Thome, $ to LAD for Fuller-Jose to COL for $, Hynick

JDsDirtySox

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this kid. I love this move. "He's a thinking man's player," Weinstein said. "A pitcher such as Greg Maddux comes to mind. You can tell the kind of pitcher he is by virtue of his statistics, but his strong suit is the mental side of pitching."

Weinstein sees Hynick studying the hitters.

"He has a handle on the hitters he's facing before the game starts," Weinstein said. "He's not a spectator in between starts. He keeps notes so he's not trying to feel out the hitters in the early innings. He's not a strikeout pitcher per se, but he throws strikes."

Hynick's command has earned him 51 strikeouts and just seven walks.

"I have a plan for each hitter," Hynick said. "I take into consideration what pitches seem to be my strength on that day."

Hynick learned the importance of run support from his college experience. He played outfield and first base when he wasn't on the mound and was one of the team's better hitters.

Even when he pitched, he hit in the third or fourth spot in the lineup.

"I didn't hit very well when I was on the mound," Hynick said. "I didn't get a lot of run support in some of my games, but I had no one to blame but myself."

http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_6047882

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 11:38 PM)
The Sox are kicking in salary relief for Thome also, and received a terribly non-prospect. How does that make any sense from any angle?

I think some is to free up a spot for Flowers or see how Q, Dye or PK handle a full time DH role. Also, as others pointed out, Thome is a class guy and the White Sox are giving him a chance

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 09:38 PM)
I could see AJ doing some DH'ing and Flowers getting to know the staff a little in September

I agree. JD would be another who should get reps at DH. Quentin should be shut down to get that surgery on his foot.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 11:40 PM)
The fact that we agreed to trade Thome for that guy (which is basically, next to nothing) and trade him to a contender tells me that Thome is going to retire after this season. I'm pleasantly surprised at what we got for Count.

Big Jim wants 600...I see him going somewhere in the AL next yr...hell why not the Yankees!!!

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 11:44 PM)
Hynick had a 1.039 OPS in Colorado Springs. Maybe he can replace Thome. :P

Kid can hit for sure too. He'd put Micah Owings to shame.. :lol:

He usually doesn't walk alot of guys either (for some reason he has this year) but he has a ++ changeup, though he ain't overpowering. A smart pitcher.. can definitely get by.

Edited by SoxAce

Was it safe too assume that due to the climate of the economy we would've elected not to offer Thome arbitration?

I believe Thome is Type-A status and I am a little surprised we dealt that luxury away unless we just realy are that classy of an organization where we felt he was owed a chance - at the expense of draft picks for us since I do not believe Mr. Fuller was a first round or even 5th round talent.

Just curious if that was what was going on there? I'd assume the Dodgers will offer him arbitration because it's gotta be a 0% chance he'd accept it if he wants to play full-time next season.

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 11:46 PM)
Was it safe too assume that due to the climate of the economy we would've elected not to offer Thome arbitration?

I believe Thome is Type-A status and I am a little surprised we dealt that luxury away unless we just realy are that classy of an organization where we felt he was owed a chance - at the expense of draft picks for us since I do not believe Mr. Fuller was a first round or even 5th round talent.

Just curious if that was what was going on there? I'd assume the Dodgers will offer him arbitration because it's gotta be a 0% chance he'd accept it if he wants to play full-time next season.

Thome made $13M this year meaning he'd get about that in arbitration if he were to accept. Jim Thome is not worth $13M at the point in his career, to this team in this economy. They wouldn't even have thought about offering him arb.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 11:37 PM)
I don't think that his nationality had anything to do with it. If the Sox DFA'd a veteran American or Canadian player at the end of August, they'd look equally bad.

No doubt we'd look bad regardless but it is tough to argue that we have a good perception from Cuban ballplayers and a good relationship with one of the biggest agents who represents those players.

Having done something to Contreras would've harmed that relationship I feel and wouldnt have been worth the risk. With so many American ballplayers - we'd have looked bad but I don't see it as hurtful.

Just my two cents. We can agree to disagree.