Are the Sox done?

VAfan

Well we all knew that the season was probably going to come down to this upcoming stretch, and if anything, the Sox have probably played better against top teams than they have against your mediocre opposition.

JD and PK really need to start hitting well again though ASAP.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 23, 2009 -> 01:11 AM)
Yeah since we can't beat any good teams from the AL east....wait, right?

We are going to get absolutely pansted in Boston and New York. Some of the series wins we've had against good teams were cute and all, but this is big boy time. Playing good teams on the road with a lot to play for. This team has proven time and time again that they are dogs when they really need wins, so I expect that to continue. I hope this post is laughed at in a week, but I'm not betting on it.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 24, 2009 -> 03:07 AM)
If this turns out totally incorrect; it will be going in my sig area.

Why? Winning 4 of 7 in the northeast would almost certainly keep the Sox in 2nd place, it would be comprehendable, it would keep them close within the division race, and whatever whatever. That wouldn't surprise me.

Winning 2 of 3 against Minnesota in the Dome, for the final time, would give me a f***ing boner. I don't anticipate dudes getting me aroused.

The Yankees have been the best team in baseball for about 2 months now, and Boston has played well at home too, even if that meant losing 2 of 3 against the best team in baseball. They took 3 of 4 at home against the best team in the AL Central, mainly because the Tigers aren't a great team. The Sox really aren't either. I think the Sox are a more talented team, but this team seems to be taking on the traits as if Manuel were managing again.

This roadtrip means a lot. It's best to leave it at that for the time being. I personally don't expect much, but expecting is not receiving.

Edited by witesoxfan

I'm not expecting to be too interested in the playoffs. I would not be shocked if the team went on a tear and caught the Tigers, but I would be surprised. The more likely scenario is the Tigers experiencing a key injury or a terrible slump.

i don't think this stretch breaks the sox (at least the first 10 games of it) primarily because detroit is playing some good competition as well. while we're at boston they are at the angels. while we're in new york they're hosting the rays. they host the indians while we are at the twins which is not good.

my guess is we come out of this 10-game stretch in a pretty similar place, standings-wise. probably between 1.5 and 3.5 out.

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Aug 24, 2009 -> 08:46 AM)
i don't think this stretch breaks the sox (at least the first 10 games of it) primarily because detroit is playing some good competition as well. while we're at boston they are at the angels. while we're in new york they're hosting the rays. they host the indians while we are at the twins which is not good.

my guess is we come out of this 10-game stretch in a pretty similar place, standings-wise. probably between 1.5 and 3.5 out.

Hm, I wasn't aware of that. This definitely changes things, and it sure makes it seem a lot brighter.

Detroit is barely winning games (even though they still count). They have 6 1-run wins this month out of their 12 wins, and only 2 have been by 3 or more runs. We have 10 wins in August, with only 3 1-run wins, but have 5 wins by 3 or more runs.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 24, 2009 -> 02:21 PM)
Hm, I wasn't aware of that. This definitely changes things, and it sure makes it seem a lot brighter.

ultimately i think the division gets decided in that season-ending stretch against divisional teams. that and our six remaining games with the tigres.

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Aug 24, 2009 -> 09:29 AM)
Detroit is barely winning games (even though they still count). They have 6 1-run wins this month out of their 12 wins, and only 2 have been by 3 or more runs. We have 10 wins in August, with only 3 1-run wins, but have 5 wins by 3 or more runs.

I might actually rather be the team that wins the one-run games.

Any team can have a stretch of blowouts, but the better teams win over the course of 162

So far that's DET. Hope it doesnt last obviously.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 24, 2009 -> 09:17 AM)
Keep in mind we do still have six game left against Detroit. We also only have three games left against MN, which are at the end of this road trip. We control our own fate... whether that is good or bad who knows, but we aren't done.

We will more than likely lose the tie-breaker to DET or MIN. Also, I believe Minnesota has the easiest schedule in the AL the rest of the season, so they are not out of the picture yet.

I just hope we play up to our potential, and then everything else will take care of itself.

One problem the Sox have is lack of accountability for terrible play. The BEST message the Sox could send this team would be to cut Jose Contreras tomorrow. Ozzie should also have some extended benching of anyone who is not hitting, including Dye and Konerko if necessary. And for players to make errors? They should ride the bench the next day. I'd also like to see Quentin back in the #3 hole in the lineup, ahead of Thome.

Sox need a serious shake up.

I really think we have the talent to compete. But we've got to cut the mistakes and dial up the intensity. Or we're going to get steamrolled.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Aug 24, 2009 -> 10:22 PM)
One problem the Sox have is lack of accountability for terrible play. The BEST message the Sox could send this team would be to cut Jose Contreras tomorrow. Ozzie should also have some extended benching of anyone who is not hitting, including Dye and Konerko if necessary. And for players to make errors? They should ride the bench the next day. I'd also like to see Quentin back in the #3 hole in the lineup, ahead of Thome.

Sox need a serious shake up.

I really think we have the talent to compete. But we've got to cut the mistakes and dial up the intensity. Or we're going to get steamrolled.

Ohhhh, I could not agree more.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 06:58 AM)
That doesn't sound all that tough to me.

No kidding. Just because we can't beat Cleveland and Minny doesn't mean other teams will have trouble with them. And you consider playing the White Sox a tough part of their schedule? Last I checked we didn't give them much trouble when we played them and we're playing some of our worst ball all year.

At this point I feel that we have about a 15% chance of making the playoffs. The only hope I have left is that Peavy does well when he gets called up and sparks the team like Sabathia did last year or Cliff Lee this year. If he does poorly right off the bat then it's time to think about 2010 and who we're keeping out of our slew of overpaid old timers.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 24, 2009 -> 11:09 PM)
all they need is ONE freaking winning steak.

It'd be nice if this was that time, because I wouldn't mind dishing it out to the Yankees and Red Sox and Cubs and Twins and Tigers.

Seriously, ONE winning streak is keeping us out.

I would agree with you but is there anything this team has shown to make you believe that a winning streak is coming?

Sox need to wake the f*** up and starting playing better basbeall. Can't keep counting on the Tigers opponents to keep beating them.

Tired of seeing us have leads in the ball game and end up blowing, see yesterday and the Royals series.

This is starting to get extremely frustrating, right now I have a hard time seeing us in the playoffs, then again I did last year after Minnesota swept us late in the season.

This team needs to play better, mostly the middle of the lineup, Dye should go back to the five spot and quentin should go to the three spot.