Confirmed: White Sox claim on Alex Rios on waivers

prochisox

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 08:16 PM)
AL waiver order as of today:

1) KC

2) BAL

3) CLE

4) OAK

5) TOR

6) MIN

7) CWS

8) SEA

9) TB

10) DET

11) TEX

12) BOS

13) NYY

14) LAA

Let me see...

Cross out:

Oakland, they dumped Holliday because of money.

Cleveland's dumping salary.

Minnesota wouldn't pick him up because of his salary.

It's doubtful that Detroit would either.

Angels have too many high OF salaries already.

I doubt, KC, BAL, SEA, TEX would invest in Rios.

The only A.L. teams that make some sense would be Chicago, New York, and Tampa Bay (claimed to block the Yankees and Red Sox).

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am near positive he has a NT clause

Rios has been claimed off waivers by an unspecified team, ESPN reports. The Blue Jays can now trade him to the club, let the club claim him outright or pull him back off waivers.

Recommendation: Given that Rios has more than $60 million and six years left on his contract, it would seem likely that he'll be traded so that Toronto can reduce payroll. However, he does have a no-trade clause which could block a deal.

(Rotowire.com)

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 07:36 PM)
The Giants would be the best destination for Rios. I'm hearing they're not interested though. Bit weird when they're running Velez out their every night.

It wouldn't matter even if they were interested, Rios was claimed by an AL ballclub.

NTC shouldn't be a problem for Rios though, I mean we're talking about the Blue Jays here. He gets to go to a contender and have CF all to himself!

Vs. RHP

DH Thome/CQ/Dye

LF CQ/Pods

CF Pods/Rios

RF Dye/Rios

Vs. LHP

DH CQ

LF Pods

CF Rios

RF Dye

Rios plays all the time vs. lefties, then gives Pods, Dye, and CQ days off against tough matchups, also takes over CF no matter what when we play in Comerica

Lineup vs. LHP

LF Podsednik

3B Beckham

RF Dye

1B Konerko

DH Quentin

C Pierzynski

CF Rios

SS Ramirez

2B Getz

Speed, speed, speed....

Well, if we did claim Rios, Kenny has to be ready to walk away. My guess is Ricciardi understands the situation we're in going forward, understands KW's motivation, and will try and ask for Jordan Danks.

Personally, I would let them have Jordan if that is what it takes....but I don't know what the politics are behind that and the promises that may have been made behind the scenes...

Do we think KW has the patience to call Ricciardi's bluff?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 08:48 PM)
Looking at how the contract is structured, I actually think there is a pretty good chance that the Sox claimed him.

They have a lot of money coming off the books in the next few years and Rios fits a need.

Low OBP centerfielder who really should be playing a corner spot? We have that one covered pretty well for a lot cheaper, thank you very much.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 08:03 PM)
Low OBP centerfielder who really should be playing a corner spot? We have that one covered pretty well for a lot cheaper, thank you very much.

Why do you suggest he should be playing a corner spot?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 09:02 PM)
Well, if we did claim Rios, Kenny has to be ready to walk away. My guess is Ricciardi understands the situation we're in going forward, understands KW's motivation, and will try and ask for Jordan Danks.

Personally, I would let them have Jordan if that is what it takes....but I don't know what the politics are behind that and the promises that may have been made behind the scenes...

Well, in the Halladay talks, it was said that Riccardi did not like anyone in the Sox system (I'm sure that means of those in play). At this point, I'd guess that the Sox won't want to trade anyone, and will just take the salary if possible.

Rios is a CF and would play CF for the Sox.

If the Sox were willing to give up Danks, theyd have made a trade before he was put on waivers.

If the Sox are taking the contract they better not be giving up any talent.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 08:02 PM)

Kenny doesn't need patience. He has ALL the leverage here.

If the Sox got the claim, and Jays ownership wants that salary off the books ASAP, then Ricciardi is the one who has to break. Otherwise, Kenny can just go into the offseason with lots of payroll flexibility and be an immediate target for any team forced to dump a good player because of payroll concerns.

Edit: Kenny should make his best (very minimal) offer right out of the gate and let the Jays mull it over. If the Jays want more, Kenny can just walk away. Now that Rios' contract has been claimed it will be interesting to see if ownership gets involved and forces Ricciardi's hand regardless of how he feels about the talent package offered in return.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 08:06 PM)
Kenny doesn't need patience. He has ALL the leverage here.

If the Sox got the claim, and Jays ownership wants that salary off the books ASAP, then Ricciardi is the one who has to break. Otherwise, Kenny can just go into the offseason with lots of payroll flexibility and be an immediate target for any team forced to dump a good player because of payroll concerns.

I agree that is probably what would happen should he refuse to give up anyone of substance. However, JP has to know KW is looking at this as an opportunity to solve a long-term problem for the White Sox. Does Kenny just sacrifice a prospect to assure the deal gets done? I would be tempted...

However, you're absolutely correct, if he holds firm, he probably gets his man nonetheless.