White Sox Acquire Alex Rios Off Waivers

DaTank

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 03:55 PM)
Fangraphs thinks it's a steal for us. "White Sox center fielders have been the definition of replacement level with their combined .269 wOBA, so Rios probably adds a full win to the White Sox down the stretch, increasing their odds of making the playoffs while not costing them a prospect. The South Siders have roughly $35 million coming off the books this fall, so Williams has done his holiday shopping early with the additions of Peavy and Rios, while helping his chances now. There’s some gambling going on here taking on these large contracts, but Rios is a much safer bet than Peavy. "

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/white-sox-stea-rios

Great article...it confirmed my initial thoughts of picking up Rios. :cheers

Thanks!

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 10:23 AM)
WE'RE ON THE FRONT PAGE OF YAHOO.COM!!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_leagu...?urn=mlb,181984

(doh, idiot writers)

it's not unreasonable to assume that this contract could come back and haunt the franchise for a while. If Rios becomes an awful player to have in the clubhouse or puts up a .725 OPS and can't put it all back together again, it's a hell of a burden on the organization.

The addition of Rios personally reminds me of Aramis Ramirez going to the Cubs - getting a good but struggling player who has a reputation of an attitude or being lazy on a bad team.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 04:30 PM)
it's not unreasonable to assume that this contract could come back and haunt the franchise for a while. If Rios becomes an awful player to have in the clubhouse or puts up a .725 OPS and can't put it all back together again, it's a hell of a burden on the organization.

it is very reasonable and i can't quarrel with any of the guys who have panned the move. that said, you do have a fair amount of cost-certainty for the near future and enough young talent (in theory) that you can count on having some relatively inexpensive alternatives if rios flames.

and i guess i look at it this way. if this year's total is rios's worse it's still better than what we've had in center and what we were going to be likely able to acquire. imho, even if rios flames it's not going to hamstring the organization in a major way going forward. frankly, peavy's contract concerns me more than rios's.

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 11:23 AM)
WE'RE ON THE FRONT PAGE OF YAHOO.COM!!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_leagu...?urn=mlb,181984

(doh, idiot writers)

Possibly one of the worst articles I've ever read and more reassurance as to why I never, ever read Yahoo! for anything sports (or news) related.

Anyone who thought the Jays had a bad signing when this deal was originally made, has to believe that now this is even worse. His stats are down and prices for players are down. However, sitting a shelf at WalMart a life preserver may be worth $29.99, ship going down, now what is it worth?

"I say deal J. Thome. Sure he hits some home runs, but Rios can do better overall than Thome. "

Why the f*** do people post things on the internet when they know absolutely nothing? I just picture drugged up monkeys mindlessly mashing on a keyboard with 95% of "comments" on stories.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 06:54 PM)
"I say deal J. Thome. Sure he hits some home runs, but Rios can do better overall than Thome. "

Why the f*** do people post things on the internet when they know absolutely nothing? I just picture drugged up monkeys mindlessly mashing on a keyboard with 95% of "comments" on stories.

well, people who can't pass the soxtalk entrance exam have to go somewhere.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 07:49 PM)
As far as this year, I am intrigued by the following scenario:

Pods starts in RF, with Rios in CF. Dye on the bench.

Getz is still your #9 hitter. Come late moments of the game, if a good lefty comes in to face Getz/Pods..... you can then sub-in Dye for a PH and force their hand to potentially leave said lefty in to face middle of the order righties.

Just one thought but ....in a lot of ways...we have lots of flexibility now.

And I really like not having to depend on Thome against great lefties late. Dye is not a natural PH but based on his slump, his fielding, and our righthandedness...........I think for awhile now we have to see him coming off the bench a few times a week.

Pods should never be near RF. I don't even know if he's ever played RF.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 11:46 AM)
Pods should never be near RF. I don't even know if he's ever played RF.

I'm not opposed to putting mediocre arms in RF under certain circumstances, but Pods' arm is even worse than Johnny Damon's.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 01:51 PM)
I'm not opposed to putting mediocre arms in RF under certain circumstances, but Pods' arm is even worse than Johnny Damon's.

It comes down to Quentin's inability to cover ground in RF vs. Pods' total lack of an arm in RF.

