was only owed 5 mil this year and 9 next year. he must have had his numbers wrong or I misunderstood what he said.

09:$5.9M, 10:$9.7M, 11:$12M, 12:$12M, 13:$12.5M, 14:$12.5M, 15:$13.5M club option ($1M buyout)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 07:19 PM)
Well, not so fast. Over the past three years he has averaged close to an .850 OPS with excellent defense and 25 stolen base potential. He certainly could be worth it.

Not in this baseball economic world. 12 mil a year should get you some great numbers all around these days. That is why the Jays are desperate to dump him because he isnt even close to being worth it. The guy has ability but he has yet to show he is one of the elite.

Would it be overpaying? Maybe...

But he has the potentional, the athleticism to be more then worth it.

And worst come to worst, he has the steady defense and steady speed to be a productive everyday player. We are possibly the owrst defensive team in the al, and with our stud pitching, the number 1 thing we need to do in this offseason is get our D fixed. This would help solve that and give us speed + a could be GREAT hitter. Im so in on this