8/29 Thread - Sox vs Yankees - 12:05pm CDT on WGN

knightni

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 03:40 PM)
Just read this.. Crede might retire:

According to Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune, Twins third baseman Joe Crede might opt to retire after this season.

Crede has dealt with back issues for years and was placed on the disabled list Friday night after an epidural failed to relieve his ongoing lower back discomfort. At the young age of 31, it'd be a tragedy to see him go, but he's a free agent in the fall and obviously has the right to end his career on his own terms. Crede is a .254/.304/.444 career hitter. He won a Silver Slugger award in 2006 and was named an All-Star for the first time in 2008.

He lasted longer this season than I thought he would. Too bad for Joe. If there remains anyone convinced that cutting ties with Crede was the wrong thing to do, well there you have it.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 01:43 PM)
Well one poster who thought he was our best option today also thinks or at least thought Jose is our best pitcher. I'm guessing that's based on "stuff" and 2005ness.

Jose was their best option today. Not based on stuff or "2005nes" (whatever the hell that means). Who did you want, Carlos Torres? The minor leaguer who walks a ton of batters? Yeah, he would have won the game today against the Yankees in NY. Give me a break. Or would you have rushed Hudson up and threw him to the dogs in NY today? The guy who has struggled somewhat throwing an excess of pitches in his firt couple of AAA games? Smart.

And to call up either one of those guys to pitch the Sox would have had to cut or DL someone. Who would you have cut? Lillibridge? Then they have no backup infielder. I know, you'd cut Contreras, right? That's the kind of classy thing a guy like you would do, I'll bet.

Carrasco has excelled in the role he's been in, no need to mess up one of the two solid spots in the rotation just to spite Jose Contreras.

And yes, there was a time when Contreras was the best pitcher on the Sox.

Jose is a good man, was a great pitcher for the Sox for a period of time and led the Sox to a World Series Championship. He made a miraculous comeback from a potentially career ending injury and had some good games earlier this season for the Sox. To me, you don't kick a guy like that to the curb in late August, just to bring up a minor league pitcher who is likely to lose anyway.

If Peavy was ready, Jose would have been out of the rotation and relegated to the bullpen. But since Peavy couldn't go, Jose was the best option to start today. Even in hindsight after the results of this game, he still was the best option. I expected the Sox to lose this game, although I did hold out some hope that Jose could have pitched one of his gems. He didn't pitch well. Big deal. I'm not a sore loser.

Now I'm going to enjoy the rest of the day while you can brood about Jose Contreras ruining your life. :lolhitting

hahahahahahah.

hahahahahahahhaah

so glad i didn't get to watch this stupid ass team "play baseball." what a bunch of f***ing scrubs, every single one of them. absolutely EMBARASSING to be a Sox fan right now. get rid of everyone (except beckham). good riddance.

QUOTE (soxbsbllvr @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 02:18 PM)
Yep, sucky game to watch. yet no one has anwered my question- who do you bring up 9/1 at this point

Fields (Beckham needs some time off), Wise (we're nothing without a starting CF), Flowers (legit catcher of future has earned promotion), and probably a couple of the relief pitchers (Link, Nunez). I wouldn't be angry if we tried giving Torres another start or two this season if he can convince the coaches he deserves it.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 03:45 PM)
Jose was their best option today. Not based on stuff or "2005nes" (whatever the hell that means). Who did you want, Carlos Torres? The minor leaguer who walks a ton of batters? Yeah, he would have won the game today against the Yankees in NY. Give me a break. Or would you have rushed Hudson up and threw him to the dogs in NY today? The guy who has struggled somewhat throwing an excess of pitches in his firt couple of AAA games? Smart.

And to call up either one of those guys to pitch the Sox would have had to cut or DL someone. Who would you have cut? Lillibridge? Then they have no backup infielder. I know, you'd cut Contreras, right? That's the kind of classy thing a guy like you would do, I'll bet.

Carrasco has excelled in the role he's been in, no need to mess up one of the two solid spots in the rotation just to spite Jose Contreras.

And yes, there was a time when Contreras was the best pitcher on the Sox.

Jose is a good man, was a great pitcher for the Sox for a period of time and led the Sox to a World Series Championship. He made a miraculous comeback from a potentially career ending injury and had some good games earlier this season for the Sox. To me, you don't kick a guy like that to the curb in late August, just to bring up a minor league pitcher who is likely to lose anyway.

If Peavy was ready, Jose would have been out of the rotation and relegated to the bullpen. But since Peavy couldn't go, Jose was the best option to start today. Even in hindsight after the results of this game, he still was the best option. I expected the Sox to lose this game, although I did hold out some hope that Jose could have pitched one of his gems. He didn't pitch well. Big deal. I'm not a sore loser.

Now I'm going to enjoy the rest of the day while you can brood about Jose Contreras ruining your life. :lolhitting

Whoa. I almost want to stop reading right there. Having Carrasco start wouldn't be to spite Contreras, it would be to give the Chicago White Sox a better opportunity to win a baseball game.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 05:28 PM)
Having Carrasco start wouldn't be to spite Contreras, it would be to give the Chicago White Sox a better opportunity to win a baseball game.

If you were making the decision, yes. But for the other poster, I'm not so sure.

Still, as I said, Carrasco has been invaluable in the role he's been filling, and I don't think starting him would have given them a better shot at winning seeing as how he would probably only give them three innings anyway and then they'd have to burn an already taxed bullpen. It's arguable either way.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 11:01 PM)
Fields (Beckham needs some time off), Wise (we're nothing without a starting CF), Flowers (legit catcher of future has earned promotion), and probably a couple of the relief pitchers (Link, Nunez). I wouldn't be angry if we tried giving Torres another start or two this season if he can convince the coaches he deserves it.

Do you think we might see Viciedo for 3B though? After all he is paid a lot of money to sign with us. Anyway, I am almost (not quite thouhg) ready to write this team off. I have hung in there for quite awhile but reality hits you hard. If we lose tomorow and then the Twins series I guess we are probably done. Today was about as bad as it gets

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 05:41 PM)
Do you think we might see Viciedo for 3B though? After all he is paid a lot of money to sign with us. Anyway, I am almost (not quite thouhg) ready to write this team off. I have hung in there for quite awhile but reality hits you hard. If we lose tomorow and then the Twins series I guess we are probably done. Today was about as bad as it gets

Viciedo is flat out not ready yet.