Great throws from the OF...it is great to have, but your team can be solid in all categories except this one, you sacrifice it. no team is perfect.

I also have to say that Quentin (playing with soreness) in RF might actually be a guy who cant get to balls AND cant throw people out. CQ has a strong arm but it seems like most of the time he just doesnt get anything behind his throws.

CQ got absolutely abused in LF sunday.... Pods has poor OF instincts but at least gets to balls.

When Dye sits, it's a tough situation, no question. I'm sure Ozzie's brilliant solution will be LF:CQ, CF:Pods, RF:Rios. I would flip the last two.

Edited by Princess Dye

CQ got absolutely abused in LF sunday.... Pods has poor OF instincts but at least gets to balls.

Although he did have a rough time hitting the cutoff man on a few balls, the CQ did gun a guy at home on a very nice throw Sunday. Pods will never make that play no matter where he plays. And while Pods may have the ability to get to balls, more often than not his routes have been atrocious.

When Dye sits, it's a tough situation, no question. I'm sure Ozzie's brilliant solution will be LF:CQ, CF:Pods, RF:Rios. I would flip the last two.

Ozzie should be thrown in a rubber room if he ever puts Pods in Cf over Rios if/when both are in the outfield/lineup. That would be criminal and about 100 times worse than Toronto shoving Rios to RF for overrated Vernon Wells.

QUOTE (suicidesqueeze @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 02:06 PM)
Ozzie should be thrown in a rubber room if he ever puts Pods in Cf over Rios if/when both are in the outfield/lineup. That would be criminal and about 100 times worse than Toronto shoving Rios to RF for overrated Vernon Wells.

I agree, but I think Ozzie's initial comments said something like-- he sees Rios playing LF/CF/RF. aeh.

Fortunately Ozzie has a history of saying one thing to reporters and never putting it into practice.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 11:56 AM)
It comes down to Quentin's inability to cover ground in RF vs. Pods' total lack of an arm in RF.

Great throws from the OF...it is great to have, but your team can be solid in all categories except this one, you sacrifice it. no team is perfect.

Pods' arm is exceptionally weak. Quite a few hitters will be able to turn long singles into doubles if he plays RF. There's a reason that Quentin has played RF and Pods never has.

I also have to say that Quentin (playing with soreness) in RF might actually be a guy who cant get to balls AND cant throw people out. CQ has a strong arm but it seems like most of the time he just doesnt get anything behind his throws.

Quentin didn't appear to have terrible range last season. At the very least, I think that he'd be as good out there as Maggs. Nobody would confuse CQ with Ichiro, and he's not even as good as JD or Vlad in their primes. But I don't see why he wouldn't be at least halfway decent there next season.

Quentin is also playing with plantar fascitis, which undoubtedly is slowing him down right now.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 02:15 PM)
Quentin is also playing with plantar fascitis, which undoubtedly is slowing him down right now.

Oh, no question I would want CQ in right field if the current injuries completely subside. It's just a matter of when that's going to be.

Everything we hear is that it bothers him but he plays thru it.

This is how it should be worked IMO:

Day 1: LF CQ, CF Pods (lead-off), RF Rios, 1B Konerko, DH Thome, Dye off

Day 2: LF Pods (lead-off), CF Rios, RF Dye, 1B Konerko, DH Thome, CQ off

Day 3: LF CQ, CF Rios, RF Dye, 1B Kotsay (lead-off), DH Thome, Pods & Konerko off

Day 4: LF CQ, CF Pods (lead-off), RF Dye, 1B Konerko, DH Thome, Rios off

Day 5: LF Pods (lead-off), CF Rios, RF Dye, 1B Konerko, DH CQ, Thome off

..and then just repeat this basically. Each player plays 4 times every 5 days and Kotsay plays once every 5 days. Wise gets nothing. CQ gets 1 day off per 5 days and another day to rest his legs.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 02:15 PM)
Quentin didn't appear to have terrible range last season. At the very least, I think that he'd be as good out there as Maggs. Nobody would confuse CQ with Ichiro, and he's not even as good as JD or Vlad in their primes. But I don't see why he wouldn't be at least halfway decent there next season.

Carlos also has a very sore knee, no doubt an effect from trying to compensate for his foot injury. He comes up hobbling whenever he has to run at full speed. Carlos needs much more time off.