White Sox Acquire Alex Rios Off Waivers

DaTank

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 07:32 PM)
Cowley: "Dye just called the move for Rios "shocking." He said he hopes it doesn't mean his end is coming after this season."

Perhaps if Dye could still play in the OF he wouldn't need to be so shocked.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:24 PM)
As I said before, I'm pretty sure this spells the end of Dye on the White Sox after this season. Thome as DH for 2010 with Konerko moving to DH in 2011 while Viciedo takes over 1B. It leaves us with the power lefty for next year PLUS the chance to see him crank out his 600th homer on our team.

Konerko is not under contract in 2011.

Podsednik didn't really want to discuss the Rios move, but did say, "it would be a waste of energy to worry about lineups."

Welp, good thing that's the manager's job and not yours.

Dye, particularly, should not be shocked by this when his own defensive plays recently have prodded exactly this type of move

These guys are professionals, and it'd be fairly selfish of Dye (or anybody else) to get angry over lost PT while there are players like Jim Thome on this team who appreciate the kind of efforts KW is making to put this team in a position to win it all.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:38 PM)
I have loved just about every deal that KW has ever done.

I hate this move.

If the Sox are willing to just spend and spend like this, what is there to dislike about it?

I mean, I hear ya, it brings up worries. But just on its face, without hearing anything about future spending, how can it be a bad thing?

The most we can say, at this point, is it may one day be bad.

I've already predicted his line for us next year.

.299/.352/.512 OPS+ of 124

27 home runs 78 RBI 84 R 23 SB

ZiPS projects him to hit .285 for the rest of the year with a .350 wOBA. We shall see.

Great move by Kenny to get him for nothing.

Before I did some studying on Rios, I thought he was the most overrated player in baseball.

But his career WAR is only 1.3 behind that of Curtis Granderson and both have had 5 years of ML service. It really opened up my eyes a bit.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:39 PM)
These guys are professionals, and it'd be fairly selfish of Dye (or anybody else) to get angry over lost PT while there are players like Jim Thome on this team who appreciate the kind of efforts KW is making to put this team in a position to win it all.

And they are also competitive and want to play.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 04:40 PM)
I've already predicted his line for us next year.

.299/.352/.512 OPS+ of 124

IF he can get that OPS+ back up in to the 120 range, he's back to being an all star and this is a spectacular move. If he can get it back up in to the 110 range, then he's solid and this is a good move. If he's stuck around 95 like he is so far this year, then this move loses some of its luster.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 05:38 PM)
I have loved just about every deal that KW has ever done.

I hate this move.

I have also loved nearly all of KW's moves, except the two Swisher moves.

I love this move. He gets the offseason heavy lifting done before the offseason.

We now have a real CF! I'm lovin' it.