Alexei

knightni

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 02:45 PM)
This is one of the problems with sabermetrics. Based on simply watching him play, it's difficult to argue that Alexei was worse at 2B last season than he is at SS this year.

Yeah I agree with that. There is too much data fluctuation with UZR to rely on it as the holy grail, a 1-point difference in UZR comparing periods of a couple months doesn't really tell you anything. It just happens to be the best of the defensive stats but that isn't saying a whole lot.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (beck72 @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 08:01 AM)
It's way too early for that. No one here really knows what Gordon looks like at SS. Neither do the sox, as he's only played 3b and 2b here and in ST. While he probably doesn't have Alexei's range, he may have the brains and hands to make up for it. Whether Gordon is a Jeter [with whom the Yanks stick with at SS] or a Michael Young [who they move for the betterment of the team], it remains to be seen.

No its not. Scouts have been saying he's a 2B for awhile now and the Sox agreed that he wasnt a SS. His range just isnt good enough for that position, he's a good 3B, and should stay there.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)
Lexi just doesn't seem right at ss in my opinion. Not good enough. Too volatile a player.

Not good enough how? He makes rookie mistakes? Yes, cause he's a rookie at the position. Look at his upside, good range, great arm, great height and reach. He will be a plus SS before the end of next season, there is no doubt in my mind.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 04:01 PM)
Not good enough how? He makes rookie mistakes? Yes, cause he's a rookie at the position. Look at his upside, good range, great arm, great height and reach. He will be a plus SS before the end of next season, there is no doubt in my mind.

Charging a ground ball and turning a DP are things he should have been able to do in Cuba which he is unable to do.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 09:00 PM)
No its not. Scouts have been saying he's a 2B for awhile now and the Sox agreed that he wasnt a SS. His range just isnt good enough for that position, he's a good 3B, and should stay there.

Beckham was moved from SS in order to practice at 3b, because Fields blew. Whether that means he'll never play SS again--that is a huge stretch. He wasn't moved because the sox think he's better at 2b or 3b. The Sox had an opportunity to improve the big league club and took it. It worked out. But it shouldn't rule out a move back to SS.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 04:01 PM)

Konerko has saved him at least 10 errors this year, maybe 15-20 if someone like Frank Thomas defensively was at first. He has upside. I don't understand how they can't get him into a better position for DPs. Its not all on him, but his lollipop throws in the dirt are something he needs to stop. He's good when he's concentrating, which he does during big ABs. I just think he drifts from time to time and a lot more than he did last year. When that happens, Ozzie needs to sit him down.

I never want to deal Alexei but the errors drive me nuts sometimes because they're such easy plays. I am all for giving him time because he still isn't used to the position and everything else. He is cheap, can hit, can run...Lots of positives but he needs to fix his glaring weakness. I see minimal reason to dump him unless...

Watching MLBN last night. There is a handful of players I would deal Alexi for. The most realistic/non-realistic move would be in a monsterous packge for Hanley. I say realistic cuz they'll probably end of moving him regardless of their stance right now and non-realistic because, well, we're talkin about Hanley (and their new stadium and all the other reasons to keep him).

Now my mind often goes off on its own with these kind of thoughts and I began to think about just that. What if they moved Hanley or Uggla for instance. I think an inexpensive Alexei would appeal to them for a lot of reasons, albeit by the time they move those kind of guys Alexei won't be as cheap. So we go a different route.

Anyways, I'm totally babbling but it's no secret they're mlb's minor league club and I would love to get Josh Johnson. I would love to give them Alexei and stuff for Johnson this offseason please and enable them to move an Uggla or Hanley for a large package if they wish. Is there anyway we can push this issue so it becomes an internet sensation and hope they decide to go along with it?

Please guys, for me?

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 11:28 AM)
Watching MLBN last night. There is a handful of players I would deal Alexi for. The most realistic/non-realistic move would be in a monsterous packge for Hanley. I say realistic cuz they'll probably end of moving him regardless of their stance right now and non-realistic because, well, we're talkin about Hanley (and their new stadium and all the other reasons to keep him).

Now my mind often goes off on its own with these kind of thoughts and I began to think about just that. What if they moved Hanley or Uggla for instance. I think an inexpensive Alexei would appeal to them for a lot of reasons, albeit by the time they move those kind of guys Alexei won't be as cheap. So we go a different route.

Anyways, I'm totally babbling but it's no secret they're mlb's minor league club and I would love to get Josh Johnson. I would love to give them Alexei and stuff for Johnson this offseason please and enable them to move an Uggla or Hanley for a large package if they wish. Is there anyway we can push this issue so it becomes an internet sensation and hope they decide to go along with it?

Please guys, for me?

This always comes up. The Marlins are not the same as they were a few years ago. Don't expect them to be giving players away any more. They are really banking on this new stadium on invigorating their fan base and franchise. It's in a better area of town and has a retractable roof, so attendance really should go up. They already made the choice to keep Hanley as their franchise guy when they signed him to an extension and traded Cabrera. The marlins aren't against trading their players, but they have a good track record of winning these deals long term and it would cost a king's ransom for either Hanley or Josh Johnson. Don't fool yourself into believing they are still MLB's minor league club cuz they won't be for at least a few years. If you want a Marlin pitcher, look at Nolasco, Miller, West or Van den Hurk. Johnson and Volstad won't be going anywhere. If you wanted Johnson be prepared to trade Hudson and Flowers along with Ramirez and probably even more.

I told you guys that I did not like Alexei at SS. I laughed at White Sox saying his best position is SS. He played very little SS in Cuba for so many years. He is not 20.

Edited by Cubano