Confirmed: White Sox claim on Alex Rios on waivers

prochisox

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 08:27 PM)
If we claimed him, I think it is just to block the Tigers.

You can't take the risk "just to block the Tigers."

If the Jays want to unload him, we have to take him at that point. Even if it is for nothing.

You don't assume a $60 million contract just to prevent the Tigers from possibly claiming him.

I think there's a good chance that the mystery team that claimed Rios is either the White Sox or Tigers. Given that the Sox have the first shot, better odds that it was us.

The speculation in all of this is that Ricciardi would be willing to let the claiming team take Rios for nothing in return and unload his lofty salary. In many ways, that's the smart move. In many way,s that's the right move. I do not, however, believe Ricciardi is the kind of general manager to make that decision. Ricciardi is more likely to overplay his hand in this situation (of which he has none) and ask for some kind of talent rather than clearing up his payroll.

If I'm Kenny, I probably make a claim on Rios. He's overpaid, but not grossly. Worst case scenario is you get stuck with a big contract, but even then the Sox have money freeing up next season and Rios is a very useful player. If Ricciardi comes to you and tries to negotiate a trade, I think you offer him a non-prospect or two and if that won't do it, you move on having successfully kept a pretty good player from falling into any other contenders hands.

The way J.P. is talking about this, I feel like he's going to try to save face. He'll try to work out a trade and then, once he fails, he'll say that the Jays would never let someone of Rios' ability go for free. But they probably should.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 09:05 PM)
Why do you suggest he should be playing a corner spot?

Because he plays a corner spot now. Vernon Wells is actually not that good in CF, but yet he plays CF over Rios.

He'd be better than Pods, and that's about it.

QUOTE (R.J. @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 09:37 PM)
Worst case scenario is you get stuck with a big contract,

That's a pretty bad worst case scenario, given the way the Sox run their finances. The Yankees can absorb a contract like that. The Sox can't easily, especially now that they've picked up Peavy's deal.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 07:39 PM)
Because he plays a corner spot now. Vernon Wells is actually not that good in CF, but yet he plays CF over Rios.

He'd be better than Pods, and that's about it.

I don't think the numbers back you up there...

And there are quite a few reasons Wells plays center over Rios, first and foremost being the Jays are trying to justify that monstrous contract by leaving Wells there even though he is declining. I think Rios is probably better at this point in his career defensively than Wells.

I really think it's the Sox who claimed him. Let's do some math shall we ? Rios is owed about $2M this yr. and 9.7M in 2010 = $11.7 . If the Sox were to pick up Dye option for 2010 that's $12M . So for basically the same price the Sox would have Rios instead of Dye. This solves many problems such as how do the Sox get younger, faster and better defensively and who replaces Dye.

It also gives the economy another year to rebound and possibly get more corporate sponsors back in the coming years . Imagine the Sox contending for the next five years in a row. The economy rebounds and sponsors all want to jump on the Sox bandwagon. By the time 2011-2014 rolls around if the economy does indeed rebound Rios contract might look like a bargain if he stays relatively injury free and produces at the same rates he's been for the prior 3 years.

Rios also would replace Wise or Kotsay on the roster which is a huge upgrade for this year. If Jordan Danks can come in and play decently the Sox have a cheap outfield option there. Alex Rios is a younger version of JD physically and we'd pay him the same as we're paying the older slower version.

It makes a lot of sense to me.

Rios is a whole lot of money. One of the worst contracts in the game. So i'm very tenative about picking him up. I wouldn't object to a package of Ely, Shelby and Harrell, with anyone of the Danks variety being off the table. This is a risk/reward type thing. Financially, the risk is HUGE.

So if he didn't make it to the NL, who besides us is left?

Not SEA, not BOS, not CLE, highly doubtful it's the Twins or A's, Rangers can't take on salary...

Angels

SOX

Royals

Yankees

Rays

Orioles

Tigers

Doesn't make sense that the Rays would be able to take that salary on with Burrell's contract. O's and Royals don't make sense. Tigers still have a lot of salary commitments past 2009. Us and the Yankees have to be the favorites here, but can't discount the Angels' ability to acquire CF'ers out of nowhere.

I could see the Sox working out a deal with Tor. with some lower level but decent prospects for 2 reasons: 1] to help Tor. save face with their fan base; and 2] to get Tor. to kick in some money. Tor. isn't likely to just let him walk for nothing, even if they want to get out from under Rios' contract.

Rios would seem to fit in with what the sox want to do, and with how Kenny operates: improve their defense, get younger and more versatile on offense, and would seem to be a good bet to rebound coming off a down year. His last three years, he's avg'd a .296 avg, .347 OBP, and a .489 SLG. His last 2 years he had 70+ extra base hits.

I would have no problem with the Sox getting Rios. It would help them win now and in the next few years. The OF could start 2010 with Pods in LF, Rios in CF, and Carlos in RF. Jordan Danks could possibly be ready to step in should someone go down to injury.

Chone Figgins, who would be hard to sign anyway, is likely to get a 3, 4 yr deal with money similar to what Rios is making.