White Sox Acquire Alex Rios Off Waivers

DaTank

I like the move, as even if it means the end of Dye next season, we will have improved our outfield defense. We just got Peavy and Rios for at least the next 3 seasons without giving up any of our top 4 prospects. The biggest sign to me this was a good deal? It's the fact that if the Cubs did this, we would have been b****ing about how lame it is to acquire a player this way.

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:45 PM)
Team success over individual success... I'm pretty sure most of these guys grasp that concept.

I am certain they do also. But being benched basically ends a guy's career with a team. Who is going to be enthusiastic about that?

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:43 PM)
I have also loved nearly all of KW's moves, except the two Swisher moves.

I love this move. He gets the offseason heavy lifting done before the offseason.

We now have a real CF! I'm lovin' it.

What lifting did he get done? Usually we would be bidding for FAs that are coming off of a good year. We're giving 12 million dollars a year to a guy we HOPE and PRAY can get his OPS back to 860 or so. He hasn't been over 800 in a year and a half. I mean, f***, Aubrey Huff has a f***ing .917 OPS this year. Defense is nice and all, but we're talking 12 mil a year for a 830-860 OPS (hopefully) and solid CF defense. I'm sorry but that makes absolutely zero sense to me.

I was just watching the BLue Jay game up here in Canada, and they interviewed Rios in his street clothes on the way out of Yankee Stadium. He was teary-eyed about leaving and said he hadn't yet talked to the Sox about what his role would be with the team, but said he was excited about a chance to play in the playoffs.

Yep thanks for the Catch Dewayne "The Truth" Wise. Im a little mixed on Rios just because Im not sure where he plays right now. I definatly like the move for next year and beyond. Alex Rios is definately capable of .285/25/90 line, and hes defense is solid, and he not a base clogger. I like the attitude of the Mgmt, win now for sure, get younger and faster for later. Not bad. This basically spells the end for either Dye or Thome next year, or both.

His ABs are going to come from someone(s) total. Perhaps we have players thinking Great! Less playing time! I am so excited! But I really doubt it. Every pro athlete I have ever known wanted to be the guy playing every moment of the game.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:50 PM)
I hope this wasn't a Randy Meyers type wavier claim... not that Rios wont ever be able to play for us, but rather that KW didn't really want him and got him (and his salary) because he didnt want to see him in Detroit.

Rios has reportedly been one of Kenny's targets for a while. A big no on that one.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:48 PM)
What lifting did he get done? Usually we would be bidding for FAs that are coming off of a good year. We're giving 12 million dollars a year to a guy we HOPE and PRAY can get his OPS back to 860 or so. He hasn't been over 800 in a year and a half. I mean, f***, Aubrey Huff has a f***ing .917 OPS this year. Defense is nice and all, but we're talking 12 mil a year for a 830-860 OPS (hopefully) and solid CF defense. I'm sorry but that makes absolutely zero sense to me.

Rios is an elite defensive RF with an elite arm and the 500 innings he spent in CF last year were also among the best in the game. I suspect he'll be a bit better than 'solid' out there for us.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 04:48 PM)
What lifting did he get done? Usually we would be bidding for FAs that are coming off of a good year. We're giving 12 million dollars a year to a guy we HOPE and PRAY can get his OPS back to 860 or so. He hasn't been over 800 in a year and a half.

His OPS in the 2nd half last year was .879.

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 11:50 PM)
His ABs are going to come from someone(s) total. Perhaps we have players thinking Great! Less playing time!

Not really. Ozzie delves into his bench a lot anyways. This may require just a little more of that, but it's going to be hardly noticeable if Ozzie plays the cards right.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:52 PM)
Rios is an elite defensive RF with an elite arm and the 500 innings he spent in CF last year were also among the best in the game. I suspect he'll be a bit better than 'solid' out there for us.

He'd be b****ing at Kenny if we didn't put in the claim and Detroit picked him up.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:05 PM)
Jerry Angelo goes for broke and trades for Jay Cutler

Kenny Williams trades for Jake Peavy

Sox get Alex Rios for nothing

...man. This is awesome. Now let's turn this into some wins.

Hint Hint Hint...Bulls...

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 11:50 PM)
I hope this wasn't a Randy Meyers type wavier claim... not that Rios wont ever be able to play for us, but rather that KW didn't really want him and got him (and his salary) because he didnt want to see him in Detroit.

A) Detroit isn't in any apparent position to add 60 million dollars.

B ) Do you really think KW risks adding 60 million dollars for the sake of adding 60 million dollars?

KW wanted him. He got him.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood