White Sox Acquire Alex Rios Off Waivers

DaTank

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 07:17 PM)
And he would have stayed, but KW and the Sox didn't want him back in 2006. KW will decide which one he wants back, Dye or Thome, and it shouldn't be hard to keep them around for another year or two.

Agreed

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 07:15 PM)
Cowley says Kenny was trying to get Rios before the deadline anyway. Puts the "block Detroit" stuff to rest.

But when he tried to acquire him before, he probably was looking to give Toronto someone owed some money or for Toronto to send along cash, but I'm sure KW was prepared to get the contract. Its not all that much this year and with Contreras, Dye, Thome, Dotel, MacDougal, Viciedo's bonus and probably Jenks off the books or sevearly discounted, there's plenty of room for Rios' contract. KW could always place him on waivers after the season and if anyone claims him, let him go.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 07:17 PM)
If it doesn't, the Sox would have to add a left handed bat that could play some left field for cheap. A Raul Ibanez or something (not that Ibanez is available, but just throwing out random names). If they could do that, than you can also sign Dye to a fair deal for 1 or 2 seasons and let him Dh and play outfield.

I would just be hard pressed to see how the Sox did that. Either way I don't see them handing out any major contracts this off-season, in fact I see more of what they do will be 1-2 year deals or involve trades where they shed some payroll and try younger guys at some non-key positions within the pen.

I also think this puts an end to the Sox giving any money to a 5th starter. Our 5th starter next season (if the front 4 is healthy) will be one of Hudson/Torres/Garcia.

Good point about the 5th starter...but I figured we would use one of those guys even before Rios.

They definitely need a left-handed bat. If we can keep Dye for cheap...to play RF and DH....is there a left-handed 1B/DH we can get for a Raul Ibanez type in FA? Like a Casey Kotchman, Adam LaRoche...someone like that?

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 07:17 PM)
what other CF would you rather have for 12 million for the next 5 years given ages/production/declines/D,etc???

seriously...rowand? yeah right....ichiro,beltran or hunter? sure they are better but older and far more expensive. wells and his albatross deal?

the CF's available via free agency are garbage and via trade we would have given up serious talent for someone like victorino,kemp,hamilton,etc. the young and upcoming CF's like mccutchen,fowler,rasmus arent going anywhere given their contracts. this deal was terrific when you take everything into account.

Agree 100%

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 05:19 PM)
Wait. So JP wouldn't make a deal when he could have gotten talent for him, but would then dump him for nothing?

Well the initial talks probably involved the Sox giving up prospects and getting cash plus Rios in return so my guess is the Jays and sox couldn't agree to how much cash the prospects the Sox were willing to give up were worth.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 08:20 PM)
Both guys had different priorities. KW was trying to trade for Peavy, and Riccardi was trying to dump Halladay and Rolen.

KW didn't make that call until just before the deadline.

I like it for this year and beyond. Pick 4 out of Pods, Rios, Dye, Quentin, and Thome to play every night. Give the 5th a day off based on match-ups, etc. If you have, say, 6 games a week, those 5 guys are splitting 24 starts, and still get 4.8 each on average. So you can give each of them a day off a week, while not having the offensive drop off of playing Wise. After this year, I still think there's a spot for Dye as DH, and hope they resign him.

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 05:20 PM)
Good point about the 5th starter...but I figured we would use one of those guys even before Rios.

They definitely need a left-handed bat. If we can keep Dye for cheap...to play RF and DH....is there a left-handed 1B/DH we can get for a Raul Ibanez type in FA? Like a Casey Kotchman, Adam LaRoche...someone like that?

Interesting idea with Kochman who could play a plus defense but obviously doesn't have the plus left handed power. He's also had a surprisingly poor season after putting up pretty good numbers for most of last year in Anaheim (prior to his trade).

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 07:23 PM)
Hmm. Interesting. Would trading him make John Danks more difficult to re-sign?

That's thinking is silly. Although I'm sure the Danks brothers would love to play together, if the Sox traded Jordan Danks to another organization where he had a better opportunity to play in the major leagues and succeed, John Danks would be happy.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 07:24 PM)
I think we just got a market value CF'er for basically nothing but a contract. Torii Hunter-lite somewhat, but entering his prime. Great pickup.

exactly and when you take into account his age and skills he is on par or a better deal than hunter. moving to the cell never hurts.