Official 2009-2010 NCAA Basketball Thread

Wow, phantom call much? Even the announcers said it.

All I can do is laugh every time I see Ryan Reid and Luke Loucks on the floor. They both suck. Horribly. They will never amount to anything.

Edited by chimpy2121

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 04:16 AM)
Wow, phantom call much? Even the announcers said it.

All I can do is laugh every time I see Ryan Reid and Luke Loucks on the floor. They both suck. Horribly. They will never amount to anything.

I'll never understand why Hamilton sits Alabi so much.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 10:21 PM)
I'll never understand why Hamilton sits Alabi so much.

Neither will I. You have a dream lineup there too with Gibson. Both of them have range and can hit the 16 footers. However, that makes too much sense I guess. He can recruit, but can't coach to save his life.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 06:25 PM)
Is there any call in sports that refs or officials screw up as often as the charge/block call in college basketball? It is ridiculous how terrible refs are at getting that right.

Agree. A ref actually overruled another ref to call a charge on one I saw tonight where the announcers admitted the defender was moving. It's frustrating.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 10:19 PM)
congrats to the National League.

Sour grapes are fun, but if the ACC is down in basketball and we already know it can't play football, what does it do well? Sorry, I had to take a jab back.

QUOTE (Felix @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 09:28 PM)
Massively disappointing start to the season for the Gophers. The offense has been awful, and our young guys haven't progressed nearly as much as expected. This year could be a lot longer than previously expected.

What is the latest on Royce White?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 12:07 AM)
Sour grapes are fun, but if the ACC is down in basketball and we already know it can't play football, what does it do well? Sorry, I had to take a jab back.

Hey, we got baseball and women's soccer. :P

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 11:18 PM)
What is the latest on Royce White?

He pleaded guilty today for his theft and assault case, and he'll be cleared if he stays out of trouble for the next year. No timeline for when he'll be back with the team, but I'm hoping he'll at least be back for part of Big 10 play.

Edited by Felix

Awesome comeback for the Illini, what a roller coaster of highs/lows towards the team the last week. From 4-0 & ranked, to the two bad losses in Vegas to the god awful first half last night, now all of a sudden, theres a new found confidence in them.

I know McCamey wasnt in there, but Weber has to teach them a lot about the press break, cause if they had that much trouble vs Clemson, Mizzou is gonna destroy them with their style of play. Stop letting Tisdale bring the ball up, dont pick up your dribble alone by the back baseline, and please no more 10 second violations. I agree Jeff Jordan is bad at basketball. He's an offensive liabaility, he can sometimes keep a defender with the ball in front of him, but thats about it. I dont know what Alex Legion's deal is, but it would be nice if he could live up to 25% of his recruiting hype.

Overall, great job by the juniors & 2 freshman to take control of the game and will us to victory. Hope they can start putting it all together and playing full 40 minute games like that, not turning it off for long stretches of time. I gotta feeling that Brandon Paul is not gonna be at Illinois for 4 years.

Way to go Big Ten, its about damn time!

Edited by LittleHurt05

This game reminded me a lot of the IU-UI game in 2004 when Dee and Deron were sophomores. No one bought into playing Weber’s scrappy, tough, man to man defense until it brought them back from a game they should have lost. Hopefully the same realization happened last night. No doubt Clemson choked, but Illinois simply out played them for the last 18 minutes. I think the most impressive thing was that they came back from 23 points (pretty damn quickly), but then had another 5 minutes of a really tough back to back game and still pulled out the W.

Jeff Jordan is awful. I don't see a "great" defender (average at best), I don't see a good ball handler (3-4 turnovers last night were on him and he picks up his dribble every freakin time); i see an athlete that occasional gets a good rebound. Apparently Legion just refuses to play any defense, or he's horrible at dribbling, because I'm confident Weber sees that Jordan is a liability out there. But he's stuck with him until Legion shows he's a better option. Maybe now we know why Kentucky didn't really care that he wanted to leave?

Also, I think Bill Cole might become one of those Roger Powell style glue guys this year and next year. I'm really impressed with his defense. He's just a lengthy guy that messes up the offensive rhythm on the other team.

Great win. Now we gotta take care of Gonzaga, Missouri, Vandy, etc and we'll have a pretty solid tourney resume.

Edit: Oh, and Bo Ryan is the s***. In every other sport but college bb I hate opposing coaches. But I love the way he always has his team ready to play. I consider Wisconsin and Michigan State to be Illinois' biggest rivals, especially recently, and I'm a huge fan of both Ryan and Izzo. Can't really say that about any other sport.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 10:31 PM)
KU wins by 50 something, including a 36-0 run at one point.

Xavier a.k.a. future player of NCAA tourney with 18. He is just amazing!

KU goes to UCLA on Sunday to kick some Bruin ass.

Can you at least say they won by 50 something against Alcorn State? I mean, really? I know you went there and are a big fan, but winning by 50 against Alcorn vs. winning by 50 against a Big 12 or quality opponent are two ENTIRELY different things.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 10:29 PM)
Throwing cabbages at you, ISU sucks we all know this. Did you just play ring around the perimeter shooting 3's again.

We do lead the nation in 3 pt percentage, but I want to say we shot like 14 of them. UNI took it to Brackins and Gilstrap and dominated.

I thought McDermott was supposed to be an awesome big man coach?

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 01:00 PM)
We do lead the nation in 3 pt percentage, but I want to say we shot like 14 of them. UNI took it to Brackins and Gilstrap and dominated.

I thought McDermott was supposed to be an awesome big man coach?

Northern Iowa is not a bad team. I just love seeing the MVC winning these non-conference games, but they'll still only get 1 bid for the tournament.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Dec 3, 2009 -> 01:39 PM)
Northern Iowa is not a bad team. I just love seeing the MVC winning these non-conference games, but they'll still only get 1 bid for the tournament.

We should never be worse than UNI and should never lose to them at home.