White Sox Acquire Alex Rios Off Waivers

DaTank

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 04:45 PM)
I like the move, as even if it means the end of Dye next season, we will have improved our outfield defense. We just got Peavy and Rios for at least the next 3 seasons without giving up any of our top 4 prospects. The biggest sign to me this was a good deal? It's the fact that if the Cubs did this, we would have been b****ing about how lame it is to acquire a player this way.

I think it means at least one of Dye/Thome is gone and that Jenks will be traded in the off-season. No way will the Sox be paying a closer massive bucks, imo.

Tonight's the night we're gonna make it happen

Tonight we'll put all other things aside

Get in this time and show me some affection

We're goin' for those pleasures in the night

I want to love you, feel you, wrap myself around you

I want to squeeze you, please you, I just can't get enough

And if you move real slow I let it go

I'm so excited and I just can't hide it

I'm about to lose control and I think I like it

And I know I know I know I know I know I want you

We shouldn't even think about tomorrow

Sweet memories will last for long long time

We'll have a good time, Baby, don't do worry

And if we're still playin' around boy that's just fine

Let's get excited, we just can't hide it

I know I know I know I know I know I want you, I want you

I want to love you, feel you, wrap myself around you

I want to squeeze you, please you, I just can't get enough

And if you move real slow I let it go

I'm so excited, I just can't hide it

I know I know I know I know I know I want you

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 12:11 AM)
I think it means at least one of Dye/Thome is gone and that Jenks will be traded in the off-season. No way will the Sox be paying a closer massive bucks, imo.

And you know I'll be thrilled when we trade Jenks. Cowley was saying earlier today that there's no way Dye doesn't return to the Sox next year, as he really wants to be here. However, I think today's move might have changed that.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 07:11 PM)

I don't see anyway in which we can trade Jenks. We need more bullpen arms, not less (thought I understand your sentiment). We have nobody in our bullpen that we can really trust for this year or next right now other than Jenks or Thornton.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 07:13 PM)
And you know I'll be thrilled when we trade Jenks. Cowley was saying earlier today that there's no way Dye doesn't return to the Sox next year, as he really wants to be here. However, I think today's move might have changed that.

Yeah, Frank really wanted to stay too.

I'm not entirely sold on wanting Jenks gone, but I only have had the chance to see him throw a couple times.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 05:48 PM)
What lifting did he get done? Usually we would be bidding for FAs that are coming off of a good year. We're giving 12 million dollars a year to a guy we HOPE and PRAY can get his OPS back to 860 or so. He hasn't been over 800 in a year and a half. I mean, f***, Aubrey Huff has a f***ing .917 OPS this year. Defense is nice and all, but we're talking 12 mil a year for a 830-860 OPS (hopefully) and solid CF defense. I'm sorry but that makes absolutely zero sense to me.

Aubrey Huff doesn't have a .917 OPS. Try .725. He's worse than Rios.

Aubrey Huff is also old and slow.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 07:09 PM)
Rios has talent, but lets not get carried away and think he's a bargain. Exactly how many $60 million contracts has KW doled out as a GM?

what other CF would you rather have for 12 million for the next 5 years given ages/production/declines/D,etc???

seriously...rowand? yeah right....ichiro,beltran or hunter? sure they are better but older and far more expensive. wells and his albatross deal?

the CF's available via free agency are garbage and via trade we would have given up serious talent for someone like victorino,kemp,hamilton,etc. the young and upcoming CF's like mccutchen,fowler,rasmus arent going anywhere given their contracts. this deal was terrific when you take everything into account.

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 01:15 AM)
Yeah, Frank really wanted to stay too.

And he would have stayed, but KW and the Sox didn't want him back in 2006. KW will decide which one he wants back, Dye or Thome, and it shouldn't be hard to keep them around for another year or two.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 05:13 PM)

If it doesn't, the Sox would have to add a left handed bat that could play some left field for cheap. A Raul Ibanez or something (not that Ibanez is available, but just throwing out random names). If they could do that, than you can also sign Dye to a fair deal for 1 or 2 seasons and let him Dh and play outfield.

I would just be hard pressed to see how the Sox did that. Either way I don't see them handing out any major contracts this off-season, in fact I see more of what they do will be 1-2 year deals or involve trades where they shed some payroll and try younger guys at some non-key positions within the pen.

I also think this puts an end to the Sox giving any money to a 5th starter. Our 5th starter next season (if the front 4 is healthy) will be one of Hudson/Torres/Garcia.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 05:14 PM)
I don't see anyway in which we can trade Jenks. We need more bullpen arms, not less (thought I understand your sentiment). We have nobody in our bullpen that we can really trust for this year or next right now other than Jenks or Thornton.

I think we'll see Jenks spun for some above average prospects and also see the Sox make a play at a reliever or two at 1-2 year deals. Bottom line I fully expect Thornton to be the Sox closer.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 08:15 PM)
Cowley says Kenny was trying to get Rios before the deadline anyway. Puts the "block Detroit" stuff to rest.

Wait. So JP wouldn't make a deal when he could have gotten talent for him, but would then dump him for nothing?