Official 2009-2010 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 9, 2009 -> 12:44 AM)
Pitt is a freaking terrible basketball team. Truly awful. They were up 15-7 on New Hampshire at half time the other night, Duquesne took them into overtime and Wofford (who actually isn't that bad for a low major) only lost by 3 to them. They also got handled easily by Texas which is the only good team they have faced. They were essentially a 3 man team last year with Blair, Young, and Fields and those guys are all gone now and there is no one to replace them.

s***, I figured Pitt had to have talent to replace Blair and Young. Plus, Pitt was favored by 9. I had no idea they were that bad. I'm still 100% in football mode, so I guess I need to get with the program regarding college basketball this year.

You'd think I'd be all about some basketball right now too since Tennessee is in the Top 10, but I'm not there yet. After the Bowl game I will be though. I'm excited about Kansas coming to Knoxville this year. I'm sure we'll lose and Pearl will get out-coached, but it should be a great atmosphere nonetheless.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 10:51 PM)
Quality win tonight for the 5th best team in the state. Vandy is a good team and Illinois really controlled the entire game. Mccamey was great, along with Richardson and Tisadale

Is this Scott Powers? Get out of here with that 5th best nonsense.

That was a very solid Vandy team that was clearly not in the same league as Illinois. The game was really never in doubt (save a 2nd half run to get it down to 7). Illinois was able to get basically any shot it wanted on offense. Still too many lazy passes and careless turnovers, and the defense is just not what fans of Illinois/Weber are used too, but a win is a win. If we can somehow pull out wins against georgia, missouri, and gonzaga, I think the two horrible losses to utah and bradley will be forgotten.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 9, 2009 -> 02:49 PM)

That was a very solid Vandy team that was clearly not in the same league as Illinois. The game was really never in doubt (save a 2nd half run to get it down to 7). Illinois was able to get basically any shot it wanted on offense. Still too many lazy passes and careless turnovers, and the defense is just not what fans of Illinois/Weber are used too, but a win is a win. If we can somehow pull out wins against georgia, missouri, and gonzaga, I think the two horrible losses to utah and bradley will be forgotten.

1. ISU

2. Northwestern

3. SIU

4. Bradley

5. Illinois.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 9, 2009 -> 08:49 AM)

Haha I was mocking the ISU fans with that 5th best comment.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 02:28 AM)
UK/UConn was something else tonight. John Wall showing out in MSG.

Yeah great game. UConn blew it at the end there with a couple of turnovers. They really need a shooter (Majok) to emerge. But wow, the three guards, Wall/Walker/Dyson put on a show.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 01:28 AM)
UK/UConn was something else tonight. John Wall showing out in MSG.

Wall is averaging almost 5 turnovers a game, yet nobody seems to want to acknowledge it in the media.

Strange.

Patrick Patterson should be the one getting the love on the team, I bet he has to be frustrated.

Hitler, er uh, Calipari seems to have won the media over.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 10:32 AM)
Wall is averaging almost 5 turnovers a game, yet nobody seems to want to acknowledge it in the media.

Strange.

Patrick Patterson should be the one getting the love on the team, I bet he has to be frustrated.

Hitler, er uh, Calipari seems to have won the media over.

Well Vitale and Schulman did bring that up several times during the telecast yesterday actually. They mentioned that was the area of the game he needed to work on. That sometimes he needs to try and not do so much and better learn to manage the pace of the game.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 09:36 AM)
Well Vitale and Schulman did bring that up several times during the telecast yesterday actually. They mentioned that was the area of the game he needed to work on. That sometimes he needs to try and not do so much and better learn to manage the pace of the game.

It's pretty crazy the hype he's getting right now. He's all over ESPN's main page after a 25 point, 7 turnovers, 2 assists, 1 rebound game. He plays very well at the end of games, but goodness, 14 turnovers by yourself in two games is absurd.

