White Sox Acquire Alex Rios Off Waivers

DaTank

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I could see Dye sitting in the most immediate days following this.

CQ needs to keep trying to get hot, whereas Dye just needs to be out of RF.

Pods is hitting .324 against lefties with high OBP, so if any platoon is happening, it's going to be Dye as a DH v. lefties.

This is reminiscent of the Griffey acquisition, KW is just telling Ozzie to sort it out.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:16 PM)
No, was just based on overhyped abilities that people thought he posessed. I've been fairly tame concerning it this year, its been mostly hard to argue against what he has done this year.

That's kinda my point. You come off as if it bothers you when he's doing well. Thus saying "it's hard to argue." As if you want to argue but you simply can't.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:17 PM)
So what are the full details of his contract?

Alex Rios of

7 years/$69.835M (2008-14), plus 2015 club option

7 years/$69.835M (2008-14), plus 2015 club option

signed extension with Toronto 4/4/08, re-working 2008 deal signed 2/5/08 ($3.5M signing bonus remains, 2008 salary reduced from $1.335M to $0.735M)

08:$0.735M, 09:$5.9M, 10:$9.7M, 11:$12M, 12:$12M, 13:$12.5M, 14:$12.5M, 15:$13.5M club option ($1M buyout)

full no-trade clause, 2009-10

limited no-trade clause, 2011 - end of deal (may block trades to 6 clubs)

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (The Critic @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 04:17 PM)
I am laughing at myself right now, because my main conflict with this move is that Podsednik's been playing too well to have playing time taken from him.

I cannot believe I just typed this.

:lolhitting

I've been wondering the same thing. But CQ has been hitting a lot better since the Yankees series. My guess is that Pods becomes the 4th OF.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 07:19 PM)
That's kinda my point. You come off as it bothers you when he does well. Thus saying "it's hard to argue." As if you want to argue but you simply can't.

It doesn't bother me in ANY way when anyone on this team does well. Hell thats kinda what I want daily. But I still think his 'value' to the 2005 team was a bit overexaggerated. I'm plenty happy as to the performance this year, and if we can bring him back at a decent deal for next year, I'm all for it.

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 04:14 PM)
We just took on a guy that most would have said was just another one of Riccardi's dumbass contracts. This is fun but I cant ignore that.

Different teams can have different definitions of dumbass contracts.

Is he overpaid as of now for his performance this year? Yes. Is it by a huge amount? No. Is his contract so large that it's going to interfere with us filling other holes in teh future? Likely no. Is he playing a position where, based on our recent history, it makes sense for us to pay a premium price? yes. Do we have more to spend than Toronto right now? Yes.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:21 PM)
It doesn't bother me in ANY way when anyone on this team does well. Hell thats kinda what I want daily. But I still think his 'value' to the 2005 team was a bit overexaggerated. I'm plenty happy as to the performance this year, and if we can bring him back at a decent deal for next year, I'm all for it.

I don't blame you Capn. Up until this year I was shocked that he still got a starting gig. Might as well just ride out this year of his/his fluke season.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:21 PM)

Fair enough. Not trying to start any trouble. Just an honest question.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:16 PM)
For some reason there's a very real anti-Pods faction that has to do with nonbaseball related stuff.

He kind of has that Rex Grossman type personality that (while perfectly OK to me) rubs some people the wrong way.

I don't think it's the personality. I think it's the quantitative guys who dislike the stereotypical "grinder" fans, the kind who've often supported Pods in the past, even when he was lousy. Of course, these folks -- with their hyper-emphasis on "metrics" -- have become a stereotype unto themselves, and quite irritating, as well. The irony is that Pods, this year, should be a metric guy's favorite, putting up decent OBP with some pop that boosts his OPS, too. But their likely response will involve "regression to the mean" and such. Good Lord.

Can we all agree? Pods is not a good fielder, but -- over the course of his career -- has been a pretty darn good leadoff man. The usual question is health.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:11 PM)
I love it. I didn't even want to comment on the topic before now because I was afraid of being disappointed. Alex, like CQ and Floyd, seems like the ideal 'change of scenery guy." The talent is undeniable.

You just have to marvel at the masterful job KW, Rick Hahn and CO. have done in just two short years in regards to upgrading the talent on the big club and restocking the farm. We were a f***ing mess in 2007. Now look at us! I'm not sure what's going to happen this year (I think the Tigers are going to win the division), but this team is in prime position to own the AL Central for the next 3-5 years.

Rick Hahn has to be one of the higher candidates for GM of another team this offseason, right? The guy's good.

This move was great, no matter if it blows up in our faces. It was the right move to make.

As I said before, I'm pretty sure this spells the end of Dye on the White Sox after this season. Thome as DH for 2010 with Konerko moving to DH in 2011 while Viciedo takes over 1B. It leaves us with the power lefty for next year PLUS the chance to see him crank out his 600th homer on our team.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:23 PM)
Different teams can have different definitions of dumbass contracts.

Is he overpaid as of now for his performance this year? Yes. Is it by a huge amount? No. Is his contract so large that it's going to interfere with us filling other holes in teh future? Likely no. Is he playing a position where, based on our recent history, it makes sense for us to pay a premium price? yes. Do we have more to spend than Toronto right now? Yes.

Is this a good post? Yes. Does it all make sense? Yes. Would everyone posting this way be a good thing? No. :lol:

I kid because I care™

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:18 PM)
He'd be lucky to get half that.

Look what Willy Taveras got (1) in a bad market (2) coming off less success than Pods

There's a serious leadoff hitter dearth. If he can convince a team of his passable CF play, he will get a good sized one year deal

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:25 PM)
Look what Willy Taveras got (1) in a bad market (2) coming off less success than Pods

There's a serious leadoff hitter dearth. If he can convince a team of his passable CF play, he will get a good sized one year deal

If Pods manages to ask for 4-5 mil for one season.. peace out Pods. Isn't his numbers close to OCabs from last year from the leadoff spot? I would think Getz would be passable there at 1/4th the price.

EDIT: Thank you Kalapse.

Orlando Cabrera batting 1st last year: .293 AVG, .341 OBP

Scott Podsednik batting 1st this year: .275 AVG, .343 OBP

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 07:24 PM)
Can we all agree? Pods is not a good fielder, but -- over the course of his career -- has been a pretty darn good leadoff man. The usual question is health.

With Rios in CF and CQ over in RF, we can deal with Pods in LF defensively in exchange for what he brings to the #1/#2 slot in the batting order.

Example:

Sunday - Quentin LF, Pods CF, Rios RF, Dye Off

Monday - Quentin LF, Pods CF, Dye RF, Rios Off

Tuesday - Pods LF, Rios CF, Dye RF, Quentin DH

Wednesday - Quentin LF, Rios CF, Dye RF, Pods Off

Thursday - Quentin LF, Pods CF, Rios RF, Dye DH

Friday - Pods LF, Rios CF, Dye RF, Quentin Off

Saturday - Quentin LF, Rios CF, Dye RF, Pods Off