Griffey on playing for the White Sox

caulfield12

I'm paraphrasing from a conversation the M's announcers had with Griffey and their discussion of it during the game...

Griffey: "I had the best experience playing baseball with the White Sox for two months, better than my last 8 or 9 years by far. The only thing that tops it is coming back to finish my career in Seattle again, coming full circle. The White Sox have a great clubhouse, they're very passionate over there and I love(d) playing for Ozzie Guillen. Ozzie and the front office really care about everyone in that clubhouse. Ozzie's basically a "short Lou Piniella," those are the two best managers I've ever played for..."

About the trade last year: "Kenny Williams said there would be three conditions that I had to abide by. One, I couldn't wear my hat backwards or to the side. Two, no earrings. Three, I had to stand at attention for the national anthem."

On the three nicest players he's played with:

1) Thome

2) Mike Sweeney

3) Shawn/Sean/Shaun something....I couldn't quite catch it, perhaps Lowe or Kell(e)y (sp) from the M's pen this year?

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 11:53 PM)
How often did you hear former players say things like this about the Sox back in the '90s? Kenny and Ozzie have turned them into a completely different franchise.

Give JR credit, too. He gets it as an owner.

QUOTE (rockren @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 12:00 AM)
Give JR credit, too. He gets it as an owner.

I was just going to post that.

JR is and has been unconventional at times (hiring Ozzie, and recently VDN, Skiles, etc. even the Phil Jackson hire was out of left field) but you look at his record and it has paid off.

Sometimes JR's loyalty towards players and execs f***s things up like with Wilder, but it has also kept Kenny here to learn and grow as a GM, and it's kept Ozzie here as well when Ozzie would have definitely been canned for some of his comments if he managed in other organizations.

I'll stop praising JR now before you-know-who shows up.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 11:43 PM)
I'm paraphrasing from a conversation the M's announcers had with Griffey and their discussion of it during the game...

Griffey: "I had the best experience playing baseball with the White Sox for two months, better than my last 8 or 9 years by far. The only thing that tops it is coming back to finish my career in Seattle again, coming full circle. The White Sox have a great clubhouse, they're very passionate over there and I love(d) playing for Ozzie Guillen. Ozzie and the front office really care about everyone in that clubhouse. Ozzie's basically a "short Lou Piniella," those are the two best managers I've ever played for..."

About the trade last year: "Kenny Williams said there would be three conditions that I had to abide by. One, I couldn't wear my hat backwards or to the side. Two, no earrings. Three, I had to stand at attention for the national anthem."

On the three nicest players he's played with:

1) Thome

2) Mike Sweeney

3) Shawn/Sean/Shaun something....I couldn't quite catch it, perhaps Lowe or Kell(e)y (sp) from the M's pen this year?

ken-griffey-smiling.jpg

uh, whaaaaa?

I love Griffey. He was one of my favorites growing up (along with Frank), and I'm so glad he got to play for "my" team. I really wish I had bought a Griffey Jr t-shirt jersey when he was playing for us b/c I'd be rocking that all the time.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 01:17 AM)
I love Griffey. He was one of my favorites growing up (along with Frank), and I'm so glad he got to play for "my" team. I really wish I had bought a Griffey Jr t-shirt jersey when he was playing for us b/c I'd be rocking that all the time.

i actually did get one of those, you can probably go to the tshirt store at the cell and they will custom make one for you.

I just wanted to add my love. Griffey was my favorite player growing up, I read everything about him. I like to think him and jim thome will be two players that go to the Hall of Fame that we know for sure did not do anything illegal to there bodies.

QUOTE (joejoedairy @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 01:48 AM)
i actually did get one of those, you can probably go to the tshirt store at the cell and they will custom make one for you.

Good idea, thanks... I never thought about getting one customized.

I know that Griffey really didn't do much of anything as a White Sox, but that to me is all secondary. It was just awesome seeing possibly my favorite player of all time in my team's uniform. When the Sox came to Baltimore I finally got to see him in person, he even doubled off the wall and for a minute I almost got to see his swing and home run stare. That was a good day.