Confirmed: White Sox claim on Alex Rios on waivers

prochisox

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 06:47 PM)
Rios is a whole lot of money. One of the worst contracts in the game. So i'm very tenative about picking him up. I wouldn't object to a package of Ely, Shelby and Harrell, with anyone of the Danks variety being off the table. This is a risk/reward type thing. Financially, the risk is HUGE.

Rios contract isn't that bad. Maybe you're confusing him with Vernon Wells contract which is the worst in baseball. You take away Dye, Thome and Contreras contracts for next year and in the coming years replace Konerko with any number of power prospects in the minors who aren't currently 1st baseman and keep the 5th starter young and cheap also. Throw Jordan Danks in there and Flowers to replace AJ and the only high paying contracts in the next 3 yrs or so is the starting pitchers and Rios .

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 01:42 AM)
That's a pretty bad worst case scenario, given the way the Sox run their finances. The Yankees can absorb a contract like that. The Sox can't easily, especially now that they've picked up Peavy's deal.

Looking at next year's free agents, and even after 2010, there aren't a lot of options for the sox to spend their money on. It makes sense to spend on a guy like Rios who has had a very good track record of performance. That's why the Peavy deal also made sense.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 09:17 PM)
It could be a choice for CF between "overpaying" Rios, or hoping to land Figgins as a FA but having to give up a draft pick for him. I'd rather go with Rios.

If the choice was Figgins vs. Rios another plus for Rios is that if something happens where Figgins loses speed, Figgins then loses a ton of value. Rios has power potential that should only increase in the Cell, so I think he'd be a better longterm investment. The fact that Rios plays a better CF helps too. I really hope we get this claim and the Jays dump Rios on us for nothing. I'd be thrilled.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 07:24 PM)
If the choice was Figgins vs. Rios another plus for Rios is that if something happens where Figgins loses speed, Figgins then loses a ton of value. Rios has power potential that should only increase in the Cell, so I think he'd be a better longterm investment. The fact that Rios plays a better CF helps too. I really hope we get this claim and the Jays dump Rios on us for nothing. I'd be thrilled.

I'm with you on this. Figgins is 3 years older than Rios so Rios figures to be better longer.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 10:30 PM)
So Rios has about 6 years and 62 million remaining on his contract? If KW wants him, you don't even think of trading prospects for him.

Unless Toronto is going to take $30 million of the $62 million in salary. Then you probably can give up an Infante + Shelby + Retherford, something like that. Maybe even you give up Torres. If Rios costs only $32-$40 million over the next 6 years, it's an OK pick up. But the $62 million sucks up a lot of money that you could be using to, say, lock up Beckham long term.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 02:33 AM)
Unless Toronto is going to take $30 million of the $62 million in salary. Then you probably can give up an Infante + Shelby + Retherford, something like that. Maybe even you give up Torres. If Rios costs only $32-$40 million over the next 6 years, it's an OK pick up. But the $62 million sucks up a lot of money that you could be using to, say, lock up Beckham long term.

Yep, between that and the Peavy deal, that's a ton of money we would be tying up. If you do that, better hope they live up to their expecations.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 07:33 PM)

There's no reason at all to lock up Beckham right now long term as he's under the Sox control for quite a while.