Confirmed: White Sox claim on Alex Rios on waivers

prochisox

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 05:21 PM)
Rios has a career .285 average, batted over .300 once. Oh btw, Pods costs about 1/24th of Rios.

2006 .302 BA 33 2b 17 hrs

2007 .297 BA 43 2b 24 hrs

2008 .291 BA 47 2b 15 hrs

Yes Pods cost 1/24th of Rios. Cheaper does not always mean better.

Edited by southsideirish71

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 05:23 PM)
Rios would fit in nicely. For the rest of this season Ozzie could work Rios in by DHing Quentin on some days and have Pods LF, Rios CF, and Dye RF. Other days he can rest Pods and have an OF of Quentin, Rios and Dye. Still other days he can sit Dye or DH him and have Q in LF, Pods in CF and Rios in RF. Still other days Rios can sit on the bench in place of Wise and come in as a defensive replacement when Buerhle has another perfect game going.

Detroit better hope we didn't win this claim.

And BTW can you imagine all the athleticism in a future OF comprised of Rios, D2, and Mitchell? Jesus Christ... Balls just wouldn't hit the ground out there.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 10:23 PM)
Please don't tell me you're judging a guy who's averages the last 3 years before this one were .302, .297, and .291 based on the fact that he didn't hit .300 in those last 2 seasons. (Not even bothering to go to the OPS or OPS+ levels here either).

All I'm saying is this move doesn't make sense to us. IMO

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 05:44 PM)
Bad news if true. Retardi would probably open up trade talks then.

These are the only 5 teams that can beat us on this if we wanted in.

1. Royals - No

2. Orioles - No

3. Indians - No

4. A's - No

5. Twins - No

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 05:44 PM)
Bad news if true. Retardi would probably open up trade talks then.

It doesn't matter how many teams claimed. Only the team who is at the top of the priority list can negotiate with the Jays. If they don't reach a deal, Rios can't go anywhere (assuming the Jays do pull Rios off of waivers)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 05:48 PM)
It doesn't matter how many teams claimed. Only the team who is at the top of the priority list can negotiate with the Jays. If they don't reach a deal, Rios can't go anywhere (assuming the Jays do pull Rios off of waivers)

Bingo. From what I've heard, the Red Sox for sure put a claim out on him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 10:48 PM)

Yes, but given that there are 5 teams interested in him, Retardi can always just wait until the offseason and see what his value is again. The question he has to ask of course is if interested now, why weren't they last week? I think we're all praying for a salary dump here.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 06:12 PM)
I am looking for a link but apparently Tom Verducci said that Rios did not get through the AL unclaimed.

Pretty much the only other AL team I can see making claim is the Yankees (assuming the Red Sox are telling the truth about not making a claim).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 05:56 PM)
Someone had a link to the Red Sox and Mets saying that they did NOT make a claim, earlier in this thread.

Oh I understand, but I've heard that they actually did. Something about Bay being out. I didn't even know he was out as I don't follow them that closely.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 05:54 PM)
Yes, but given that there are 5 teams interested in him, Retardi can always just wait until the offseason and see what his value is again. The question he has to ask of course is if interested now, why weren't they last week? I think we're all praying for a salary dump here.

There was a report a few days ago from AP with the Jays owner saying the team needed to cut costs.

"We think that we can bring costs reasonably under control and more in line with revenues," Blue Jays CEO Nadir Mohamed said.

So it's possible they decide to just let Rios go right now.

Wow. Again, this would be a move that would solidify the team more for the next few years, rather than this year. He would be a long-term answer to our CF problem, while allowing us to move Dye to DH or not bring back Podsednik.

It is definitely risky, but it would continue to increase our athleticism and versatility.

I would not be entirely opposed to it unless we actually had to give up something significant in return.