FIRE OZZIE

shago

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 05:36 PM)
Yep, it'll say, "If you struggle down the stretch, we'll throw you under the bus." That's a message that will endear every prospective free agent to the White Sox.

DFAing players out of spite at the end of August (with no tangible benefit to your organization) may sooth your anger and make you feel like a tough guy, but it's a really stupid way to run a baseball team.

In your opinion, yes. In my opinion, no.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 03:38 PM)

And in Ozzie and Kenny's opinion, yes. They realize that DFAing a veteran for the sake of "sending a message" is counter-productive to building a winning franchise.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 04:38 PM)

Honestly, is that how you manage the people you preside over? When they fail do you get angry and can them?

I was just as frustrated with this team as you apparently are, but DFAing Contreras and Linebrink does absolutely nothing good for us right now. The rosters expand Tuesday. They can sit on our big league club and attempt to work out their problems behind the scenes instead of for some other team (Mike MacDougal, David Aardsma, etc).

I highly doubt it will matter in the end, but who knows - maybe this team has a run left in them - and if so, we're going to need everyone to get their s*** together and get on a roll. So DFAing will have to wait until the offseason.

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 05:02 PM)
we all love Ozzie and his past, but he's not a good manager... why is it unbearable to have a debate? Isn't that the point of 'PHT'?

Sure, debate is fine, and yes, that's one great thing about a message board like PHT. However, this week, every new thread is "Player X sucks" or "Fire Person Y." Clearly the team is really struggling right now, and the overreaction is getting unbearable.

If Ozzie goes, KW should as well.

We have some bad baseball players on this team and his acquisitions have not helped much.

They wanted Peavy to matter THIS YEAR. As it turns out we could have used Clayton and Poreda THIS YEAR considering the stiffs KW filled our bullpen with.

KW is to blame, not just Ozzie.

This is brutal. Honestly I don't blame Ozzie. Errors and pitchers giving up walk-off dingers isn't his fault. He can't play FOR them.

What's frustrating is this team has the talent; what they don't have is any kind of consistency. And that's killing us.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 07:39 PM)
Honestly, is that how you manage the people you preside over? When they fail do you get angry and can them?

I was just as frustrated with this team as you apparently are, but DFAing Contreras and Linebrink does absolutely nothing good for us right now. The rosters expand Tuesday. They can sit on our big league club and attempt to work out their problems behind the scenes instead of for some other team (Mike MacDougal, David Aardsma, etc).

I highly doubt it will matter in the end, but who knows - maybe this team has a run left in them - and if so, we're going to need everyone to get their s*** together and get on a roll. So DFAing will have to wait until the offseason.

Clearly we can't DFA Linebrink. He's signed for too long. Either put him in only for garbage time, or send him to the minors to figure stuff out.

And as it has been stated repeatedly, there's a huge difference between managing a baseball franchise and business. I assume some of you think I just go around firing people or screaming at them for the slightest mistake. That's not true at all. I almost never get upset about anything but the Sox. But, sometimes people need to be fired for not doing their job. I let somebody go earlier this week because she would never do her job. I'd have to physically sit her down and tell her what to do and when I walked away, she's stop working within five minutes and begin texting or daydreaming. When it became obvious that it was a constantly recurring problem, I told her to pack up and get out immediately after she had been warned repeatedly.

Constantly screwing up and/or not doing your job = fired. This describes both the girl and Jose Contreras.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 07:52 PM)
Clearly we can't DFA Linebrink. He's signed for too long. Either put him in only for garbage time, or send him to the minors to figure stuff out.

And as it has been stated repeatedly, there's a huge difference between managing a baseball franchise and business. I assume some of you think I just go around firing people or screaming at them for the slightest mistake. That's not true at all. I almost never get upset about anything but the Sox. But, sometimes people need to be fired for not doing their job. I let somebody go earlier this week because she would never do her job. I'd have to physically sit her down and tell her what to do and when I walked away, she's stop working within five minutes and begin texting or daydreaming. When it became obvious that it was a constantly recurring problem, I told her to pack up and get out immediately after she had been warned repeatedly.

Constantly screwing up and/or not doing your job = fired. This describes both the girl and Jose Contreras.

Wow, what a horrible analogy.

Let's first consider the fact that you're not paying the girl after you fire her. The Sox would still be paying Contreras for September if they let him go. And with the rosters expanding, demoting Contreras to the pen for mop-up duty makes quite a bit of sense. So DFAing these two would do nothing positive for the Sox. These people that supposedly work for you don't sound like highly-skilled workers, meaning that they can be easily replaced. With Peavy experiencing elbow problems, Richard and Poreda in SD, and Hudson not ready for prime time, Jose is not easily replaceable right now.

In addition, this girl that you supposedly fired was obviously lazy and not putting in a good-faith effort to earn her paycheck. The same cannot be said about guys like Contreras and JD. Say what you want about those two, but they're proven professionals. If you treat those two types of workers in the same way, you're a pretty crappy manager.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 10:08 PM)
Wow, what a horrible analogy.

