Could we do it today?

Texsox

19 members have voted

1. 1. If a (insert party here) President announced a national goal like sending a man to the moon, would political fighting doom the project?

• Doomed, no way the other party allows it.
    • We'd come together and make it happen, just like the 60s
    • The (D)s would never all it if it was a GOP Prez
    • The (R)s would never allow it if it was a Dem Prez
    • Dude, this is too much reading.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 03:19 PM)
The results are about what I expected. Sad isn't it? We cannot rally for good, we can only rally against evil.

Well, I think there needs to be some sort of competition, don't you? There was such moral grounds, a definitive good vs. evil, to keep you on your toes.

I'd like to see us get to mars first, but obviously, mars just seems so out there in terms of possibilities. Granted, the moon probably felt like that.

I believe it is more because one party would not want the other party to gain any advantage. It is all about making one party look good and the other bad. What is good for the country takes a back seat. In today's environment, the GOP would have wanted Kennedy to fail and fail badly. (And, the Dems, had Kennedy been a ®, would have done the same.) Rush and the rest of the GOP radio network would have had some cute labels Kennedy's Folly or such and lambasted it at every turn. Pointing out the amount of money, etc.

And again, that is just because it is the example we have. The Dems would have tied it to global warming, announced every night how many children and elderly could have been fed with the money being wasted going to the moon, etc.

And the real losers? All of us.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 09:08 AM)
We couldn't even come together for an olympic bid. There is no way they would come together on something huge anymore, unless it became necessary.

"White kids taunted by children of Black Astronauts!" (Add in drudge's siren thing and we're all set)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 04:08 PM)
We couldn't even come together for an olympic bid. There is no way they would come together on something huge anymore, unless it became necessary.

I'm starting to believe tex, that things have changed, and we're all ready to tear each other down.

Can't really believe the fighting that occurred over trying to secure the olympics.

I mean, to give this forum credit, i haven't really seen fights in here spread out of this forum. I think it's agreed we all generally like each other as posters, and don't lend a whole bunch of creedance to political philosophy as a mark of character.

But it's starting to really feel like a person's politics are now entirely defining. It's getting annoying.

I'm not one of those people that leaves America and comes back "oh my god it's so much better in xx". In fact one of the things I like about Brazil is the similarities in personalities to America, which i find the west in general has a lot in common with each other. I really wanted Chicago to get it because I love Chicago and love to see it's skyline everywhere, films, sports, etc. And I'd love for the US to get a chance to show off a city like Chicago. And i'd love for us to make a huge leap with an exploration like the moon landing was. We really need something to rally around. And if it's a god damn war I swear it proves we are on a path that's hard to uproot ourselves from.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 05:38 PM)
I was really hoping, when the election happened... that politics would get boring again. And it wouldn't be all screaming and outrage all the time. I don't know if the media, which seems to need it to survive these days, will allow it.

Yeah, there was a funny article about 6 years after stewart went on crossfire saying those shows are bad for america, if he did harm, since they took of hannity and colms for...hannity. And now instead of debate shows of screaming it's just a one man show crying.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 11:08 AM)

Just when I thought there was some bottom we wouldn't cross, we grab shovels and start digging. And the anti crowd that is using this to make some comment about Obama is not mainstream. It is the far right and those that can not formulate an opinion without listing to Rush et al.

The question isn't fair. We don't go to the moon without a certain political environment (Cold War). Without propaganda, and the lack of information to know better (internet), none of the great American acts of unity happen. The politics of today aren't significantly different than before, the difference is that we are FAR more informed and don't always know what to do with that information.

QUOTE (G&T @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 10:12 AM)
The question isn't fair. We don't go to the moon without a certain political environment (Cold War). Without propaganda, and the lack of information to know better (internet), none of the great American acts of unity happen. The politics of today aren't significantly different than before, the difference is that we are FAR more informed and don't always know what to do with that information.

There are a number of ways that the politics of today are far different. You don't have things like the crossover votes that you used to; racist southern democrats who vote with the Republicans, educated northern republicans who vote with the Dems on issues. The parties have become much stronger, and polling-based indices of ideological rigidity reflect the same trend; it actually appears that this is a much more partisan era than it was 30 years ago. There is also vastly, VASTLY more money underlying and running the system today.

Even less than the moon, could you imagine the response if someone proposed creating something like the EPA today?