The What's Wrong with Rios Thread

hi8is

Alright gang...

We've seen a small sample size but putting his numbers aside - he looks god awful up there.

I know next to nothing about him... which is one reason for me starting this thread.

However, just by looking at him swing the bat - I'm always left feeling sick to my stomach.

His stance and swing is nothing near smooth, fluid, and compact.

He seems to have a ton of movement in the foundation of his body while the pitch is coming in...

For those more well informed in the area of baseball mechanics...

For those more well informed with the 50+ million dollar man... Alex Rios....

Shead a little light on my life. :gosoxretro:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Nokona @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 02:30 PM)
I think it's just snowballed into a huge clusterf*** of epic proportions. He's a talented ball player but right now it feels like he couldn't hit a beach ball if it was thrown to him.

But the question is can Walk fix him? Do we even want Walk back next year? I believe the guy can mash. He just needs the proper coaching. Can you guys imagine if Rios plays up to his full potential AND TCQ plays like he did in 2008 next year? Wow...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 02:43 PM)
Last year Rios was pretty rough in the first half and pretty darn good in the 2nd half. I wonder if changing teams and not playing every day might have kept him from finding a groove, mentally at least.

ding ding ding ding ding

although if you read threads here, you'd think he was the worst player in the MLB and KW got murdered on "trade" for him.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 07:54 PM)
ding ding ding ding ding

although if you read threads here, you'd think he was the worst player in the MLB and KW got murdered on "trade" for him.

The purpose of this thread was not to evaluate the trade or look at Rios from a perspective of value...

I was hoping to speak to his current difficulties and see if anyone had made some observations that would provide a new insight.

=)

How bout this one:

He makes a helluva lot of money and has security and no real motivation to excel.

The not playing every day is a pretty lame excuse for a guy brought in to help us win a (s***ty) division. He contributed nothing, zip.

I will say he does look good in a uniform and I am hoping for the best next spring when he obtains a new clean slate in my mind (until he proves he can or cannot cut it on the south side). This year however he has to be considered one of the team's biggest disappointments/flops.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 02:42 PM)
How bout this one:

He makes a helluva lot of money and has security and no real motivation to excel.

The not playing every day is a pretty lame excuse for a guy brought in to help us win a (s***ty) division. He contributed nothing, zip.

I will say he does look good in a uniform and I am hoping for the best next spring when he obtains a new clean slate in my mind (until he proves he can or cannot cut it on the south side). This year however he has to be considered one of the team's biggest disappointments/flops.

How many times are you going to blame Rios for the White Sox failing to win this division? It's quite like a broken record...

I'll be the first to admit that Rios has sucked, but he certainly hasn't been alone out there.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 03:42 PM)
How bout this one:

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZppppppppppptttt........

*CRASH*

Yep, there's that broken record.

Seriously, this has very little to do with one player named Rios.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 08:43 PM)
Last year Rios was pretty rough in the first half and pretty darn good in the 2nd half. I wonder if changing teams and not playing every day might have kept him from finding a groove, mentally at least.

I am hoping that 2010 sees better resultys. Wer know that KW has long coveted Alex Rios. He has him now, Rios doesn't have a good history. One pretty good year meant the Jays shelled out $60M and he has underperformed

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 03:01 PM)
I am hoping that 2010 sees better resultys. Wer know that KW has long coveted Alex Rios. He has him now, Rios doesn't have a good history. One pretty good year meant the Jays shelled out $60M and he has underperformed

I'd say Rios has a pretty good history. 2 all star appearances, both of them deserved, at age 25/26, a good but not stellar 2008 campaign, and a crappy 2009, after 2 years of development.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 01:47 PM)
However, just by looking at him swing the bat - I'm always left feeling sick to my stomach.

His stance and swing is nothing near smooth, fluid, and compact.

He seems to have a ton of movement in the foundation of his body while the pitch is coming in...

This is my impression too.

He seems like he is almost holding his right foot in the air while standing in the box... just barely putting pressure on it.

I understand the need for a timing mechanism, but it seems to make his base off-balance.

Add on top of it that he's pulling his head off the ball when he swings.

The combo makes him look pretty awkward up there.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 04:35 PM)
How many times are you going to blame Rios for the White Sox failing to win this division? It's quite like a broken record...

I'll be the first to admit that Rios has sucked, but he certainly hasn't been alone out there.

I'm a little more disturbed by the fact that greg has mentioned on several occasions how "good" Rios looks in a uniform. lol.

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 05:17 PM)

This is what sticks out to me about his swing. Most hitters you see their head move downward as the ball approaches...Rios, it appears, doesn't budge his head and is only seeing the ball for 58 feet, calculates where it's going to be, and swings there without really looking. I mean it looks like his eyes follow the ball, but his head is perfectly still and remains facing at the mound. Maybe I'm just seeing things or maybe he's always hit this way and it has worked for him in the past. Whatever the case may be, something looks very wrong with his head during his swing.

On a positive note, I don't think he has an extraordinarily long swing, seems reasonably compact actually. This fact makes me comfortable seeing his odd stance...anything he needs to do to be quick and compact works for me.

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 04:17 PM)
This is my impression too.

He seems like he is almost holding his right foot in the air while standing in the box... just barely putting pressure on it.

I understand the need for a timing mechanism, but it seems to make his base off-balance.

The combo makes him look pretty awkward up there.

Not to be a stickler, but it's his left foot he seems to be holding in the air....if it was his right foot, I am not sure how he would be standing...:)

I couldn't resist adding my take to the Rios thread, which I didn't create. Didn't mean to anger anybody with the broken record. Don't worry, I'm not gay. I even liked the Shawn Johnson pic that was posted where somebody thought she would get fat someday.

I just think Rios looks pretty good out there. Unfortunately he can't hit the ball where they ain't. I said I'd give him a clean slate next spring unlike Swisher who I will despise forever.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 06:20 PM)
I couldn't resist adding my take to the Rios thread, which I didn't create. Didn't mean to anger anybody with the broken record. Don't worry, I'm not gay. I even liked the Shawn Johnson pic that was posted where somebody thought she would get fat someday.

I just think Rios looks pretty good out there. Unfortunately he can't hit the ball where they ain't. I said I'd give him a clean slate next spring unlike Swisher who I will despise forever.

Swisher?!?! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZpppptttt!

Just kidding. :D

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 05:32 PM)
Not to be a stickler, but it's his left foot he seems to be holding in the air....if it was his right foot, I am not sure how he would be standing...:)

:0

LOL. Yeah, I meant left foot not right.

Sorry... I'm left handed so I think backwards. :)

Edited by scenario

I kind of wish we still had swish. Not sure how our financial situation would be, but he is a good player. He just had 1 off year. Aside from last season, he has been putting up .850 OPS years for the past 4 seasons.