Let's first consider the fact that you're not paying the girl after you fire her. The Sox would still be paying Contreras for September if they let him go. And with the rosters expanding, demoting Contreras to the pen for mop-up duty makes quite a bit of sense. So DFAing these two would do nothing positive for the Sox. These people that supposedly work for you don't sound like highly-skilled workers, meaning that they can be easily replaced. With Peavy experiencing elbow problems, Richard and Poreda in SD, and Hudson not ready for prime time, Jose is not easily replaceable right now.

In addition, this girl that you supposedly fired was obviously lazy and not putting in a good-faith effort to earn her paycheck. The same cannot be said about guys like Contreras and JD. Say what you want about those two, but they're proven professionals. If you treat those two types of workers in the same way, you're a pretty crappy manager.

Wow, a lot of hostility in that post. I'll just let it be and state what I believe again.

If you do poorly at your job, no matter if it's for lack of effort or just the necessary skills to accomplish it, you lose that job. And demonstrating to the other employees that they have to perform their duties correctly or else their job is on the line is just an added bonus.

I suppose you do not agree with this method. That is your choice. Either way, I'll continue to do my job which I supposedly have when I return to said supposed job on Monday. Now, if you don't mind, I suppose I'll return to watching Serpico on my nice night off from going out.

Supposedly.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 08:14 PM)
If you do poorly at your job, no matter if it's for lack of effort or just the necessary skills to accomplish it, you lose that job. And demonstrating to the other employees that they have to perform their duties correctly or else their job is on the line is just an added bonus.

Jose already lost his job. He's been demoted to the bullpen. But apparently humiliating him by DFAing him with just one month left on his three-year deal is a better option because it'll save the Sox money. Oh wait, it won't. Ummm... because it'll create more roster space. Oh, no, that won't matter either, with the rosters expanding on Tuesday. Oh, I know, it'll allow the Sox to placate the angry and sadistic members of its fan base! Yeah, that sounds like a winning formula.

Contrary to what you believe, the world doesn't revolve around the bottom line. Concepts such as effort, past performance, seniority, and class all play a role in the way that employees are evaluated and handled. Now that in no way means that Jose shouldn't suffer any negative consequences for pitching poorly. But he's already been demoted the bullpen. And with the rosters opening up in just two days, he won't be squeezing a more deserving player out of a roster spot. So there's no tangible benefit to kicking him off the team at this point.

I'm sure that you'll be really disappointed when Jose is still employed by the Sox at this time next month. But if it makes you feel better, you can head over to his house and kick his dog around for a while.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 11:03 PM)
Jose already lost his job. He's been demoted to the bullpen. But apparently humiliating him by DFAing him with just one month left on his three-year deal is a better option because it'll save the Sox money. Oh wait, it won't. Ummm... because it'll create more roster space. Oh, no, that won't matter either, with the rosters expanding on Tuesday. Oh, I know, it'll allow the Sox to placate the angry and sadistic members of its fan base! Yeah, that sounds like a winning formula.

Contrary to what you believe, the world doesn't revolve around the bottom line. Concepts such as effort, past performance, seniority, and class all play a role in the way that employees are evaluated and handled. Now that in no way means that Jose shouldn't suffer any negative consequences for pitching poorly. But he's already been demoted the bullpen. And with the rosters opening up in just two days, he won't be squeezing a more deserving player out of a roster spot. So there's no tangible benefit to kicking him off the team at this point.

I'm sure that you'll be really disappointed when Jose is still employed by the Sox at this time next month. But if it makes you feel better, you can head over to his house and kick his dog around for a while.

He was demoted to the bullpen only to be raised back to being a starter again, all before he threw a single pitch in relief.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 11:03 PM)

Wow, nothing like going over the edge with a post. I think you are taking your "respect for a veteran" to the extreme.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 29, 2009 -> 10:14 PM)
Wow, a lot of hostility in that post. I'll just let it be and state what I believe again.

I suppose you do not agree with this method. That is your choice. Either way, I'll continue to do my job which I supposedly have when I return to said supposed job on Monday. Now, if you don't mind, I suppose I'll return to watching Serpico on my nice night off from going out.

Supposedly.

Serpico. My (great) uncle's in that. :)

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 12:11 AM)
Ozzie is not to blame here. This team is just mediocre regardless of what Kenny Williams thinks.

Kenny put together a solid team. I agree 100% with him in saying that this team is one of the best we've had in recent years. It's just not translating from paper to the field.

I'm not sure if that is on Ozzie or the players. My guy tells me if you can't gel with Ozzie as your manager, you ain't never going to.

Ozzie's decision making is terrible, easiest thing that comes to mind is leaving in Linebrink against the Cubs at Wrigley this year. Undefendable.

But I like his spirit and the fact he is the boss. We just need to get a good bench coach next to him that can make his decisions for him LOL