Confirmed: White Sox claim on Alex Rios on waivers

prochisox

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!

Now let's get him and let's do it for NOTHING!!! I've had a man crush on Rios for a very long time. He's one o my favorite players to watch and I think he's going to turn it around. If the Sox make this move, and I've said this before, but I see a lot of possible parallels to the Dye signing out of Oakland. We'd be getting an extremely talented player for far, far less than he's worth and I think like Dye he'll blossom here. Two different types of players, but Rios I think can seriously do some damage in the future in the right situation.

QUOTE (CryptviLL @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 10:33 PM)
Naw, I dont get why any prospects would need to be added...

They want to get rid of him, they want to resign halladay. This will give them the oppertunity to do just that

It's a matter of good faith and mending relationships in bargaining.

The Sox know that Toronto is in dire straits, but they don't want to totally take Rios without giving something in return.

Think of it as an "I'm sorry for Sirotka."

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 10:44 PM)
YEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!

Now let's get him and let's do it for NOTHING!!! I've had a man crush on Rios for a very long time. He's one o my favorite players to watch and I think he's going to turn it around. If the Sox make this move, and I've said this before, but I see a lot of possible parallels to the Dye signing out of Oakland. We'd be getting an extremely talented player for far, far less than he's worth and I think like Dye he'll blossom here. Two different types of players, but Rios I think can seriously do some damage in the future in the right situation.

Except for the contract, which in this economy is probably more than he's worth. That said, this is a move that makes sense for this team.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 08:44 PM)
It's a matter of good faith and mending relationships in bargaining.

The Sox know that Toronto is in dire straits, but they don't want to totally take Rios without giving something in return.

Think of it as an "I'm sorry for Sirotka."

I agree. Throw them a bone.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 09:45 PM)
I agree. Throw them a bone.

I think taking Rios' contract off their hands is a pretty nice bone that's already being thrown. Especially if we were the only team that did so. But if we throw them Lillibridge or someone similar I could understand.

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 09:45 PM)
Except for the contract, which in this economy is probably more than he's worth. That said, this is a move that makes sense for this team.

At this point in time I agree, but he has the potential to become an $18-20M type of player as a CF. He's not doing it now obviously so he's considered overpaid, but this kid has tons of talent and we'd be getting him through his prime. You always hear about 5-tool players and everything, well Rios is the real deal. He's young enough to where he could still figure it all out, and the change of scenery can't hurt. Even if he never reaches his full potential though, he's capable of being a GG-caliber CF and hitting above average for a CF, which would make his contract market value or below.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 10:50 PM)
f*** Pods. He's the odd man out unless Dead is traded.

Sorry, he has been productive; but he's not in the long term plans of this club.

I agree, except who leads off this season? Beckham?

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 07:45 PM)

The contract could be a bargain. The economy is steadily improving so it could be much better in 2011-12-13. He'd be getting Dye money for those years but a younger, faster ,better defensive version of Dye in his prime ( if he didn't peak in 2007).