Usain Bolt and Tyson Gay

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 09:49 PM)
Just an awesome event to watch live. They were running into the wind also. Gay with an amazing performance, but Bolt's the greatest sprinter of all time.

Will be interesting to see if he can break the 9.5 second mark. Most impressive part is that Bolt is 4 years younger than Gay, Powell etc. Bolt doesn't turn 23 until 5 days from now.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 02:10 PM)
Am I the only one who thinks "PED's" every time I see a record of any kind being broken in sports now?

It would be the death of athletics if Bolt was found to be using PED's.

And yeah, he'll break 9.50 easy so long as he can stay healthy.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 12:42 AM)
It would be the death of athletics if Bolt was found to be using PED's.

And yeah, he'll break 9.50 easy so long as he can stay healthy.

Eh, Marion Jones was a huge source of excitement for the Sydney Olympics and she turned out to be a cheater too. I think we'd get over it.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 07:36 AM)
Eh, Marion Jones was a huge source of excitement for the Sydney Olympics and she turned out to be a cheater too. I think we'd get over it.

Kinda sad we see a superhuman feat and immediately that's what we think.

I know Gatlin sucked at football, but does anyone think Bolt could play in the NFL? I mean he is 6-5, probably has a huge vertical and can outrun any CB on the field, probably by a few steps. I would just love to see him perform "go" routes and let a QB just bomb it out. I honestly think he could be a solid NFL player, obviously he would have to catch the ball, but I would love to see him try it.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 02:16 PM)
I know Gatlin sucked at football, but does anyone think Bolt could play in the NFL? I mean he is 6-5, probably has a huge vertical and can outrun any CB on the field, probably by a few steps. I would just love to see him perform "go" routes and let a QB just bomb it out. I honestly think he could be a solid NFL player, obviously he would have to catch the ball, but I would love to see him try it.

You need to be able to catch, run routes, and block, all harder to do than it sounds. Speed by itself doesn't mean s***. Those type of guys are a dime a dozen actually.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 01:32 PM)
You need to be able to catch, run routes, and block, all harder to do than it sounds. Speed by itself doesn't mean s***. Those type of guys are a dime a dozen actually.

Airese Curry anyone?

You better not tell that to Al Davis. He might have a heart attack.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 02:54 PM)
Airese Curry anyone?

lol, the legendary Ariese Curry. Apparently he could run like a 1.0 40 yard dash (could run faster if he wanted to, but didn't want to humiliate us) but would get hurt bending over to tie his shoes.

While that's true, Bolt is not a dime a dozen. First, he is as tall as any NFL wide receiver. Second, he has better speed than any wide receiver. Just let him run go routes and if the defense plays deep on him, drop a short pass to him.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 03:37 PM)
While that's true, Bolt is not a dime a dozen. First, he is as tall as any NFL wide receiver. Second, he has better speed than any wide receiver. Just let him run go routes and if the defense plays deep on him, drop a short pass to him.

It's not as easy as it sounds. Not that he can't do it, but that's a lot to learn. Plus he'd have to bulk up, and his acceleration isn't actually anything special either.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 02:45 PM)
It's not as easy as it sounds. Not that he can't do it, but that's a lot to learn. Plus he'd have to bulk up, and his acceleration isn't actually anything special either.

And he would also have to hope that his body could withstand the force of 220-350 men tackling him at full speed. Guys that have played football all of their lives have built up a tolerance to that kind of a beating, you cannot just jump into that kind of situation and think it will all be fine.

It really is a pipe dream