How did you find your job?

Jimbo's Drinker

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 11:37 PM)
Having been there, I feel both your pain.

And then there's Soxy, who seemed to cruise through to nearly getting her Piled Higher and Deeper in what seemed like six months or something.

Just goes to show you we all shoulda gone to a soft science like Psychology.

:D

If Psych is a "soft" science, I can't imagine what my field (Strategy/Entrepreneurship) is... (there's a joke to be made here that I'm too tired to come up with). My wife is a biologist, and she still says what I'm doing isn't a "real" PhD or "real" science, lol! Darn stuck up biologists! :D

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 11:53 PM)
If Psych is a "soft" science, I can't imagine what my field (Strategy/Entrepreneurship) is... (there's a joke to be made here that I'm too tired to come up with). My wife is a biologist, and she still says what I'm doing isn't a "real" PhD or "real" science, lol! Darn stuck up biologists! :D

I mostly just say stuff like that to make Soxy mad and make the veins in her forehead throb. See? I'm conducting a Psych experiment! Really, how hard is that?!?

[/ducks for cover]

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 10, 2009 -> 10:59 PM)
I mostly just say stuff like that to make Soxy mad and make the veins in her forehead throb. See? I'm conducting a Psych experiment! Really, how hard is that?!?

[/ducks for cover]

If ever there's going to be a cyber ass kicking, we're about to witness it when Soxy logs back in.

Bump.

So its internship looking season once again, and as a sophomore the pickings are slim to none. Any suggestions in terms of getting them? I had one last summer through a connection and even though the experience was great it seems to change little when it comes to recruiters.

Im looking into IT/Management and worked in an IT dept. last summer.

Thanks for any tips!

I wrote a letter to Brooks Boyer yesterday to set up an information interview with him, and I sent it out this morning. I want to see what kind of degree, internships and credentials I need to get a job in the sports industry. And if I don't end up in the sports industry but rather doing HR or something for a company, at least I tried pursuing what I enjoy, sports/writing/business material. St. Ambrose University is likely going to be the selection of my school because that has all of what I'm looking for. They'll let me write the material for the sports information department, I can get that business or PR degree and they have internships with sports organizations in the quad cities. Should work out pretty well.

Edited by The Beast

QUOTE (The Beast @ Sep 18, 2009 -> 05:10 PM)
I wrote a letter to Brooks Boyer yesterday to set up an information interview with him, and I sent it out this morning. I want to see what kind of degree, internships and credentials I need to get a job in the sports industry. And if I don't end up in the sports industry but rather doing HR or something for a company, at least I tried pursuing what I enjoy, sports/writing/business material. St. Ambrose University is likely going to be the selection of my school because that has all of what I'm looking for. They'll let me write the material for the sports information department, I can get that business or PR degree and they have internships with sports organizations in the quad cities. Should work out pretty well.

Good luck!

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Sep 21, 2009 -> 03:37 PM)
Good luck!

Also, it is possible that they'll let me run cross country there, which will put my marathon training to good use. Two more weeks till 26.2 miles. And I'm running with peroneal tendonitis.

No response from Mr. Boyer yet, but I feel good about the letter I wrote. Even if I don't get a response, at least I sent it.

Edited by The Beast

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Sep 29, 2009 -> 03:42 PM)
I sent him an email and he responded to me. Took a while, but he did.

a few years back Leonard Zelig asked me to send him some pocket schedules because he he doesnt live in Chicago. I emailed some random chicago white sox email address I found and he ended up getting the email, and sent me a bunch of schedules and stickers and all kinds of stuff.

QUOTE (SnB @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 11:30 AM)
I'll be on the other end of a career fair table on friday up at depaul. I'm intersted to see how these things go when you're the employer.

I wonder if recruiters care where you went to school, what your GPA is and what you majored in. Just from a recruiter's standpoint, not a student's standpoint.

This note came from Brooks Boyer. I took a shot and emailed him about jobs. He forwarded my info on to the HR person, and two others whom I would work with/for. I thanked him and told him that I was shocked he wrote me back considering it was the middle of the season, he's busy, etc. etc. This is what he wrote and why I will always be a White Sox fan and a Brooks Boyer fan:

No problem Matt. Never hurts to meet new people that could be a fit at some point.

Take care,

Brooks

I've gotten some calls, but it's weird because when I went online to apply for more, it's gotten dead around here for the last week or so as far as new postings.

I won't have internet for a few days, so hopefully when I get back there's a lot new.