White Sox Acquire Alex Rios Off Waivers

DaTank

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 08:06 PM)
I'm not wrong. I'm asking a hypothetical question because the Sox just picked him up for nothing. Rios was given this contract in a different economic time.

Oh ok. I thought you were saying Rios was given his extension in a different climate than the other two.

Rios doesn't get the same figures right now, but he wouldn't be signed for scraps on the FA market either. He's young and has tons of talent, and would be far and away the best CF on the market this offseason if he were a FA.

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 08:08 PM)
just get to the point and state your beef with Rios. You are bringing up players that arent even closely related to what Rios is just to prove a point, I am just not sure what your point actually is. Rios's contract should be compared with Rowand and Hunter, not over the hill corner OF'er/DH's on their last legs in a recession.

My beef? I have no beef. I just don't think he's the savior everyone here thinks he is. He's a nice player, not a $60 million player.

QUOTE (Shamrock4Life @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 07:56 PM)
From the old thread:

Not entirely true. Until the offseason, the White Sox would have been the only team Toronto was able to negotiate with and that was only for 48.5 buisness hours.

But according to the Steve Phillips waiver wire arcticle on espn.com from 2005, the team waiving the player, gets to see who put a claim on the player.

MLB announces to the team placing a player on waivers which team "won" the claim. Toronto would not know if any other teams also made a claim. An earlier post in the other thread had Toronto entertaining offers from other teams this past weekend.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 08:10 PM)
And in the next offseason it will be a different economic time than this one. Whats the point? This offseason was an outlier?

Next offseason will be the same or worse. Probably worse as the FA class is pretty weak. Even the Yankees are making teams eat money.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 08:12 PM)
My beef? I have no beef. I just don't think he's the savior everyone here thinks he is. He's a nice player, not a $60 million player.

Thats the thing though, he was a 60 million dollar player when he signed the contract (as guys like Hunter). It doesn't make him less of a player, just means he signed at a time when there was more money around. And again, we're not the Marlins, this doesn't bankrupt or even risk bankrupting the team.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 08:16 PM)
Who do you suppose he is talking about?

Kenny was asked if he was worried about ruffling the feathers of some veterans who may see less playing time. Kenny said no, and that instead the players should worry about ruffling HIS feathers, like last night's game, because then players start leaving town.

IMO, we cannot guess what kind of contract Rios would receive if he were an FA this offseason until getting to the offseason. Rios still has time in the season to make himself seem more or less valuable.

In the grand scheme of things, I really think we got a gem of a player. Remember how much the entire league was pretty much drooling over Alex Rios? He put up the numbers, too!

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 08:12 PM)

Who said he was a savior? Please quote that post, cause I havent seen it. And yes, on the open market, not in last offseason, he IS a 60 million player, no question.

Aaron Rowand 5 years 60 million signed as a 30 year old career stats .282 .341 .793

Torii Hunter 5 years 90 million signed as 32 year old .274 .329 .802

Alex Rios 5 years 60 million signed as 27 year old career stats .285 .335 .786

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 08:16 PM)
Who do you suppose he is talking about?

I don't think he was insinuating anything about anyone in particular...

The question was posed if KW should be worried about upsetting Dye or Pods and maybe ruffling their feathers at all. KW responded, "Uhhhh no. A game like yesterday ruffled my feathers."