Arizona Fall League

scenario

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 17, 2009 -> 04:16 PM)
Be careful what you wish for...when it's sunny and warm every day you find yourself wishing for some variation...I am actually watching the football games in the midwest longing for Fall weather...

I'll second that notion. Sunshine 325 days a year and 100 degrees for 5-6 months gets really old. March is the only month I truly enjoy out here. If it's cloudy for 2-3 days in a row...I rejoice!

QUOTE (Wanne @ Oct 19, 2009 -> 11:28 AM)
I'll second that notion. Sunshine 325 days a year and 100 degrees for 5-6 months gets really old. March is the only month I truly enjoy out here. If it's cloudy for 2-3 days in a row...I rejoice!

Yeah, yeah, yeah...

Another sh*tty day in paradise.

I feel for you.

:P

QUOTE (scenario @ Oct 19, 2009 -> 12:15 PM)
Yeah, yeah, yeah...

Another sh*tty day in paradise.

I feel for you.

:P

Honestly, Wanne has it worse than me. Glendale and Phoenix are really, really hot. Vegas is 100 only 3 months or so out of the year. The rest of the year, the weather is very nice here.

I do agree with him about the overcast thing though. It snowed here last December and I was loving every minute of it. The locals out here have already started busting out their sweaters when we're still in the high 70's and low 80's...:)

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 01:08 PM)
I see Retherford getting an invte to Spring Training, and i can't see him not making the most out of that chance. He's a natural hitter, god only knows where we'll play him though.
Left/right field? DH?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 01:08 PM)
I see Retherford getting an invite to Spring Training, and I can't see him not making the most out of that chance. He's a natural hitter, god only knows where we'll play him though.

Is Retherford up for be being placed on the 40-man next month?

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 01:41 PM)
Is Retherford up for be being placed on the 40-man next month?

Probably not becaus he's not one of the players we're forced to add. When he gets added it'll probably be because he made the team. All I know is that, if he's still here come Spring Training, Jayson Nix has a hell of a battle ahead of him if he wants to keep his job.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 03:49 PM)
All I know is that, if he's still here come Spring Training, Jayson Nix has a hell of a battle ahead of him if he wants to keep his job.

Let's let the kid hit in AAA first before we make assumptions, though if he hits like .700 in ST, then yea that might be a different story though usually a rookie competing for a potential contending team (minus Hudson) probably won't have a chance. C.J. will make an outstanding utility man in the future, unless he keeps overachieving his talents, then maybe he can have a Craig Biggio like career.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 02:28 PM)
He can pitch? :o

Yep. Not that they want him to do that in the future... but he pitched some in college.

And he had one relief appearance last year for Winston-Salem.

Here's an article about CJ while he was at ASU that talks about his background...

Retherford's roles help ASU

The Arizona Republic, May. 31, 2006

Is there a position on the diamond that Arizona State University junior C.J. Retherford can't play?

Retherford has played third base, second base, catcher and pitcher this season. He played some outfield at South Mountain Community College and was shortstop for one season at Hamilton High.

Retherford was a standout pitcher at Hamilton, going 21-2 his final two seasons, and was the winner in the Class 5A championship game. But Retherford also could hit, which is why Hamilton coach Mike Woods played him at third base and shortstop when he wasn't pitching.

Retherford was a two-way player at South Mountain, where he hit .329 in two seasons and was 15-7 on the mound with a 3.14 ERA.

At ASU, he hit .287 during the regular season. However, Retherford has made only two pitching appearances. "I'll do whatever (ASU) asks me to do," Retherford said. "If they want me to pitch, I'll pitch. If not, I won't. I have no problem with that. I kind of got off to a shaky start this season, but I kind of like playing a lot of different positions. It gives you more opportunities to play."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-2...0,4568224.story

It also looks like the Sox are trying to fit Cassel into the long relief role next season. They may see Carrasco moving to the 7th inning role.

The byword for Cassel, who split 2009 between Double A and Triple A, is "consistency. With the style of pitcher I am and where I am in the organization, I see myself as a spot starter or a long-relief, multiple-innings guy. I'm happy they made a move with me last summer to see how I did out of the bullpen."