White Sox Acquire Alex Rios Off Waivers

DaTank

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 05:24 PM)
I think we just got a market value CF'er for basically nothing but a contract. Torii Hunter-lite somewhat, but entering his prime. Great pickup.

And, unlike playing the FA market...we didn't have to outbid anyone...and we didn't have to lose a draft pick.

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 05:23 PM)
No. It does buy him an extra year to develop though.

It also allows the Sox to stick Danks in RF if they wanted to and ease him into things too. I can't see the Sox trading any of there young players for high contract guys. If anything I see them making prospect for prospect trades or something along those lines (basically to fit needs).

And Danks is still the only near ready OF prospect the club has.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 07:26 PM)
And, unlike playing the FA market...we didn't have to outbid anyone...and we didn't have to lose a draft pick.

In a sense we outbid everyone with a worse record in the AL. But in spirit I agree.

The dilemma here is Dye is battling for another (perhaps his last) extended contract, Podsednik as well, and Quentin is gradually recovering from his injury. None will be satisfied with taking off a few days a week to accommodate Rios; especially if any of them happen to be playing well and a day off is randomly thrown in.

It should be an interesting dilemma.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:48 PM)
What lifting did he get done? Usually we would be bidding for FAs that are coming off of a good year. We're giving 12 million dollars a year to a guy we HOPE and PRAY can get his OPS back to 860 or so. He hasn't been over 800 in a year and a half. I mean, f***, Aubrey Huff has a f***ing .917 OPS this year. Defense is nice and all, but we're talking 12 mil a year for a 830-860 OPS (hopefully) and solid CF defense. I'm sorry but that makes absolutely zero sense to me.

Rios struggled for a long stretch after he had a nasty flu for like 3 weeks, took him a long time to recover and he was terrible in that stretch (killed my fantasy team).

I like the move but that is a lot of dough, I don't think it makes much sense to pickup 07-08 contracts when the new baseball economy likely means that those deals are way too pricey. As every deal we shall see, at least we didn't give up any of the future.

All I know is we need wins!

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 07:22 PM)
Does this make Jor Danks trade bait this offseason?

No, you don't want to piss off D1! and mitchell while awesome is still raw. D2 is going to have to work on his contact rate and come out of this nose dive hes been in. But now with rios in hand i see KW signing Scott to a one year deal as a stop gap to Danks. Our late 2010/2011 core is scary good, obviously not all will make it and some will bust; but in the words of KW we are here to Dream.

DH - Thome (last year of his contract)

C - Flowers

1B - Viciedo

2B - Getz

SS - Ramirez

3B - Beckham

LF - Quentin

CF - Rios

RF - Danks

SP Buehrle

SP Peavy

SP Floyd

SP Danks

SP Hudson

CL Jenks?

SU Thornton

SU Pena

MR Linebrink

MR Nunez

LR Carasco

sick!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 01:26 AM)

That's the biggest thing, and something I would cringe at whenever people would say we'd have money to spend in the FA market. The White Sox don't outbid teams for the big free agents (and you can't blame them). The person most disappointed today has to be Chone's agent.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 07:26 PM)

Let me ask you this, if Rios were a free agent after this season, do you think there is any way he would get a 5 year $60 million deal with a $13.5 million option for a 6th? I really don't think so, but I suppose its possible.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 05:27 PM)
It also allows the Sox to stick Danks in RF if they wanted to and ease him into things too. I can't see the Sox trading any of there young players for high contract guys. If anything I see them making prospect for prospect trades or something along those lines (basically to fit needs).

And Danks is still the only near ready OF prospect the club has.

Eh...I think KW will still make some sort of surprise move this offseason. Usually does no matter what. But its probably a safe bet they hold on to D2, Viciedo, Hudson, and Flowers through the whole offseason at the very least. I don't think Danks winds up with the big league club next year though; his AA numbers just scream "I need more time". He's come back to earth on BABIP and his overall numbers have followed.

In a perfect world, Mitchell will make it to Birmingham next year. Viciedo and Danks would be best served playing a whole year in Charlotte next year. This is assuming, of course, that Danks picks it up again, and doesn’t need to repeat AA. Flowers, however, should be ready to compete for a job come spring training.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 01:30 AM)
In a perfect world, Mitchell will make it to Birmingham next year. Viciedo and Danks would be best served playing a whole year in Charlotte next year. This is assuming, of course, that Danks picks it up again, and doesn't need to repeat AA. Flowers, however, should be ready to compete for a job come spring training.

Flowers absolutely needs to be platooning with AJP next year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 05:29 PM)
Let me ask you this, if Rios were a free agent after this season, do you think there is any way he would get a 5 year $60 million deal with a $13.5 million option for a 6th? I really don't think so, but I suppose its possible.

His deal would probably be a little shorter but I think that's very close to what he'd get yearly.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:30 PM)
In a perfect world, Mitchell will make it to Birmingham next year. Viciedo and Danks would be best served playing a whole year in Charlotte next year. This is assuming, of course, that Danks picks it up again, and doesn’t need to repeat AA. Flowers, however, should be ready to compete for a job come spring training.

This is a reasonable projection for those mentioned, though I think we'll see Flowers as AJ's backup and occasional DH

Anyone catch KW on the MLB network a few minutes ago? One of the hosts said that Sox fans were concerned about the contract. Kenny responded "Why? They're not paying the contract. We didn't raise ticket prices today because of the acquisition".

LOL