2016 Olympics

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because in the past American's watched the Beijing Olympics does not mean that 2 Olympics from now Americans will stop watching.

Prior to Beijing the US had the Atlanta and Utah games, there wasnt as much belief that the US deserved the games, and there wasnt a blatant screw job by the IOC.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 12:02 PM)
Two really good posts. Chicago losing in the first round totally kills my interest in the Olympics. I hope Rio gets it and looks like s*** in the process. Yeah, I am bitter right now, but there is no good reason for Chicago's bid to be lesser than Madrid and Tokyo. F the IOC. They are a bunch of corrupt old men.

I think it sucks that Madrid lasted longer than the US in the voting consideration. But, the US does get a lot of games. The US had the Olympics in 80, 84, 96, and 02. They were even awarded the Winter games in 76 but then Denver gave up the bid in 1972.

Canada got the games in 76, 88 and 10.

North America has received games for 1/3 of the Olympic games over a forty year period, as a part of the globe, we've had a greater opportunity to host than most. It really is South America's turn and I hope Rio gets it. As cool as it would have been to have a Chicago games.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 11:12 AM)
I think it sucks that Madrid lasted longer than the US in the voting consideration. But, the US does get a lot of games. The US had the Olympics in 80, 84, 96, and 02. They were even awarded the Winter games in 76 but then Denver gave up the bid in 1972.

Canada got the games in 76, 88 and 10.

North America has received games for 1/3 of the Olympic games over a forty year period, as a part of the globe, we've had a greater opportunity to host than most. It really is South America's turn and I hope Rio gets it. As cool as it would have been to have a Chicago games.

Here is the arrogant American in me... We also fund a lot of the games. The IOC doesn't exist if it isn't for all of those Americans they now seem to hate.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 11:09 AM)
Just because in the past American's watched the Beijing Olympics does not mean that 2 Olympics from now Americans will stop watching.

Prior to Beijing the US had the Atlanta and Utah games, there wasnt as much belief that the US deserved the games, and there wasnt a blatant screw job by the IOC.

What's your point? Are you seriously suggesting that the Bejing Olympics were the only foreign games where ratings were high? Olympics, Super Bowls and Academy Awards have always been the holy trinity of ratings, regardless of site, teams, or films. People have and always will tune in.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 09:16 AM)
What's your point? Are you seriously suggesting that the Bejing Olympics were the only foreign games where ratings were high? Olympics, Super Bowls and Academy Awards have always been the holy trinity of ratings, regardless of site, teams, or films. People have and always will tune in.

Super Bowls and Academy Awards always have their international "Ratings" massively over-inflated.

No Im suggesting that if the IOC treats US bids like dirt, why should the US care anymore?

I dont mind losing, I mind that Chicago should have been at worst 3rd and didnt even get that far.

What legitimate argument can be made for giving Europe the Summer games in 2016, when they will be held in England in 2012?

Chuck Todd just said as stated earlier, Chicago political ties in Chicago that are connected with White House (Daley, R Emanuel, I'm looking at you) basically cornered Obama into going and Obama didn't really want to. He stated he thought it would be overkill and Chicago was being too over the top with the situation and they were twisting his arm. Todd ended up saying, If Chicago needs another favor from the White House or the president, they probably should hold off on asking because the president wasn't too happy on going in the first place.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 11:20 AM)
Super Bowls and Academy Awards always have their international "Ratings" massively over-inflated.

That's not the point. The Olympics have always been ratings bonanzas. That's why the rights fees are always astronomical, and sponsors fall all over themselves to be the "official" this or that. Americans don't stop loving sports or rooting for their country just because their team is playing "on the road." The money isn't going to go away just because the U.S. team plays on the road.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 11:24 AM)
Chuck Todd just said as stated earlier, Chicago political ties in Chicago that are connected with White House (Daley, R Emanuel, I'm looking at you) basically cornered Obama into going and Obama didn't really want to. He stated he thought it would be overkill and Chicago was being too over the top with the situation and they were twisting his arm. Todd ended up saying, If Chicago needs another favor from the White House or the president, they probably should hold off on asking because the president wasn't too happy on going in the first place.

Why would Obama not want to go? I'd like to hear that reasoning.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 12:24 PM)

Bulls***, the President answers to know one. If Chicago really was pushing the issue they could have talked to Rahm about it. Obama wanted this, he fought for it, in the end, he failed for it.

This is from a reader at TPM:

Id prefer to not have my name published if you post any of this, but I wanted to give you some inside perspective on the Olympic planning as I had the privilege to work and help with some of the architecture and planning proposal for Chicago's Bid.

Mainly, this is just an email to say that regardless of the headline on Drudge, and your comment that the IOC might not enjoy being "big-footed" by Obama, that is not the case. In fact, it was probably helpful, even though we were voted out in the first round. Almost every other country has their leader making personal appearances in support of major international architecture and planning endeavors, but the American president. There have been a number of projects, New Mariinsky Theater in St Petersberg, Russia (for example), where all the finalists, were supported by the leader of their country in having a call placed to the committee, however, the US architect/planner never receives that level of support or interest from the President. So it can only be refreshing to have the President support its country in these types of selections.

A few months ago, (getting back to the Olympic selection) it was made clear to us that Chicago was going to have some difficulty in gaining the selection for a number of reasons including that we have had a large percentage of games hosted here, but most importantly, that we do not have the best international reputation at this time, and it well known that it is a frustrating and difficult process compared to the other host countries for travelers to gain admittance into the US. There was not a lot that could be done with our planning about this, but it was still brought up as an unofficial "official" concern of the IOC. I think Obama's visit was prob in some effort to help remove this concern from the selection committee. I would say from knowledge of work on this bid, as well as having produced work to assist with London's planning effort for Foreign Office Architects in London (before starting my own practice in Chicago) that there was little chance that the decision would be able to be changed this late in the game, and that at this point (the last week), most of the IOC already knows their rankings, and are just discussing the top two. So, again, regardless of Obama's influence (or lack of), at best, all he would have been able to do was help push over the top, or slightly hurt, but not much more. The decision was most likely already made that Chicago would not host it a few weeks ago by the IOC.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 12:29 PM)
Why would Obama not want to go? I'd like to hear that reasoning.

In case what happened happens. It was a pretty unprecedented step for the US. But I think, a good one nonetheless. Say what you want about where I stand on the issue, but I love the idea of a high ranking government official try to win support for an initiative that would bring a lot of new jobs to the US in a time where employment is such a big issue. And I think I'd like that no matter who was in office.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 11:32 AM)
In case what happened happens. It was a pretty unprecedented step for the US. But I think, a good one nonetheless. Say what you want about where I stand on the issue, but I love the idea of a high ranking government official try to win support for an initiative that would bring a lot of new jobs to the US in a time where employment is such a big issue. And I think I'd like that no matter who was in office.

I would have been madder if he didn't go and we won. The President should be the nations biggest cheerleader, especially when an event is going to happen in his backyard. The results should be damned. I am very happy Obama went.