Where is the hype for Greg Monroe at Georgetown? Monroe is 3 months younger than Wall and is putting up big numbers.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 10:48 AM)
It's pretty crazy the hype he's getting right now. He's all over ESPN's main page after a 25 point, 7 turnovers, 2 assists, 1 rebound game. He plays very well at the end of games, but goodness, 14 turnovers by yourself in two games is absurd.

Where is the hype for Greg Monroe at Georgetown? Monroe is 3 months younger than Wall and is putting up big numbers.

Because he's flashy and plays point guard at Kentucky.

In all seriousness though, I was just awed by him last night. Did he make mistakes? Yes. Did he play recklessly at times? Yes. Too many turnovers? Yes. But he's a freshmen, it's to be expected.

But he was all over Kemba defensively, made a couple great reads to intercept passes, he seems to always be around the ball on the defensive side, is ridiculously explosive, can finish at the net despite contact and traffic, and made a few big contested jump shots at the end of the game. On the winning basket he just blew by the quickest guard in the country not named Kalin Lucas and one of the most athletic players in the nation in Stanley Robinson. There's not a doubt in my mind he could play in the NBA right now and be an impact player. Maybe not on a good NBA team, but on one who wasnt aiming to compete and could just develop him he could IMO.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 09:48 AM)

Wall is having a damn good year so far. Yes, he's turning it over a lot, but he's also averaging 19-4-7 with 3 steals while shooting 56% from the floor. It's quite obvious that Kentucky is far better when he's on the floor, they simply stop scoring when he goes out. He's also the odds on favorite so far to be the #1 pick, so yeah, they're going to start hyping him up so people watch the lottery and draft.

Monroe isn't having nearly as good a year. Yes, he's averaging about 15-11, but he's also averaging 3 turnovers per game himself and is only shooting 45.6% from the floor. Outside of the rebounding, he was actually performing better last year. I'd have chosen someone like Wesley Johnson, Evan Turner or Xavier Henry as an example instead. I would imagine we'll hear an awful lot more about Derrick Favors and Ed Davis as the year goes on as well.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 01:27 PM)
Iowa might be one of the worse major conference teams ever. My goodness do they stink.

You aren't as bad as UCLA, so you can take solace in that :-).

It takes a pretty special f-up to bring UCLA down to the level Howland has. You are the only "superpower" on the entire coast in basketball, and THIS is what you turn it into?

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 01:47 PM)

It takes a pretty special f-up to bring UCLA down to the level Howland has. You are the only "superpower" on the entire coast in basketball, and THIS is what you turn it into?

Sad that people picked Howland as a top 5 coach in the nation also.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 02:59 PM)
Sad that people picked Howland as a top 5 coach in the nation also.

He did go to three straight final fours with UCLA and quickly turned Pitt into a really strong program after they hadn't even been in the tourney for the 7 years prior to Howland arriving.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 03:12 PM)
He did go to three straight final fours with UCLA and quickly turned Pitt into a really strong program after they hadn't even been in the tourney for the 7 years prior to Howland arriving.

He's a very good X's and O's coach, but a poor Jimmy and Joe's coach. Nobody wants to go and play in that garbage 60 points a night basketball.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 09:48 AM)

Wall's upside is just incredible! He was a beast coming in. Roy williiams and others have said he is the best high school point since Jason Kidd. Roy passed mainly because he had handlers and he was a SURE 1 and done. He wanted to be a Tarheel, I think the 1 year would be fine with me seeing him run the show this year, but not sure if anything shady with his handelers. If so I'm glad he did not offer. But, damn, Wall is a special type player!!!

Edited by JuiceCruz16

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Dec 10, 2009 -> 01:47 PM)

UCLA is bad this year, but they cant approach the level of suckiness that is Iowa basketball

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 11, 2009 -> 08:22 AM)
UCLA is bad this year, but they cant approach the level of suckiness that is Iowa basketball

I think it's safe to say UCLA is having a worse season so far. Yes, Iowa lost to UT-SA, but UT-SA is at least 7-2 on the season.

UCLA has lost to Cal St. Fullerton(no offense Jason), Portland, and Long Beach State. Those teams are a whopping 12-10 on the season.