White Sox Acquire Alex Rios Off Waivers

DaTank

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 08:25 PM)
We'll see in the winter.

Why wait, its pretty easy to use reason.

True/False With bad Free Agent classes, players generally get contracts that are more than what they are worth because of less supply.

True/False The economic situation wont be as dire this winter than last when teams didnt know what to predict

True/False Good defensive Cf'ers with a plus bat make more than 10 million a season on the open market

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 08:29 PM)
KW wasn't talking about Jose. Did you hear the interview or are you basing that from the quote reported here?

The context was as follows: Holmes asked KW if when he made the claim on Rios he had any concern that some of the veterans like Dye, Pods, Thome, etc. would have their feathers ruffled. KW responded not at all. He then added that watching games like yesterday's ruffle his feathers and that the players should worry about ruffling his feathers because that's when people start to leave town. Then he added that if the Rios move works, it makes it more likely that the vets will return.

It had nothing at all to do with Jose Contreras.

I believe it to be fair insinuation in regards to Jose as he referred to yesterday's game.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 08:31 PM)
Which is just flat out wrong since he's not including any of the $4.6M Hudson is going to earn in incentives this year.

Branyan and Everett are garbage anyway. Branyan is having an outlier year and Everett has returned to his non-hitting ways.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 02:28 AM)
Rosenthal said last offseason you could have signed Abreu, Hudson, Branyan and Adam Everett and still had $800 k left over for one season of what Rios would be averaging.

Hudson is earning like 8 million this year, so I doubt that. Unless you wanted to sign him and have him never play a game.

Edit: ehh, beaten.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 08:31 PM)
Which is just flat out wrong since he's not including any of the $4.6M Hudson is going to earn in incentives this year.

Not to mention we can't really put a price on what Rios could do for our OF...our OF has been been perhaps the worst in all of baseball the past few months.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 08:31 PM)
Why wait, its pretty easy to use reason.

True/False With bad Free Agent classes, players generally get contracts that are more than what they are worth because of less supply.

True/False The economic situation wont be as dire this winter than last when teams didnt know what to predict

True/False Good defensive Cf'ers with a plus bat make more than 10 million a season on the open market

That was in the past. I know you might think the economy is fine now, but its really not. There aren't a lot of teams that will be throwing around money this offseason for crap. This guy is signed for 5 years at $12 million. Its more than he would get on the market. The Yankees, Mets, Dodgers, Angels, Red Sox and Cubs won't be looking for high priced OF. Who else would be paying him?

Edited by Dick Allen

Jerry Angelo goes for broke and trades for Jay Cutler

Kenny Williams trades for Jake Peavy

Sox get Alex Rios for nothing

...man. This is awesome. Now let's turn this into some wins.

Damn, we hardly need an off-season now. This is awesome. Peavy and Rios as our trade acquisitions is AMAZING. And we got him for nothing? Nice.

For ONCE, it seems like we really made some excellent acquisitions to answer some holes of this team.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 01:36 AM)
That was in the past. I know you might think the economy is fine now, but its really not. There aren't a lot of teams that will be throwing around money this offseason for crap. This guy is signed for 5 years at $12 million. Its more than he would get on the market. The Yankees, Mets, Dodgers, Angels, Red Sox and Cubs won't be looking for high priced OF. Who else would be paying him?

Cardinals are going to have money to spend, according to their broadcasters tonight. Their attendance is going to be nearly 500k more than they expected.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:36 PM)

So, let's imagine this...let's say you're right and he's slightly overpaid. That means either he's making $1-2 million more than he should be per year, or he's signed for what, 1 year longer than would be fair?

Given our holes in CF and the fact that we get him for this season for only $2 million, doesn't it seem worth paying a slightly premium price if this guy brings production?

Good or bad, this is another one of KW's daring moves. I can't help but feel that contract is going to be a huge millstone around our necks in another few years, but what the hell. You gotta give KW credit for trying to shake up a very apathetic and inconsistent team.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 02:40 AM)
1.The Sox were willing to spend to get a player they have apparently wanted for quite some time now.

2.Rios will fill a hole that has been glaring since Rowand left.

3.They gave up nothing to get him.

4.They have once again avoided getting into a bidding war with another team during free agency.

So he is mildly overpaid(and that can be argued, and has by many).

Whats the problem?

Yep, this is a great move, I honestly believe. When I first heard of this last week, I was skeptical. However, there's a lot of positives to this move and we're not talking about Soriano money for Rios. It's a lot of money, but not something that should handicap your organization for a few years.

Jerry approved of this deal because of our attendance, per KW. We were at just over 90 million this year for our payroll this year before Peavy and Rios. We might not only be looking at that insane amount of money off the books, but also a general increase in payroll for next year, as I doubt the doomsday expectations were met. Regardless people worried about the money are being ridiculous.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 08:39 PM)
So, let's imagine this...let's say you're right and he's slightly overpaid. That means either he's making $1-2 million more than he should be per year, or he's signed for what, 1 year longer than would be fair?

Given our holes in CF and the fact that we get him for this season for only $2 million, doesn't it seem worth paying a slightly premium price if this guy brings production?

As a said, he's a nice player, but if he really is a lock to be as good as most think he is, Toronto wouldn't have let him go, and if Toronto would have pulled him back, a lot of the people who are praising him right now would have called Ricciardi an idiot for keeping him.

If he's a bargain, Ricciardi is an idiot for letting him go for nothing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 08:39 PM)

a few hours ago some smart person mentioned there are a couple spots where the team probably could and should overpay. This feels like that spot. The problems have been around for a few years and there does not seem to be a solution in the organization for the next year or two.

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 08:38 PM)
Who is not the type of player I would think needs to be called out.

Also something I don't disagree with.

KW isn't opposed to calling anyone out for better or for worse. He's called out the franchise's greatest player of all-time in an off-season rant that was totally uncalled for. KW gets carried away sometimes, but I don't think this was anywhere near one of those times.

1.The Sox were willing to spend to get a player they have apparently wanted for quite some time now.

2.Rios will fill a hole that has been glaring since Rowand left.

3.They gave up nothing to get him.

4.They have once again avoided getting into a bidding war with another team during free agency.

So he is mildly overpaid(and that can be argued, and has by many).

Whats the problem?

Your post exactly matches my feelings on the subject. It's amazing how people will complain no matter what. I sure as hell did complain how we had no leadoff/CF for a long time, but Pods is hitting very well and we now have a very legit CF who we gave up nothing for. Sometimes you have to spend that extra money; it's as simple as that. I'm excited as hell over this. Just for the deadline we've added two guys who make it look like this is the off-season (and an excellent one at that).

Edited by TheBigHurt